Going out as a duo,what's the best way to fill the gaps....

• Members

...left by just having two band members there?

First off not sure but this seemed the most logical place to ask.

One's playing guitar and sings,the other's behind a keyboard and sings also but the space behind will look very empty.

Any duos on here that have any ideas?

I'll be getting some lighting and most the time plaing smaller pubs,but have an opportunity to play larger venues we would need to fill-out the space around us.

• Members

A spare guitar on a stand? It might also help to bring out a rug or something to put underneath you to redefine the space.

I'm playing in a duo these days, and here's a bit of advice--some venues want a "duo", and some venues want a "band", even if it's a "two-person band".

• Members

A spare guitar on a stand? It might also help to bring out a rug or something to put underneath you to redefine the space.

I'm playing in a duo these days, and here's a bit of advice--some venues want a "duo", and some venues want a "band", even if it's a "two-person band".

In the sense that we should market ourselves as a "band" to some places and "duo" to others?I'm on guitar and the singer (she) can play a bit of keys and was thinking of just letting her concentrate on the singing,but then it would look unbalanced to me.

What's the setup in your,erm, setup?

Yeah I have an acoustic,a backup LP and my marshall so that would fill some of the space.

• Members

we have a light tree in the middle behind us, I use 2 small amps side by side in stereo/dual amp. I have my hybrid on a stand next to the light stand when I'm not playing it. not sure if you can see much in this vid.

[YOUTUBE]o3u5Sbz9zGk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Is that an Epi VJR variation and cab?I have two that I'm converting at the moment for a bit of amp-building experience,and hopefully have a couple of amp suitable for home.A good thing about there being more room is that you can use a couple amps,like you're doing,as well as keeping guitars to hand.Cheers for the advice!

Are you using pre-programmed drums or doing it on the fly?We have backing tracks with just the vocals and guitar taken out and it sounds pretty good.As she's the singer there's a lot of Lady Gaga,pop/dance:facepalm: but we have to do it to get the gigs.It's tempting to do more guitar-based "real" songs,but then we wouldn't be as busy.

Love that voxy tone you have,I'd be interested to find out more about that other head you're using though?

• Members

I don't think it makes any difference what your "stage" looks like, in terms of how full of equipment it is. Chances are, if the venue wants a duo, there's not going to be a lot of room to be concerned about. When I play in my duo, we have two mic stands, two guitar stands, two acoustic guitars, a small unpowered mixer, and two powered speakers which we used to put up on speaker stands but now find work just as well on the floor. That is, we have them set up as floor monitors, but aiming towards the audience instead of back in our direction. Venues hiring duos tend not to be too loud, and don't want too much volume from the performers, so you don't need massive sound projection.

• Members

Yes that's true,but what with the recession and all that there's a chance of getting the small to medium sized venues.With that in mind I wouldn't want it to look like we're lacking anything.A crowd that are used to seeing a band (especially the drum kit) might find it strange.

I know they're not there to see us - we're definately just background noise and there to sell beer but just after ideas.We're not trying to steal people's gigs, the landlords are already cutting the bands down anyway.

That's great cheers for the advice

• Members

In the sense that we should market ourselves as a "band" to some places and "duo" to others?I'm on guitar and the singer (she) can play a bit of keys and was thinking of just letting her concentrate on the singing,but then it would look unbalanced to me.

What's the setup in your,erm, setup?

Yeah I have an acoustic,a backup LP and my marshall so that would fill some of the space.

We're upright bass/vocals and guitar/ukulele/vocals, with harmonica, kazoo, stompboards, and whatever else we can get in the trunk. There are some places that "don't book solo/duo acts"--the rock clubs--and other places that "don't want a full band"--restaurants/wine bars. Any duo with sense can do either one, but that little bit of marketing seems to make a bit of difference.

• Members
Is that an Epi VJR variation and cab?I have two that I'm converting at the moment for a bit of amp-building experience,and hopefully have a couple of amp suitable for home.A good thing about there being more room is that you can use a couple amps,like you're doing,as well as keeping guitars to hand.Cheers for the advice!

Are you using pre-programmed drums or doing it on the fly?We have backing tracks with just the vocals and guitar taken out and it sounds pretty good.As she's the singer there's a lot of Lady Gaga,pop/dance:facepalm: but we have to do it to get the gigs.It's tempting to do more guitar-based "real" songs,but then we wouldn't be as busy.

Love that voxy tone you have,I'd be interested to find out more about that other head you're using though?

We are just using a cheap Yamaha home keyboard's rhythm section using the footswitch for start/stop. Our setlists have the rhythm setting and speed written beside the song, so my bass player punches them in between songs. Takes 10-15 seconds. Amps are Vox AD60VTX Valvetronix (using AC30 model much of the time, including here) Other amp is a Blackstar HT-5 head, but it is on its way out. Getting sick of it.

• Members

We are just using a cheap Yamaha home keyboard's rhythm section using the footswitch for start/stop. Our setlists have the rhythm setting and speed written beside the song, so my bass player punches them in between songs. Takes 10-15 seconds. Amps are Vox AD60VTX Valvetronix (using AC30 model much of the time, including here) Other amp is a Blackstar HT-5 head, but it is on its way out. Getting sick of it.

Really?Blimey,it sounds good to my ears thought it was the real thing!I have a Tonelab that I (never) use as a backup but might have to have a go at the settings again.

• Members
Really?Blimey,it sounds good to my ears thought it was the real thing!I have a Tonelab that I (never) use as a backup but might have to have a go at the settings again.

I am a huge fan of the original cloth grill Valvetronix amps. The Vox tones are killer! Just bought a used Tonelab LE from a member here but haven't had much time with it yet.

• Members

I don't think it makes any difference what your "stage" looks like, in terms of how full of equipment it is. Chances are, if the venue wants a duo, there's not going to be a lot of room to be concerned about.
When I play in my duo, we have two mic stands, two guitar stands, two acoustic guitars, a small unpowered mixer, and two powered speakers which we used to put up on speaker stands but now find work just as well on the floor. That is, we have them set up as floor monitors, but aiming towards the audience instead of back in our direction. Venues hiring duos tend not to be too loud, and don't want too much volume from the performers, so you don't need massive sound projection.

Yes. I am somewhat confused by the question. I assumed by the thread title that the OP was talking about sonic space. Our stage is pretty bare. And our stage is usually not really a stage. :lol:

• Members

Much more imortant things to worry about than "filling up the stage".

But if its really important to you get some of those life-size cardboard celebrities and make them part of your band!

Care to suggest a few things other than "cardboard cutouts"?

We're looking into getting lights,that sort of thing and I wanted to see what other people do so we we don't look out of place.

The bands here have the PA either side,a banner behind the drummer with their name on it,and with the drum kit etc it all looks balanced.Take all that awawy and to my eyes it looks empty.

Now that isn't my priority obviously,but it's another thing that needs to be addressed as much as the other things.I'm trying to improve the whole thing,not just the visual.

• Members

the best duo I know are a couple guys where the lead singer plays 12 string and the other guy plays congas, steel drum, blows harp and sings backups.

really full sound and seamless transitions by the conga drummer between steel drums , harp, and singing backup. He can play congas and blow harp a the same time. Its a freekin amazing show. If you wanna hear them send me a PM. It really shows what two guys can do totally with out the aid of back tracks or over dubs. I have some live mixer burn stuff from a show.

• Members

Yes. I am somewhat confused by the question. I assumed by the thread title that the OP was talking about sonic space. Our stage is pretty bare. And our stage is usually not really a stage.
:lol:

We have pretty good backing tracks that fill the space that you're talking about.Although looking at the thread in the main forum,the title does seem misleading,especially with 'duo' in there!

Maybe it's not as big a problem as I think,not a bad idea to try and improve anyway.Are you in a duo yourself?

• Members

We have pretty good backing tracks that fill the space that you're talking about.Although looking at the thread in the main forum,the title does seem misleading,especially with 'duo' in there!

Maybe it's not as big a problem as I think,not a bad idea to try and improve anyway.Are you in a duo yourself?

Yes. It's just two acoustics/vocals though... No tracks.

Maybe the venues you play are different, or slightly larger than most places here in St. Louis where a duo might play. The places I play actually prefer when you take up less space, because no one's tripping over you and your equipment in a venue where table/ walking space is of the essence.

Then again, if you're competing for a full band slot in the weekends at a 100+ place with a stage (having the tracks and all), perhaps a bare stage is a bad thing. :idk:

• Members
Yes. It's just two acoustics/vocals though... No tracks.

Maybe the venues you play are different, or slightly larger than most places here in St. Louis where a duo might play. The places I play actually prefer when you take up less space, because no one's tripping over you and your equipment in a venue where table/ walking space is of the essence.

Then again, if you're competing for a full band slot in the weekends at a 100+ place with a stage (having the tracks and all), perhaps a bare stage is a bad thing.
:idk:

you look better onstage than I do!!!

Archived