Venue changed hands... unsure future

mstreck

• Members

Our favorite venue has been sold as of today. This venue has been our "home base" for over a year and it is where/how we were able to build a fan base in the area. We've been their best draw for months and have our choice of dates. We currently have three shows scheduled and all on great bar nights - a Halloween Eve costume party, Thanksgiving Eve, and New Years Eve (recently penciled in).

The downstairs restaurant is going to be turned into a rib house. No word on the street if they will continue to have bands - however, I'd like to at least get them to allow us to play those three shows - there's no way we can book those nights somewhere else at this late date.

I'm a crappy pitch man - any suggestions?

• Members

Call the new owners:

"Hey, this is Mike from Petting Hendrix. I just wanted to be proactive. We've been playing there regularly for the past year and a half. We have three more gigs scheduled this year. I just wanted to confirm that we were still of for those dates."

There's no pitch IMO. If they don't want live music, you're f***ed. But generally, when a new owner takes over, they don't make wholesale changes overnight. Long term, it's kind of a wait and see thing, but my guess is that you'll be good for your shows for this year.

• Members

Call the new owners:

"Hey, this is Mike from Petting Hendrix. I just wanted to be proactive. We've been playing there regularly for the past year and a half. We have three more gigs scheduled this year. I just wanted to confirm that we were still of for those dates."

:thu: Great idea :thu:

• Members

Good luck!

We just had a venue that had us booked up all year including Halloween and New Years Eve close due to losing thier liquer license. It looks like it has now been sold and will re-opening soon, but we don't know if they plan on having music or not.

Max

• Members

Now that I found out who he is, I realize that I met the new owner a few weeks ago without knowing it. He told me that he likes country and classic rock - and that ain't us. The good news is that it's not what the bar's usual crowd goes for, either. If the new owners change the format, I'm guessing the patrons will migrate to the newly opened "rock bar" across town. They have a big stage and a quality house PA, so it's more band-friendly anyhow. Our first show there is Oct 8th, so the change may even help us bring more people in the door.

• Members

The bar owners were too nice to be running a bar - and they were losing their shirts. They were always giving drinks away. On busy nights, I've seen round after round not get rung up because the bartenders were so busy.

Actually, I'm surprised that this place didn't lose it's license. I've seen underage people drinking, service after closing, etc.

• Members

A club we used to gig at changed owners a few years ago and the new owner decided he only wanted country acts. Now live music is gone totally from this place and the crowd has gone away.

Yep. About the only thing dumber than cover bands who insist on only playing what they personally like is club owners who insist on only booking bands that they personally like. In both cases, if they have the financial luxury of doing vanity projects, then that's cool. But if they actually need to make MONEY...then they're blowing it.

Many of the most successful clubs owners I've known couldn't care less (or sometimes outright disliked) the music being played there. But they certainly liked the books at the end of the night..

• Members

A club we used to gig at changed owners a few years ago and the new owner decided he only wanted country acts. Now live music is gone totally from this place and the crowd has gone away.

Yup. That happened here too about a year ago, with a place that was known for classic rock/blues.

The new guy decided to go with country, like an idiot: last time I checked they weren't doing any live music there anymore.

Believe it or not country doesn't sell here, in the bars. At least not inside the city limits.

• Members

awhile back a really nice, decent sized country bar tried having rock & party bands... how well do you think THAT went over?

I'll just say we played to a crowd of 10 who didn't give us the time of day. I think around midnight the crowd may have swelled to about 17. :lol:

We played THE whole gig too.

I'll let you guess what the owner tried to do at 2am.

• Members

I got the skinny on the deal... for the moment, only the downstairs portion (restaurant) is changing hands. The upstairs portion is staying the same - and that's where the bands play so we're good for now.

From what I understand, they have also parted ways with the house sound guy (and his PA). They want to install a decent house PA in hopes of enticing more bands to play there, and bands can bring their own soundman or use one of the on-call guys.

That works for me - I'm one of the on-call guys. :D

• Members

....About the only thing dumber than cover bands who insist on only playing what they personally like is club owners who insist on only booking bands that they personally like. In both cases, if they have the financial luxury of doing vanity projects, then that's cool. But if they actually need to make MONEY...then they're blowing it....

I was thinking nearly the same thing. Clubs that are successful long term are run as a business, not as a vanity project. Some things work in a bar, and some things don't. In successful bars the things that don't work are dropped, changed, altered. It should be the same way with bands, if success is what you're after. If you don't run a band as a business then most times it won't be one.

• Members

Yup. That happened here too about a year ago, with a place that was known for classic rock/blues.

The new guy decided to go with country, like an idiot: last time I checked they weren't doing any live music there anymore.

Believe it or not country doesn't sell here, in the bars. At least not inside the city limits.

Country is a weird genre. It's huge in Northern Nevada. There's rednecks with giant pickups everywhere you go. Seems like there's a rodeo every other weekend. The country music radio station is one of the biggest in the market.

But live country music? Not so much. You'd THINK it'd be a no-brainer, but live country music bars are few and far between. Every decade-or-so you get a country resurgance and it becomes 'hip' for people who don't really like country---think "Urban Cowboy" or Garth Brooks---and some big country clubs pop up for awhile, but as a general thing...I think country is a niche market.

• Members

Country is a weird genre. It's huge in Northern Nevada. There's rednecks with giant pickups everywhere you go. Seems like there's a rodeo every other weekend. The country music radio station is one of the biggest in the market.

But live country music? Not so much. You'd THINK it'd be a no-brainer, but live country music bars are few and far between. Every decade-or-so you get a country resurgance and it becomes 'hip' for people who don't really like country---think "Urban Cowboy" or Garth Brooks---and some big country clubs pop up for awhile, but as a general thing...I think country is a niche market.

Its a pretty good sized nitch in texas. I could see how norther NV could be different ,, not alot up there ,, and alot of people come in for whatever reason that dont live there. odds are that if you are a pickup truck driving redneck as you call them... you are not going to be hanging out at dance clubs.

• Members

That's the thing. The country stations here are HUGE, very well listened to.

But country tends to be background music for the types of people that aren't into going to bars. Live country here just ain't happenin' on any real level, again, not in the city limits at least.

Archived