Quit my band - now what do I do with gear?

heyitbebt

• Members

I recently quite my band of the last three yrs.....I own a significant portion of PA...but it is half the speakers (1 top and 1 bottom), board, lights etc....

How do you suggest splitting it up...my thought was either sell it all (theirs / mine) and then split profit OR they buy me out (immediate or over time and rent it from me).

It is amicable, any suggestions or experiences would be grand.

• Members

I'd have `em buy you out. Over time, it may get tense. Cut `em a deal - you know you used and abused it.
:)

Not my portion, it was handled like a new born baby Jesus :p

What is typical depreciation on gear two years old? 60-80 of retail price?

• Members

well you can ask them to buy you out ,,, if you dont like the way that negotiations goes ,, load out the gear you own and figure out your next move. for sure its not worth what you paid for it. alot depends on the guys in the band. Are they the kind of people you are willing to extend credit to?

• Members

Yeah, they are all business owners so they are smart folk...we talked about buy out over a few months as gigs are lined up....just wanted to get some feedback as to what has been your experience. I have never quit a band....

Last gig tonight for me...just too much stuff going on with business to take the time. :cry:

• Members

Yeah, they are all business owners so they are smart folk...we talked about buy out over a few months as gigs are lined up....just wanted to get some feedback as to what has been your experience. I have never quit a band....

Last gig tonight for me...just too much stuff going on with business to take the time.
:cry:

If they are all business owners , they should just pony up and write you a check and get it done with.

• Members

There's always the trade option. You own some speakers, some lights, etc. etc. Maybe let them keep the lights and you'll take both stacks. That way you have a sellable asset (One stack would be a bitch to sell) and they have complete sets of what they have.

Of course, having them buy you out is the best option...

• Members

The last time I had to deal with this, we had some equipment that we all owned equally (i.e., bought with proceeds from gigs). I thought it over and decided on a price that I'd be happy with going either way--I'd buy them out for that price, or I'd be bought out for that price, and have no hard feelings either way. They made the choice, and I bought the stuff for a pretty good price and maintained the relationship. If you need to unload the stuff, then you're not in as good a position to bargain, of course.

Archived