Ugh... I am the band statue...

mstreck

• Members

I was watching some video of last night's show and I look like a freakin' mannequin on stage... I know I was dead tired, but I didn't realize that I was that "still" on stage.

What do you guys do to get yourselves movin' and groovin' when your ass is dragging?

• Members

What do you guys do to get yourselves movin' and groovin' when your ass is dragging?

Practice your songs in the dark.

Practice standing up - make yourself look straight ahead - see how far you can get without looking at your hand on the neck.

That's where it starts IMO.

• Members

I'm not making excuses, but I was exhausted by that point. I know thats not acceptable - we need to be the party!

Except for a few riffs, I can play almost every song we do without looking at my fretboard. I just look really bored in that video. Everyone else is hopping around and I'm standing there with my feet planted. It really detracts from our stage vibe. :facepalm:

I stayed pretty close to my footswitch for that song so I could boost the lead riffs, so maybe it was just that one song, but I have to wonder if I look that bored all night. I know I wasn't like that for the first few songs of that set, I even go out into the audience (I'm wireless), but at some point I went into snooze mode.

• Members

Everyone else is hopping around and I'm standing there with my feet planted.

Small steps . . . left, close, right, close . . . . You're not auditioning for the Temptations, but I've seen some really good guitar players who had this subtle groove going on. It becomes subconscious after a while.

• Members

5 hour energy - seriously. I pop one right when we're about to start. It's good stuff.

You really have to force yourself sometimes too.

The only thing that 5 hour energy stuff does for me is give me a stomach ache.

Sometimes it helps to find a cute girl and play to her, it gives you a reason to not just stand there.

Max

• Members

I don't think I could play being that still. I don't jump around a whole lot, but I've always at least got my feet tapping and I'm bouncing around a bit - I guess it's just a physical response to the music and my way of locking in with the rhythm section. Even if I'm really tired, something kicks in when I get onstage, usually.

So, I dunno, I guess my advice would be just put some effort into feeling the music, listen to what your bassist and drummer are doing and let it give you energy.

• Members

The only thing that 5 hour energy stuff does for me is give me a stomach ache.

Sometimes it helps to find a cute girl and play to her, it gives you a reason to not just stand there.

Max

I was really beat at a gig about a month ago. I was seriously worried about finishing the gig and staying awake for the drive home. Somebody gave me one and a half hour later I was bopping all over the place. Wide awake all the way home too. I love the stuff.

• Moderators

Don't start moving in a "get-in-to-it" manner. That's what you see when guys are trying so hard to "move-onstage". Lame, lame, lame. Rather, get groovy. Listen to your kick-ass drummer. Relax and let him put a smile on your face. Hey, he's good. This is why I do this!

Let the pulse drive you, not some shtick for hire aesthetic.

Step back and let the wonder of this incredibly cool gig you have sink in. The best time to show appreciation for this gift is when you're sharing with the people who make it possible. Your band mates and your audience. Why am I here?

TO PLAY MUSIC AND SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS!!!! THIS IS WHAT I LOVE!!

Then make that connection with your audience. It can be as simple as a Miles scowl, a Lennon grin... or as wild as an Iggy or Angus spasm. The key is to be real. Yourself. You. You're pretty cool. Share it in a real way. You're the guy with the guitar. Invite them to your party.

Do not emulate some barfly, party band persona. Rather, party in your way and get comfortable sharing it with a crowd. Understand what "foot-light sense" is. See what they see. Now project your cool groovy self to the crowd and let them know this is the best party. Right here, right now, damn right.

Groovy.

• Members

Cute girls and alcohol. +1

But seriously, sometimes you just have to force it. If the crowd isn't giving you enough energy to be excited, then try to give THEM enough energy to get excited.

agreed! Since I am the drummer I can't really move much. If I catch us looking bored I'll make sure I add some flair to my playing to try and get the rest of the guys to liven up. If the crowd aint there though... uggh! It's hard.

• Members

Don't start moving in a "get-in-to-it" manner. That's what you see when guys are trying so hard to "move-onstage". Lame, lame, lame. Rather, get groovy.
Listen to your kick-ass drummer. Relax and let him put a smile on your face. Hey, he's good. This is why I do this!

Let the pulse drive you, not some shtick for hire aesthetic.

Step back and let the wonder of this incredibly cool gig you have sink in. The best time to show appreciation for this gift is when you're sharing with the people who make it possible. Your band mates and your audience. Why am I here?

TO PLAY MUSIC AND SHARE IT WITH YOU GUYS!!!! THIS IS WHAT I LOVE!!

Yeah. This is pretty much what I was getting at. :thu:

• Members

agreed! Since I am the drummer I can't really move much. If I catch us looking bored I'll make sure I add some flair to my playing to try and get the rest of the guys to liven up. If the crowd aint there though... uggh! It's hard.

Our drummer will sometimes play standing up to kick the band into gear.

• Members

depends on the instrument for me

with drums I move around a lot as it's a pretty full-body kinetic instrument anyway (sometimes too much and my limb independence goes...you can hear the accent on a snare hit leak over into a cymbal ride and like that)

I tried theremin and it's really hard b/c part of the playing is NOT moving

with stuff like cello or double bass I'm not very good so I have to be still lest I lose my reference point. Better players seem to be better at moving around, though in school orchestra back when I had to play in section guys would complain if you moved around or tapped your toe. and even the little I did move around crated problems in front of a mic, though these days I've seen some on-instrument mic boom systems, but never used one and am a little skeptical

for guitar, just depends what I'm playing

Sounds like you had a bad night though and were tired.

I mean you should still try to engage the audience and not phone stuff in, but we all have bad nights.

I MOSTLY have bad nights :D

• Members

I was watching some video of last night's show and I look like a freakin' mannequin on stage... I know I was dead tired, but I didn't realize that I was that "still" on stage.

I'm a Red Bull addict. I usually drink 3-4 before the show and 1-2 per set. As for alcohol, I find that too much trashes my voice, so I might do a shot before the first set and one between sets, but that's about it.

• Members

Cuervo, dude...Cuervo.

One or two ice cold shots as you are warming up before you start.

Then maybe one more on the next break.

Chase it with a Red Bull...you'll get your stamina, and mask any wobbles the tequila might give you.

That's probably all you'll need...it's like happy medicine.

It's been my formula for several years, now.

• Moderators

On another note, some people are just really bad at moving around onstage, and when they do it seems awkward and forced. Or other times you really might just be too tired, or facing a physical limitation like needing to do vocals and hit pedals often. In situations like these, I believe if you make eye contact around the room as much as possible and maintain good, confident posture, it's the next best thing... just a thought!

• Members

On another note, some people are just really bad at moving around onstage, and when they do it seems awkward and forced. Or other times you really might just be too tired, or facing a physical limitation like needing to do vocals and hit pedals often. In situations like these, I believe if you make eye contact around the room as much as possible and maintain good, confident posture, it's the next best thing... just a thought!

Good point!

I remember reading Leonard Nimoy's autobiography and in there he talks about being in the AUDIENCE at a Harry Belafonte concert where harry stands still for pretty much the whole show. At one point, Nimoy describes how Harry just makes one gesture - lifting an arm out during a pivotal part and how effective it was.

• Members

depends on the instrument for me

with stuff like cello or double bass I'm not very good so I have to be still lest I lose my reference point. Better players seem to be better at moving around, though in school orchestra back when I had to play in section guys would complain if you moved around or tapped your toe. and even the little I did move around crated problems in front of a mic, though these days I've seen some on-instrument mic boom systems, but never used one and am a little skeptical

Check out Skillet's violin and cello players...those dudes rock out!

• Members

Check out Skillet's violin and cello players...those dudes rock out!

there's tons of guys who can certainly rock out (I try to catch apocalyptica every time they come in town - their full on metal hair swing makes me smile), there are event those belt mounted electric instruments for those cellist that want to walk about

unfortunately...that ain't me :(

I have enough trouble just not screetching ;)

Archived