Songs for a wedding?

• Members

Here's the setlist we did at a recent wedding. You by no means have to do these exact same songs. It isn't important that you do "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Shout" or "Don't Stop Believin'" specifically. But it IS important that you give them familiar songs they can have a good time partying to. The reasons this set works VERY well for us at weddings are these:

1) a variety of material. You see how we start we some older, cheezy stuff at the beginning, work our way through styles and age-of-material and end up rocking hard at the end. This format works very well. And at a wedding, more so than at any nightclub, you're going to have a wide variety of people and tastes. So giving them a couple of country songs, AND a couple of disco songs, AND a couple of hard rockers is important to do if you can.

2) sing-a-long/dance-a-long stuff the get the audience involved. It's a wedding. They want to celebrate. Let it be THEIR party and you provide the backdrop for them to do so.

SET 1

BROWN EYED GIRL

BRICK HOUSE

YOU MAY BE RIGHT

I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

LET

• Members

Here's the setlist we did at a recent wedding. You by no means have to do these exact same songs. It isn't important that you do "Brown Eyed Girl" or "Shout" or "Don't Stop Believin'" specifically. But it IS important that you give them familiar songs they can have a good time partying to. The reasons this set works VERY well for us at weddings are these:

1) a variety of material. You see how we start we some older, cheezy stuff at the beginning, work our way through styles and age-of-material and end up rocking hard at the end. This format works very well. And at a wedding, more so than at any nightclub, you're going to have a wide variety of people and tastes. So giving them a couple of country songs, AND a couple of disco songs, AND a couple of hard rockers is important to do if you can.

2) sing-a-long/dance-a-long stuff the get the audience involved. It's a wedding. They want to celebrate. Let it be THEIR party and you provide the backdrop for them to do so.

SET 1

BROWN EYED GIRL

BRICK HOUSE

YOU MAY BE RIGHT

I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

LET

• Members

Platters - "Only You"

Beatles - "And I Love Her"

Bobby Vinton - "My Special Angel"

Can you pull off a shortened (appropriate verses) version of

Celine Dion's "Because You Love Me " ?

How about your own version of the Jackson 5 / Mariah Carey song "I'll Be There"

• Members
I wouldn't do Wild Horses at a wedding. It's about a couple trying to repair their relationship and avert a bad split!

yes, I know but its still a great slow song for other couples to dance to, and has some great lines in it, even if it doesn't fit the "uniting forever" thing.

• Members

And heck, FRIENDS IN LOW PLACES always goes over great at weddings and it isn't exactly on topic.

Yes, but the OP is talking about songs to play pre-ceremony while the people are waiting. After the ceremony at the reception, anything goes, IMO. But while people are waiting for the ceremony to begin, I don't think an imminent breakup song is appropriate. :wave:

• Members
Yes, but the OP is talking about songs to play pre-ceremony while the people are waiting. After the ceremony at the reception, anything goes, IMO. But while people are waiting for the ceremony to begin, I don't think an imminent breakup song is appropriate.
:wave:

Ahhh, I was thinking a mixed bag timeframe. Yes, this would want to be more formal and relationship positive!:thu:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I would love to do a wedding and do the song "big day' by XTC. Here is the lyrics:

It's your big day, your big day

So you want to tie the knot

Tie it tight, don't let it rot, the memory of this day

Are you deafened by the bells

Could be heaven, could be hell

In a cell for two

Big day come and big day go

Life goes on after the show

But will your love have the fire and glow

Like on the big day

Statistics they don't say a lot

But can you keep what you have got forever together

There's a lesson to be learnt

Many fingers have been burnt with the touch of gold

Love can come and love can go

What your chance is I don't know

But if you have love then let it show like on the big day

You're a new recruit

The big day

in your wedding suit today

Like on the big day

yes you're looking fine

The big day

sign on the dotted line

The big day

it's your wedding march today

and here is the you tube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSffLm0fjq8

• Members

How much time you looking to fill?

Vocal or instrumental?

is it stylistically open or do they want you to stick to certain styles? (like "classical" -- ie baroque classical romantic period stuff -- or do you do that?)

are you actually doing the service (processional, etc)?

Archived