Anyone learning the new Ceelo single?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For all of you in party bands, I can't see how this wouldn't completely kill, although I think the title lyrics are easy, personally, and the most difficult line to handle is the one that rhymes with "gold digger"...

:cop:

I was disappointed to find out this morning that there is a 'safe' version as well now, called "Forget You", so all of you without a pair can cover it as well...

:poke:

• Members

For all of you in party bands, I can't see how this wouldn't completely kill, although I think the title lyrics are easy, personally, and the most difficult line to handle is the one that rhymes with "gold digger"...

:cop:

In the past I've used "Cracka". Its a good sub.

• Members

I haven't heard this song before but it sounds like a hit. I am sure radio in my area will pick it up in a few months. when that happens I think we can whip up a cover of this in about an hour.
:thu:

I'm going to lose that bridge at the end.. it's the least catchy party of the song and could easily train wreck. It will make it into a 2:45 second song unless I want to do just a vocal chorus at the end with the audience singing along. I'll play that by ear. We'll try it out next weekend.

• Members

I'm going to lose that bridge at the end.. it's the least catchy party of the song and could easily train wreck. It will make it into a 2:45 second song unless I want to do just a vocal chorus at the end with the audience singing along. I'll play that by ear. We'll try it out next weekend.

cool.. like always, let us know how it works!

• Members

Agreed about the bridge... instead of losing it completely, maybe keep the main beat and drop some freestyle in there instead with localized lyrics... or do an audience singalong during that part, so you can finish the song cleanly.

• Members

If the song is well-known enough to be a big sing-along there's a couple of good call-and-response moments in that bridge, though.

I use the "Tiffany Twisted" theory for that... Crowds always know the first verse, they sometimes know the second, and rarely know the third. I doubt we will get a functional sing-a-long for the bridge. I'm better off doing just another chorus and having the audience sing the "{censored} you" part having them repeat it a few times. I don't know much but I know people love yelling "{censored} you" in big groups.

• Members

Well, I think the song is going to be huge. At least in clubs. The 'clean' version is lame. Amazing how much difference one word can make. And I'm no fan of profanity-for-profanity's sake. But it works in this song. Something about the profanity laid over such a fun/poppy groove.

Not sure we've got too many places we could/should play it (unless we try the clean version). But I would expect a lot of requests for it.

At least I HOPE any napkins I get sent up to stage with "{censored} YOU" written on it will be a request.....

• Members

I let the guys hear it last night. We are going to wait to see if it hits area radio because right now (to them) it is the same as chocolate rain and the Slap Chop Remix. (little side bar- I did part of the slap chop remix one night... 3 people knew what I was doing.)

Anyway, we are going to wait on it and musically it looks like we can bang it out in 1 night.

2 million + hits in about a week. WOW. Just have to see if area radio grabs it in PA.

• Members

I let the guys hear it last night. We are going to wait to see if it hits area radio because right now (to them) it is the same as chocolate rain and the Slap Chop Remix. (little side bar- I did part of the slap chop remix one night... 3 people knew what I was doing.)

Anyway, we are going to wait on it and musically it looks like we can bang it out in 1 night.

2 million + hits in about a week. WOW. Just have to see if area radio grabs it in PA.

It almost might be a bigger hit if radio DIDN'T grab it. Too bad there's a 'clean' version because it kind of ruins it. There's never been an "internet only" hit before. Just the novelty of "this is the ONLY way to hear this song" could work for it.

Does anybody remember "The Rodeo Song" that was HUGE back in the 80s and EVERYBODY knew it even though it was only played on jukeboxes because of the profanity? I could see it maybe becoming that sort of an underground novelty hit.

• Members

It almost might be a bigger hit if radio DIDN'T grab it. Too bad there's a 'clean' version because it kind of ruins it. There's never been an "internet only" hit before. Just the novelty of "this is the ONLY way to hear this song" could work for it.

Does anybody remember "The Rodeo Song" that was HUGE back in the 80s and EVERYBODY knew it even though it was only played on jukeboxes because of the profanity? I could see it maybe becoming that sort of an underground novelty hit.

hahah! I DO remember the rodeo song! Well there goes working for the next few minutes. I have to search the interwebs and listen to it. :thu:

I think this {censored} you song is an internet hit now and I am sure it will continue to grow. Its a catchy little tune actually.

We started playing along with it last night when I pulled it up on the studio PC. The problem we will have is some of our guys will not want to learn it if it isn't a radio hit. That's what I was told last night: We'll learn it when the radio starts beating it to death. Who knows tho, if enough young hot girls ask for it, it will get to our setlist faster. :)

• Members

I HATED the Rodeo Song. With a passion. I refused to do it because I thought it was a piece of garbage desgined to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I think it's a cheap gimmick to get people fired up by dropping curse words into a song.

But I really like the Cee-Lo song. I think I'd be very hesitant to do it, given some of the places we play, but...damn, that's a killer track. And I agree with everybody, the sanitized version is really lame.

• Members

I HATED the Rodeo Song. With a passion. I refused to do it because I thought it was a piece of garbage desgined to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I think it's a cheap gimmick to get people fired up by dropping curse words into a song.

I agree with that. It was a gimmick whereas I think "{censored} You" is actually catchy and a bit clever (in addition to a bit of gimmick tossed in.) My point was that it was the unavailablity of the song that helped make it such a hit. IIRC, it wasn't even available for sale. You could ONLY hear it on a jukebox.

Archived