Tips on Judging Draw??

Dancebass

• Members

Maybe you guys can help me out with this. My band (original stuff) has been working hard this year to grow regionally. We've been traveling pretty steadily and sometimes we do ok, sometimes it really sucks.

A lot of the success or failure of the show depends on what local band we chose to team up with for the out of town show. If we get a solid partner that works hard to promote and has a decent draw of their own, it's VERY helpful and we'll do a show trade with them and set them up with a good show here with us. Normally after one or two shows like that we can deal directly with the bar on our own terms and have a good night without having to return the favor here at home to anyone.

Here's the problem. We get burned sometimes. Everyone always puts their best foot forward online and often bands are over representing their actual draw. A few pictures from a festival they may have played, some mypace friend adding software, etc etc. Sometimes a band will LOOK like they have it together and then pull absolute {censored} at the show.

Can you guys think of any tricky ways to circumvent these smokescreens and get a more accurate view of what these bands actually pull in? Sometimes I can't find anyone local to back check'em for me, I need to be able to get this research sorted on line myself if possible.

• Moderators

Can you guys think of any tricky ways to circumvent these smokescreens and get a more accurate view of what these bands actually pull in?

Look at the online calendars on the websites of better local venues. If you see them in any headlining slots, especially Thurs-Sat, it's a good clue they draw well.

:idk:

• Members

Maybe you guys can help me out with this. My band (original stuff) has been working hard this year to grow regionally. We've been traveling pretty steadily and sometimes we do ok, sometimes it really sucks.

A lot of the success or failure of the show depends on what local band we chose to team up with for the out of town show. If we get a solid partner that works hard to promote and has a decent draw of their own, it's VERY helpful and we'll do a show trade with them and set them up with a good show here with us. Normally after one or two shows like that we can deal directly with the bar on our own terms and have a good night without having to return the favor here at home to anyone.

Here's the problem. We get burned sometimes. Everyone always puts their best foot forward online and often bands are over representing their actual draw. A few pictures from a festival they may have played, some mypace friend adding software, etc etc. Sometimes a band will LOOK like they have it together and then pull absolute {censored} at the show.

Can you guys think of any tricky ways to circumvent these smokescreens and get a more accurate view of what these bands actually pull in? Sometimes I can't find anyone local to back check'em for me, I need to be able to get this research sorted on line myself if possible.

know anyone in the areas of the shows? get them to ask the venue (bar whatev) how they do, how many they expect or had prior.....:idk:

Archived