Which is better?

Dancebass

• Members

I just realized that I've never really kept track of which shows are more successful for us, the one's that we pursue and initiate, or the ones that we get offered out of the blue?

I do a lot of booking and of course it's a pain in the ass, so when an offer comes in, that's always welcome. From that aspect getting a free one is the better show, but I wonder which ones actually turn out to be the better night?

Have you guys noticed a difference?

• Members

Can't really comment... we have regular rooms in rotation and new bars/clubs call us all the time. Over the years there have been a small numer of rooms A-List rooms that we went after, got and decided a few shows later... it was nice to say we played there, and great on the resume... but not worth the future effort of rebooking.

For us it's Groundhog Day... every day. Probably much differen't for you since every gig is a brand new day.

• Members

I think a lot of it comes down to how you look at shows.. and how regularly you are playing out. I tend to think of it this way- a lot of bands that are self booking shows typically are doing it in town and playing to the general crowd they are use to getting (same people, same venues)- when we get offered shows its typically something outside of the normal show routines you play when your at home so typically you are able to catch a different set of people or different audience.

Sometimes I think its better to play for lets say 15 people who have never heard you... then those who hear/see you all the time.

just my 2 cents.

• Members

I just realized that I've never really kept track of which shows are more successful for us, the one's that we pursue and initiate, or the ones that we get offered out of the blue?

I do a lot of booking and of course it's a pain in the ass, so when an offer comes in, that's always welcome. From that aspect getting a free one is the better show, but I wonder which ones actually turn out to be the better night?

Have you guys noticed a difference?

The simple answer for us (at least up to this point) is that they're different. The club/bar gigs that we play were ones where we had to initially pursue the opportunity. Conversly, the ones where we're booked out of the blue are private events or charity type gigs. I tend to prefer the bar gigs we play - I like big drunk crowds. But the private functions are fun in a different way. More laid back, etc... So... :idk:

Archived