Most Epic Song Fails? Post' 'Em Here!

Vito Corleone

• Members
I just had a flood of failures hit my brain....

Womanizer-Brittany Spears... played it as a joke... no one laughed

A Little Respect-Erasure... hope people would remember and sing along... 2 people did

Keep On Loving You- We had an idea one year to tag cheezy power ballards on the end of each medley. We started with this song.. and we stopped with this song. Nothing like amping the energy in the room to '10' and then breaking out REO.... pssssssssssssssss you could hear the air leaving the room.

Let's Get Crazy-Prince. I thought we nailed this one... and Purple Rain was a big one in our early days. This song just never caught on. People didn't dance to it... some mouthed the words. Maybe we weren't very 'Prince' like.
;)

'Epic'- We played Epic for a long time. We had it in a medley in between Enter Sandman and "You Give Love A Bad Name". I love FNM so I was blinded. Still our singer was complaining the the energy dropped when we came to this tune. It took me a videotape with the crowd reaction to agree. We pulled it.

"Hot For Teacher"- This was probably our most epic fail because it was a personal choice for all of us. We were tired of playing cheeseball dance tunes, hip hop and throwaway pop tunes, so we decided to add one measily guilty pleasure tune to the setlist. I will say this certainly challenged our endurance levels and we did a respectable job pulling it off. We rehearsed it for about two weeks. Backburnered it and then whipped it out at a show. The reaction was like a sewer pipe broke. People were bemused and confused. One girl... a teacher and 25 yrs old said... "What are you playing... a song about a teacher, I don't get it".
:facepalm:

Two shows.... just two shows and it was tugged.
:rolleyes:

I can't ever see HOT FOR TEACHER being anything but a "lets go out and have a smoke" song. It just has absolutely no groove, just a bunch of drums, guitar, bass, and words slopped together with no direction, IMO. LETS GO CRAZY and DOVES CRY are both killer songs to do in my area. Tons of Prince fans from 18 to 50+ around here.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't ever see HOT FOR TEACHER being anything but a "lets go out and have a smoke" song. It just has absolutely no groove, just a bunch of drums, guitar, bass, and words slopped together with no direction, IMO. LETS GO CRAZY and DOVES CRY are both killer songs to do in my area. Tons of Prince fans from 18 to 50+ around here.

Yeah... I think we all expected it to bomb.... but we were hoping for at least one drunk burnout to scream "{censored} yeah... VH"

As for Prince... well you live in the Prince's city. If I were in Minn I'd probably be breaking out Morris Day and the Time at every show. :D;)

• Members

The one band here that got away with playing VH heavily in their set and keeping their audience and top tier status, never played Hot For Teacher.

I just can't see that song working live for any band really, unless you've got a "sit down" captive audience - it's too dense and doesn't breathe at all.

• Members

As for Prince... well you live in the Prince's city. If I were in Minn I'd probably be breaking out Morris Day and the Time at every show.
:D;)

Jungle Love has been tossed around with us but we never learned it... at least not yet. My fear is... would anyone remember it? Would anyone care? Personally I feel it would BOMB but who knows? It is a cool r&b tune IMO. :thu:

• Members

Jungle Love has been tossed around with us but we never learned it... at least not yet. My fear is... would anyone remember it? Would anyone care? Personally I feel it would BOMB but who knows? It is a cool r&b tune IMO.
:thu:

It was in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. So younger ppl MIGHT know it.

• Members

true but Kevin Smith movies aren't as well known in my area as I would like to think.
:thu:

ahh hell I'm going to bring it up next practice. Won't know until we try.

Yeah, it's one of those "will they know it" songs. If they do, I think it would be huge. Great beat; good sing-a-long bit; just generally a fun tune. But it very well could be that no one under 40-45 will recognize it.

• Members

We used to do "Jungle Love", but probably haven't played it in at least five years.

Can't recall it ever being a floor-packer.

if we would decide to to it, we would most likely do the 1st verse & chorus (maybe 2) in a medley. I don't think it would stand on its own.

• Members

We do a 'Lonely is the Night/Stroke/Everybody wants you' medley. Seems to always go over good.

Not to derail but, as far the the opposite of 'epic song fails' I STILL can't get over how EVERY{censored}INGONE dances to Man in the Box....it boggles my mind everytime.

Back on track, as far as EPIC SONG FAILS GO...ya never know. People will always respond differently and I've found the more YOU sell it the more they buy it and will join in on the fun.

• Members

Not to derail but, as far the the opposite of 'epic song fails' I STILL can't get over how EVERY{censored}INGONE dances to Man in the Box....it boggles my mind everytime.

Because it's a great {censored}ing song, period.

Been trying to get my band to do that one, but can't convince them it would work. It's a BIT out of the box for us, but that's half the fun for me.

• Members

I'm really looking hard at the early 90's for songs to add, and this is a great one!

Hmmmm... What goofy rap could I shoehorn into the middle of that one... :idea: Got it! Hypnotize by Notorious BIG sped up a little.

• Members

Hey man, I'll play a bunch of stuff that is "uncool" or whatever, but damn, you gotta admit: Linkin Park blows cack.

Even chicks don't dig them anymore.
:facepalm:

I agree. I don't know what the hell got into us with that song. it was so out of place... even for us (and we try to have nothing seem out of place)

The song didn't last long. It was back when it was 1st released and we played it maybe 4 gigs. Our crowd at the time, which was on an average 10 years older than they are now really HATED it.

• Members

Keep On Loving You- We had an idea one year to tag cheezy power ballards on the end of each medley. We started with this song.. and we stopped with this song. Nothing like amping the energy in the room to '10' and then breaking out REO.... pssssssssssssssss you could hear the air leaving the room.

How do you think this song would go over w/o the medley approach?

Do you think this happened because you had them pumped up?

I ask because our second singer has made it clear he isn't happy with the songs he has to sing (to give the lead singer a break) and he wants to pick a couple songs he is happy singing. So just last night I am over at his house, shootin this sh*t and we get on this topic.

So I tell him, well dude I understand. Pick a couple songs you want to play. This song comes up. He really likes it.

My opinion is, it will work in some bars we play and not in others.

• Members

way back in like 2003-04 we used to do Still Got The Blues by Gary Moore. Our guitar player at the time loved teh song and spent a lot of time getting the solo down and everything.

He put a lot of effort into it. There was almost no return. :cry: No one in our crowd knew the song.

In case you were curious here's a link to us doing it live:

Archived