I bought another amp.

maxnew40

• Members

I bought yet another amp the other day on Ebay. I have a decent small amp collection but can't seem to stop exploring all the possablities. This time I bought a Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 head. It should work pretty good for my cover band coupled with my Line 6 M13 for effects.

I have several all tube amps but thought I would give this one a spin. I saw a cover band in Vegas using one of these and I thought the guitar sounded great.

If I posted this in the amp forum they would just make fun of me,that forum is all about the Metal.

Max

• Members

I bought yet another amp the other day on Ebay. I have a decent small amp collection but can't seem to stop exploring all the possablities. This time I bought a Line 6 Spider Valve MK1 head. It should work pretty good for my cover band coupled with my Line 6 M13 for effects.

I have several all tube amps but thought I would give this one a spin. I saw a cover band in Vegas using one of these and I thought the guitar sounded great.

If I posted this in the amp forum they would just make fun of me,that forum is all about the Metal.

Max

Sounds cool to me.

I'm jonesing for a Marshall 40 watt Haze to run stereo or A/B with my HRD.

• Members

I keep thinking it's time to replace the Blues Deluxe I've been using since 95. I mean channel 1 is shot, it looks like ass, but I just can't pull the trigger.

Let me know how that Line 6 is. For the cover stuff we do, they seem as though they might be a good choice for me.

• Members

I have a bunch of amps that I use for gigs and they seem to rotate in and out.

Two combos a Fender SuperSonic and Seymour Duncan Convertable.

Traynor YBA-1 Head.

A couple of MP-1 preamps.

A couple of Digitech GSPs a 2101 and a 2120.

Line 6 HD147 (from my hard rock original days).

A Peavey classic 60 power amp.

All of these amps have been used at gigs this year. I don't own any real expensive stuff, but it is all fun stuff to play through.

Max

• Members

I'm jonesing for a Marshall 40 watt Haze to run stereo or A/B with my HRD.

i've got a 15 watt haze head and i love it, let me tell you that's the loudest 15 watts i've ever heard. i have a night train too, it's definitely not for sale - but if i could only have one i'd pick the marshall for overall versatility. if you like vox chimeyness, though, the night train will make you smile pushing a couple 2x12's or 4x12's...i've run the haze and the night train a/b - that's fun.

• Members

I keep thinking it's time to replace the Blues Deluxe I've been using since 95. I mean channel 1 is shot, it looks like ass, but I just can't pull the trigger.

Let me know how that Line 6 is. For the cover stuff we do, they seem as though they might be a good choice for me.

Is that when they were still made in Brea? I'd hang on to it and fix it. I had a Blues Deville from '93 and it sounded awesome, it was just too frickin' loud and heavy as all get out.

I'm not really one to talk though, I recently decided to go the modeling route. I'm using a Boss GT-8 and Tech 21 power engine to amplify it. With some tweaking, I can get just about any sound out of it and the entire rig weighs about 30 or so pounds :thu:

• Members

I've been running stereo the last few years and the main two amps have been my Vox AD60VTX(either my head or my combo) and my Mesa Nomad 45 head. For the last 1 1/2 years I've been using my Blackstar HT-5 head with the Vox for very small gigs. But the honeymoon is definitely over for the Blackstar.

• Members

I actually like this. Don't change what's not broken... charming.

I would not be happy with a line6.

I have a different approach playing in a top40 band. I don't want to replicate every single sound of every song spot on... I have my main sound and the most important effects... thats it.

• Members

I've been curious about the Line 6 stuff the last year or so. The other guitarist in the band I play with picked up a POD XT pedal board to run direct, but didn't like the sound. He is one of those "half to have my Marshall stack cranked to get my sound" kind of guys though. The Line 6 stuff also intrigues me because I think they'd do a good job recording.

I have put together a pretty decent amp collection in recent years (Marshall JCM 800 2205, Vox AC15, Blackstar HT-5), but still use the first good amp I got.... a Mesa Boogie MKIIB 1x12 combo I purchased in the late 90s from the guy I took lessons from at the time.

I do like the Blackstar, but it's the only amp I have I wish I didn't buy. It's good for practicing at home, but I usually play an acoustic at home.

• Members

I have a POD that I can hook up to a Powered EON speaker for emergencies but I don't think it is the best sounding rig.

On the other hand I used a Line 6 HD 147 head for a couple of years in a Hard Rock original band and it worked well for me and sound guys seemd to love the tones that I came up with.

I have heard this amp being used by a guitarist in a good cover band in Vegas and he sound great. I wpuld have no problems if I sound as good as he did with the same amp.

Max

• Members

Max

Most of my guitarists over the years were practically deaf and couldn't hear the nuances of their sound anyway. Because of that I laugh every time I read of a guitarist searching for tone, especially the metal guys. I'd start with finding a good surgeon.

• Members

Most of my guitarists over the years were practically deaf and couldn't hear the nuances of their sound anyway. Because of that I laugh every time I read of a guitarist searching for tone. I'd start with finding a good surgeon.

What I like about the amp is that can do a real good fender clean and fender slight break up, plus it can cover those early marshall OD tones. It is tough to get that marshall type sound with a clean Fender amp even with those so called marshall in a box pedals.

Max

• Members

Hey man - why is that? I've seen nothing but praise for Blackstar stuff on the net. I've always thought people must be in the honeymoon phase still. Would be good to hear what you specifically don't like about it.

Well, for one, the clean channel is very dull. I use an EQ pedal in front of the amp to liven up the clean tones. And the mid-gain crunch is just too nasally for my tastes. Plus I am getting one of these heads.

[YOUTUBE]JM3IxaVAOFQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

What I like about the amp is that can do a real good fender clean and fender slight break up, plus it can cover those early marshall OD tones. It is tough to get that marshall type sound with a clean Fender amp even with those so called marshall in a box pedals.

Max

I don't play much guitar any more but when I do I use a Fender Stage 100 head which is all clean and sparkly pretty. I let the stompboxes do the dirty work.

• Members

Guys did you miss the part where I said I have several good sounding all tube amps. Fender SuperSonic, Peavey CLassic 50, Traynor YBA-1, Seymour Duncan Convertable. They all sound good and are fun to play.

I got the SpiderValve amp on Saturday. I must say it by far the best sounding Line6 amp I have played through. It didn't tkae long for me to get some nice basic sounds to cover the stuff that we play. This amp with the Line 6 M13 in the loop sounds real good to me and is super flexable.

Max

• Members

I think I'm going to muy an amp today myself. There's someone selling a used JC-120 that I'm thinking about picking up for home as well as for a backup amp live. I've always really liked those amps.

I would like to own a JC-120 myself. Those things were used on so many records.

Max

• Members

I think I'm going to muy an amp today myself. There's someone selling a used JC-120 that I'm thinking about picking up for home as well as for a backup amp live. I've always really liked those amps.

The band leader for thhe first band I ever played that played anywhere in had one of those. It was my friend on drums, his dad on bass, his dad's friend on vocals and guitar, and me on guitar. They have a very good rep, but I have no desire to own one. At 2x12 that thing could be heavy, too.

If I was looking for a backup amp I think something like a Line 6 would be the way to go. I saw a reggae band a few weeks ago and a guy was using one and it sounded good. I saw a classic rock band last week and the guitar player was using one and it sounded good, too. They were different models, but both sounded good at relatively low volumes. The reggae band was at a very low volume... nothing mic'd and one of those Bose type speaker poles amplifying vocals and an acoustic guitar.

EDIT: I think the Line 6 stuff will really have a future in smaller venues where you don't need a lot of stage volume. I have a feeling I will end up with one and basically set it up like clean, slight dirty, a little more dirt, and then lead sound while using the onboard effects (chorus, reverb, delay, etc) with each sound. I don't have experience first hand, but it seems like you can easily run them direct to the PA and get a good sound.

I was in another band where the other guitarist had one of those Line 6 POD XTs and I thought it sounded really good. He had too many patches though... he would click a new one for each song. I think you have to do it like I mentioned above... keep it simple. He didn't like it, but he likes to have his Marshall cranked to 10 to get his "sound".

• Members

Max, how do you like the M13? I've been thinking about scoring one of those.

The M13 is great in my opinion. It can be run with the 4 cable method or just in the effects loop. I don't use a whole lot of effects but I can find anything I need in the M13. With the SpiderValve amp I am using it in the effects loop and am not using any overdrive or distortion.

I have also used the M13 with my Fender SuperSonic, Traynor YBA-1 and Seymour Duncan Convertable and it worked well with all of those amps.

Max

Archived