Make the crowd feel welcome and part of the fun

jeff42

• Members

Something I have been thinking about this morning when I should be working :lol:

At our Hometown area gig friday night there were alot of our regular fans there to see us. Fans that over the last 8 years have got to know each other if they didn't already and are very comforatable with each other. It tends to feel like a big party with all of them now. Every show some new people come that are friends of fans and they intergrate into the growing group that frequents our hometown shows. But what about the new people that don't know anyone? The people seeing you for the 1st time that may not know "the group" Do you do anything to make them feel welcome?

I have heard from some people that the crowd another local band draws which is a little smaller than ours isn't as welcoming. I was told it was like crashing a wedding or something. Their crowd was their crowd and if they didn't know you, you were intruding.

Since we don't have a crowd of 100s us seeing each week in these smaller places I make sure between sets I talk with any unfamiliar faces. Try to get them to feel more a part of it all. So they come out again of course.

On friday there was a group of about 10 or so I didn't know and found out they have never seen us before. We tried made sure they felt like part of the good time and not intruding on a private party. We made sure they sang some parts with the band and gave out a few Ts to them. We didn't point them out as the new guys to everyone or anything like that... We just did what we normally do with our crowd, like walk on the dance floor with a mic and have people take turns singing lines of a song, but made sure they did too.

I may be rambling a bit but that's ok, I don't know if anyone else sees this happen or what. Just thought it would be a good topic for discussion. Way better than a crazy guy playing guitar in his robe that wants to beat up board members through the Interwebs.

• Members

we do that too even though when we 1st started that was a no-no. Our female vocalist (when we had one) couldn't understand why would do that.

She was real big about an invisible barrier between crowd and band. I never understood that. I am all about entertaining people and nowadays people want to be part of the show.

• Members

we do that too even though when we 1st started that was a no-no. Our female vocalist (when we had one) couldn't understand why would do that.

She was real big about an invisible barrier between crowd and band. I never understood that. I am all about entertaining people and nowadays people want to be part of the show.

call me old fashioned ,,,, the last thing I want is non musican drunks on stage. Hell the musican drunks are bad enough lol :thu:

• Members

call me old fashioned ,,,, the last thing I want is non musican drunks on stage. Hell the musican drunks are bad enough lol
:thu:

Ok to each his own, that is fine. We have loosened up alot with that after we got rid of her. We still keep a good eye on the people up with us though. Don't want anyone smackin their drunken skull off of a headstock or beer in the monitor!

But what about actually connecting with the crowd, or stepping off stage with a mic and singing with them? This woman we had refused to even do that. Hell some of the time she was pulling a morrison and singing with her back to the people.

I do like the fact that all the people who come together to form our crowd are getting to be friends with each other. I remember Grant pointing out that some people met at his band's gigs, fell in love and got married! Cool.

I am seeing a really awesome thing happening lately at our hometown gigs especially. All these people who didn't know each other before, becoming friends and who knows what else because they come out to see us. :thu:

not only that More and more are getting to feel like they are PART of the party! It is a good feeling to have when you feel like we are all having fun together. I think people dig that kind of thing.

• Members

I am seeing a really awesome thing happening lately at our hometown gigs especially. All these people who didn't know each other before, becoming friends and who knows what else because they come out to see us.

not only that More and more are getting to feel like they are PART of the party! It is a good feeling to have when you feel like we are all having fun together. I think people dig that kind of thing.

I'm starting to see that too at our shows.

Slowly but surely...:thu:

• Members

Actually, our lead singer does the same thing. He even gets the bartenders to sing(actually scream) into the mic on some chorus parts. It really gets the crowd involved and creates a party atmosphere. A few people refuse to sing, but the vast majority love it and wait for the mic to come to their table. At first I was a little annoyed because when my background parts would come up like in "the boys are back in town" I'd hear this horrible vocal which shocked me at first until I realized that the singer was offstage and out amongst them.....hahahaha. I'm used to it now and don't take myself so seriously anymore, especially playing "covers".

• Members

My bass player and I try to involve the crowd a lot more, and to become friendly with them. Give them a shout-out over the mic, buy em a shot occasionally. Some people in my band aren't as nice. They give shout-outs when people travel to a show, but they never hang out or talk to them in between sets.

As for girls onstage? It's distracting when they start talking to you while you're playing, but it looks very good for the show. I won't complain when it gets me laid either.

• Members

As for girls onstage? It's distracting when they start talking to you while you're playing, but it looks very good for the show. I won't complain when it gets me laid either.

hahah! I had a distraction a few months ago. Some girl on stage stood in back of me and blocked my amp so my drum stage volume got nice an muffled. (I play Vdrums) Finally I got her to move. When she moved to my right she started playing the drums with her hands (whay out of time) smiling really big and drunk and stuff. So while I was still trying to play I tried to hand her a drum stick to bang along on one of the precussion pads I had set BUT...

I poked her in the eye. :lol: :lol: :facepalm:

Hard.

• Members

hahah! I had a distraction a few months ago. Some girl on stage stood in back of me and blocked my amp so my drum stage volume got nice an muffled. (I play Vdrums) Finally I got her to move. When she moved to my right she started playing the drums with her hands (whay out of time) smiling really big and drunk and stuff. So while I was still trying to play I tried to hand her a drum stick to bang along on one of the precussion pads I had set BUT...

I poked her in the eye.
:lol:
:lol:
:facepalm:

Hard.

Whoops.

No sexytime for you!!

:cry:

• Members

I'm starting to see that too at our shows.

Slowly but surely...

I think that goes hand in hand with the Facebook phenomenon.

People "like" the band page, and get their little gig reminders.

People show up, mingle and ask each other "are you on FB?"

It becomes a little community.

• Members

I think that goes hand in hand with the Facebook phenomenon.

People "like" the band page, and get their little gig reminders.

People show up, mingle and ask each other "are you on FB?"

It becomes a little community.

We had that happen once; I think a picture is on our website from that gig.

Probably 45 people in all showed up from Facebook chats alone, all alumni of a local high school.

Actually now that I think about it, we played a place that is owned by a friend of our singer, and through his word of mouth and Facebook that place wound up overfilled, with people out on the sidewalk. :lol:

Facebook is something else but it's up and down too. It's fallen off for us a bit lately.

• Members

The guy I play for uses facebook quite a bit. he has alot of fans that are winter only people and it keeps them in touch with whats going happening on the island. His new place opens up the first week in sept. His facebook page is hoppin. I think the key to facebook is less is more. You have to put up just enough stuff to keep people wanting more. You need to be active enough on there to keep people interested , but not so active that it seems like you have no life.

• Members

It's the "look at me" generation, as somebody noted in another thread. As if you couldn't tell from my avatar, getting chicks up on stage with us is pretty much what my band is all about.

I've never figured your avatar out. It looks like the one girl is holding a sword or something.

• Members

I've never figured your avatar out. It looks like the one girl is holding a sword or something.

It's a blow up guitar. I'd be in the picture in the far right if it wasn't for all the girls up there. It was funny because I was going through the pictures after the gig and there are all these pictures of that girl with her giant boobs hanging out and giant bleached blonde hair playing the blow up guitar, and I never saw her ONCE during the gig. Gigs like that, I have no idea what's going on on the other side of the stage. It just becomes this madness where all we can do is listen to each other for cues.

I think my guitarist enjoyed the view, though....

• Members

We don't encourage crowd participation! And we certainly don't allow anyone on stage, wear silly hats or try to engage in any sort of shennigans that takes away from our
high caliber rock performance
:mad:

hahahah! awesome video again Grant!

The person who stands up and says, 'This is stupid,' either is asked to behave or, worse, is greeted with a cheerful 'Yes, we know! Isn't it terrific?' -- Frank Zappa

God I LOVE nonsense!

Archived