My Splawn quickrod, my band , guns n roses and a live clip ;)

• Members

I'm a big Guns N' Roses fan and I've seen two GN'R tribute acts before. From the videos on YouTube, I'm guessing you guys are more of a "hard rock tribute" act, as only the lead singer sort of dressed and acted like Axl.

He gets Axl down very closely on the higher register "screechy" parts, but not so much on the lower parts on "It's So Easy." Still, I'm pretty impressed with the performances. It can be a challenge to cover Guns well and you guys did a pretty good job. :cool:

• Members

Music sounds great! Love the guitar tone... and the singer nails Axel's delivery and stage prescense. :thu: I've seen a few inferior GnR tributes in my neck of the woods. You guys would slay them. Even though it seems nitpicky... I agree with Tim... someone needs to don the black wig and Top Hat. It was a big part of the image.

But that takes nothing away from the performances!:thu:

• Members

So easy to do too. Put a curly black wig and a top hat on pretty much ANYBODY and they are going to look like Slash. Is there a reason why your guitarist WON'T do this?

:thu:

Exactly.

If you're gonna do a tribute, don't do it half-ass - what's the point of that?

• Members

because i hate to do this.. when i look to some band wearing the same clothes as the original, i find it cheesy... except for our singer
;)

UHH.

You can't call yourself a tribute if you don't go all out to look and act the part.

I mean - why would anyone hire your band in favor of other acts that do in fact provide "The GNR Experience"

Honestly it sounds like tribute bands are not your bag - maybe you should switch gears and do something that has a better chance of success?

Check out the "Atomic Punks". They play Van Halen better than Van Halen does these days. So they've got the music DOWN.

They also have the look down.

I don't care how good you are musically, you're not gonna be able to pull off a "tribute act" without the look.

You may be able to do a "tribute to the music of...", but good luck getting gigs that way.

MiniKiss gets gigs 100% based on their look and the novelty - as I understand it, they play to back tracks. Just sayin' bro.

• Members

because i hate to do this.. when i look to some band wearing the same clothes as the original, i find it cheesy... except for our singer
;)

IMO if you are a tribute band part of it is SELLING it. With the music and the look. The music sounds good and the singer is doing a good Axl but the rest need to sell it a little more too. At least 1 guitar player should be doing slash. The rest of the guys are OK (since axl & slash are the most iconic) but I would even go so far as having the 2nd guitar player dress like izzy and the bassist wear at least a blonde wig. The drummer gets a pass but he can don a blonde wig too.

unless you are just tributing 80s Hard rock with a lot of GnR. Then you guys are OK.

• Members

because i hate to do this.. when i look to some band wearing the same clothes as the original and WIG, i find it real cheesy... except for our singer
;)

Hate to break it to you, but tribute bands are cheezy, period. (And I don't mean that in a negative way. I like tribute bands and I like cheese.) The whole point is to recreate a certain experience for the audience. Not saying you can't be an GnR tribute who only does the music (you can be anything you want. There are no set rules to music or performance), but if you're looking to get gigs and market yourself as a band who is as close to re-creating GnR as can be done, a band who sounds AND looks like them will be more successful.

It shouldn't be about what YOU find cheezy, but what the audience would want.

• Members

It shouldn't be about what YOU find cheezy, but what the audience would want.

Unless you don't have an audience in sight, or goals and direction that will get your band out of the basement and onto the stage. :idea:

Makes for good vanity CD's though. :thu:

Not trying to slam you dude, just trying to wake you up to the reality of the situation - you're being incredibly unrealistic and you seem to be completely ignoring the path that has been proven successful for countless established tribute acts.

You're swimming upstream....

• Members

Here's the Catch-22 with tribute bands and costumes:

The smaller the gig, the cheezier the costumes look. If you're playing a small club for 20 people, it can be quite cheezy to be up on stage with a Slash wig. But if you're playing a big room with a big audience, the overall effect of the costumes is great. The Catch is that you're probably not going to GET the bigger gigs unless you are willing to suffer through some smaller gigs in your costumes.

• Members

IMO if you are a tribute band part of it is SELLING it. With the music and the look. The music sounds good and the singer is doing a good Axl but the rest need to sell it a little more too. At least 1 guitar player should be doing slash. The rest of the guys are OK (since axl & slash are the most iconic) but I would even go so far as having the 2nd guitar player dress like izzy and the bassist wear at least a blonde wig. The drummer gets a pass but he can don a blonde wig too.

unless you are just tributing 80s Hard rock with a lot of GnR. Then you guys are OK.

WEll, i saw alot of tribute band in my area and its just a little amount of them who wear the same clothes and wig.. People don'T really care as long as the music rock!! . ANd i still find it cheesy anyway. Do you see the STEVEN ADLER APPETITE band members dressing like SLASH AND AXL????.. NO!!

• Members

So I guess these guys aren't real 'tribute' bands?

If they didn't have a bunch of other youtube videos on their page and only one person dressing the part of GNR .... :poke:

If they really a GNR only band now, then yes they fail at tribute band. Need more than just good sound.

• Members

WEll, i saw alot of tribute band in my area and its just a little amount of them who wear the same clothes and wig.. People don'T really care as long as the music rock!! . ANd i still find it cheesy anyway. Do you see the STEVEN ADLER APPETITE band members dressing like SLASH AND AXL????.. NO!!

Uh....you don't think Steven Adler has his own gimmick already for drawing crowds? When you get a former member of the band to join yours, maybe I'll bother to go see you. Otherwise, I'm going to leave disappointed that you were too lazy or think you're too cool to try and look the part.

Look, you don't HAVE to dress like Slash if you don't want to. Just tellin' ya..the truth is that if you have two musicially-identical GnR tribute bands, the one who dresses like them will get more work for more money. In fact, the dress-up band will get more work for more money than a lot of GnR tribute bands who ARE BETTER musically.

Just the way the business works. You can do all the handstands you want trying to convince yourself otherwise because you personally find dressing up to be "cheesy". But it doesn't change the facts, my friend.

• Members

If they didn't have a bunch of other youtube videos on their page and only one person dressing the part of GNR .... :poke:

Other videos of other music doesn't say anything about what their goals might be as a GnR tribute. I can only go by what I read, and when a guy posts that his band is a "tribute to GnR", then I figure that's what the subject it. He said nothing to indicate "check out our cool GnR cover in the midst of our classic rock set".

And no, there is no difference between calling yourself a "Tribute to GnR" and a "GnR Tribute Band".

Archived