Vh tribute audition: opinion on this singer

wades_keys

• Members

I don't think he's that bad, then again I'm not a huge Van Halen fan. As a tribute band I assume you'll be playing live gigs and not recording so I'd be equally concerned that he'd be able to pull off the swagger of David Lee Roth almost as much as I'd be worried about the quality of the vocals.

• Members

I think he does pretty good DLR really.. you need a better Michael Anthony on BG vox though.

Wolfie's hearing this a lot these days. :facepalm:

I hear yah: those are tough. A little more gain on the mic would help; I don't have the range to do those parts, so our drummer has to cover em.

• Members

He's real confident. Bigger guy, doesn't look anything like Roth.

And I'm cool with that: I think if we focus on the music we can do a better than credible job.

I mean - this was the first time we had ever played the tune and we recorded that; the problem in the past has been to find credible vocals at all.

Me, I've been practicing my "prowl"....:)

• Members

He sounds great man. By sounds alone, DO IT! Seems like he was a little less confident when he was singing the verses but that would come with being a bit more comfortable. I'd definitely do it.

Yeah, I hope he wants to do it.

Hell, I'd like to form a straight up cover band around this dude after hearing him do this more straight style. It ain't super polished but for the first run throught I'm digging it.

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/222/02_So_this_is_Love_vht_mastered.mp3

• Members

First, KUDOS for the song selection. I thought for sure I'd hear "Ain't Talkin Bout Love" or "You Really Got Me", but "Unchained".... {censored} YEAH!!!! Baddest ass guitar riff ever written! :thu::thu::thu: And then to follow it up with So This Is Love. Definitely got my attention

Secondly, dude does DLR really well. My only advice would be if he doesn't have the DLR look, I'd avoid marketing it as a Van Halen Tribute band. I mean if I saw there was going to be a VH tribute in town, I'd definitely go see it, but if they came out and there was some big ol ugly dude as DLR, my first impression would be negative.

BUT, it sounds like you could do a Late 70's early 80's cock rock tribute band with lots of VH but throw is other stuff from that era and it would sound really good

• Members

My only advice would be if he doesn't have the DLR look, I'd avoid marketing it as a Van Halen Tribute band. I mean if I saw there was going to be a VH tribute in town, I'd definitely go see it, but if they came out and there was some big ol ugly dude as DLR, my first impression would be negative.

BUT, it sounds like you could do a Late 70's early 80's cock rock tribute band with lots of VH but throw is other stuff from that era and it would sound really good

THIS... and who knows? Going the route of and "Era Tribute" band may be more successful!

• Members

The guy cab definitely do DLR.

One critique, if you want to call it that:

By the second chorus in Unchained, it seems he had gone to another vocal style...less obviously trying to channel Dave and more his own natural 'voice' I'd guess.

Uses that voice more in So This Is Love, too.

So...the challenge is if he doesn't look at all like DLR, and doesn't sound exactly like him...how do you differentiate the band from any other act covering VH?

Something to think on at least.

Or not.

• Members

So...the challenge is if he doesn't look at all like DLR, and doesn't sound exactly like him...how do you differentiate the band from any other act covering VH?

Something to think on at least.

Or not.

I'm hoping that the frankenstein strat, a guitarist that resembles Eddie and can play his style better than most, a killer drummer that plays Alex's style naturally, and a solid bassist that gets the aggressive tone that MA had on the early albums will make the difference.

• Members

That guy does a pretty good DLR. The only caveat I see is this: at several points, he seems unwilling/uncomfortable going for the high notes in those melody lines. If Van Halen material is right at or slightly beyond the upper limit of his comfortable singing range, will he be able to crank out a full set or two of the stuff without shredding his voice? If you're going for a tribute, he needs to be able to NAIL it, which includes singing the same notes as Roth sang on the records, consistently. It would be a shame, because sound-wise, he's got a lot of the tougher idiosyncracies of Roth's style down pretty well.

• Members

I think he sounds great. Very much like VH live bootlegs. If he doesn't have the look, I'm thinking you would be better off being an "era" cover band/tribute rather than a VH Tribute. People are going to want to see a guy with blond hair that can rock the stage and have a halfway decent body. If he's overweight and brunette and refuses to wear wigs, it's not going to work. It would be like me trying to be David Lee Roth. :lol: People aren't going to buy it.

These are all excellent points. I'm leaning towards thinking that a more general purpose tribute would come off better and be easier to book shows.

Yep.

I'm hoping that the frankenstein strat, a guitarist that resembles Eddie and can play his style better than most, a killer drummer that plays Alex's style naturally, and a solid bassist that gets the aggressive tone that MA had on the early albums will make the difference.

It will, but only if the singer looks and sounds at least a bit like DLR. If you only have 3/4ths of the puzzle, it's not going to work. It will if the singer is spot on and a bandmember or two looks different, but not the other way around.

For instance, I saw Aultimate Ozzy Tribute this past weekend. The singer copped Ozzy's vibe perfectly and even looked like a chubbier version of him. His singing wasn't exactly like Ozzy, but very close. Meanwhile, the bandmembers looked nothing like any of Ozzy's past or present bandmates, but most people didn't care. The lead guitarist switched guitars whenever the song needed it (black Gibson SG for "Sweet Leaf," bullseye white Gibson Les Paul for "No More Tears," Randy Rhoads style Jackson Flying V for "Crazy Train"), but he looked more like Uli Roth than Rhoads, Iommi or Wylde. It was fine. But if "Ozzy" had short spiky hair, was really tall and a dark complexion, it wouldn't have worked, even if he could sing just like him. Y'know?

• Members

You know the nicest name people call a band that has every single thing you just mentioned with a singer who doesn't look like DLR?

Van Hagar.

:poke:

Seriously, I agree with Tim_7string; for a band like VH, if the singer doesn't look like Dave...all the other 'looks like' stuff is far far less important...but if the guitarist does have a frankenstrat that looks identical, that's a good thing.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here on the 'era' tribute idea (rather than go full VH)...

Isn't that far more common?

I know around here it is: LOTS of bands doing that for years.

You'll really have to set yourselves apart a lot with how you sound and PERFORM live

• Members

You know the
nicest
name
people call a band that has every single thing you just mentioned with a singer who doesn't
look
like DLR?

Van Hagar.

I'm auditioning (as singer) for a new VH triibute band in my area next week. They said they want to cover both the DLR and SH era's. Hmmmm. I'm not sure I'll be that good at either one, but it sounded fun, so I thought I give it a shot.

PS. I don't look like either one, but I figure a couple good wigs should cover it.

• Members

You know the
nicest
name
people call a band that has every single thing you just mentioned with a singer who doesn't
look
like DLR?

Van Hagar.

Seriously, I agree with Tim_7string; for a band like VH, if the singer doesn't look like Dave...all the other 'looks like' stuff is far far less important...but if the guitarist does have a frankenstrat that looks identical, that's a good thing.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here on the 'era' tribute idea (rather than go full VH)...

Isn't that far more common?

I know around here it is: LOTS of bands doing that for years.

You'll really have to set yourselves apart a lot with how you sound and PERFORM live

Totally agree. As time goes on (wears on? lol), it seems harder and harder to keep people's attention. You have to work pretty hard just to keep people in a bar or club and you have to work even harder if you are *ahem* older (as in, no longer in your twenties).

I hate to be a stick in the mud, but I have to say that the lead singer of ANY tribute band is the most important member. If they can't approximate the looks, body type and especially the voice of the original lead singer, they might as well not even bother, in my opinion.

I dunno, I'm pretty picky when it comes to tributes. The more you look and sound like them, the better. And they better have the same lineup. None of this four- or five-piece crap for a Rush, Nirvana or Police tribute. They were trios for a reason and I want to see the same type of people in those roles. It also irritates me when I see or hear of a tribute band where a different guy is the lead singer (say, the guitarist is the singer in a Rush or Police band instead of the bassist).

• Members

I dunno, I'm pretty picky when it comes to tributes. The more you look and sound like them, the better. And they better have the same lineup. None of this four- or five-piece crap for a Rush, Nirvana or Police tribute. They were trios for a reason and I want to see the same type of people in those roles. It also irritates me when I see or hear of a tribute band where a different guy is the lead singer (say, the guitarist is the singer in a Rush or Police band instead of the bassist).

Now see that's funny...

I do a side-project that does only songs by The Clash...we don't try to look like them necessarily, and lead vocals are split between our bass player and 'frontman', as opposed to both guitarists (and the lead vox/gtr doesn't even sing all the Strummer songs) though, but we do consider ourselves a tribute of sorts...

If someone needs to have their own personal definition of tribute mean 'attempting to look exactly like and use the exact instrumentation', etc. of a band, so be it.

Personally, I think it depends on the situation, the band being 'tributized' and so on...

• Members

Personally, I think it depends on the situation, the band being 'tributized' and so on...

That's definately true. Unfortunately a Van Halen tribute and ESPECIALLY a Roth-era VH tribute would need a lead singer that looks and acts the part to be marketable. Otherwise, it's just a cover band that does a lot of VH songs. Roth's look and stage style was so iconic that most people going to see such a band would be looking for this onstage. I would think even most of the musicians here would want to see that in such a band. OTHO, I think a Hagar-era VH tribute would be able to get by with a singer that LOOKED like almost anyone, as long as he sounded like Sammy.

Not that a band who nailed the Roth sound without the look wouldn't be able to gig--I'm sure they could--but they would be faced with two major hurdles: 1) they'd never be able to book for as much money as a band with a Roth look alike and B) they'd always have to deal with patrons dissapointed in the 'show' aspect of the performance.

The tribute route can be somewhat tricky. Like you said, it depends upon the band. But, not surprisingly, tributes to bands with iconic looks will always be more successful than tributes to bands without a "look". I played briefly in a tribute-to-Bad Company band. Not only could the singer nail Paul Rodgers, but knowing the look and personality of the singer, I thought it best to do a tribute to a band not associated with a particular "look" or "look"-oriented frontman. (and, for what it was worth, the singer actually looked a LOT like Paul Rodgers. Nice touch, but truth is that few people actually know or care what Paul Rodgers looks like.) Good band, and we got some work, and Bad Co has as many killer, classic tunes as just about any other 70s rock bands. But that band was NEVER going to book for as much money as tributes to bands with members that people want SEE as much as they also want to HEAR.

That's a big part of what the "tribute" market is all about.

• Members

You make an excellent point. There are a lot of bands I love, but quite a few of them don't really have much of an instantly-recognizable image. A lot of the so-called "corporate rock" bands from the 70s are a great example (Boston, Electric Light Orchestra, STYX, Kansas, etc.). I love the music, but is the demand there for a tribute for one of these kinds of groups? I don't know.

I saw a band that combined three. They were primarily a Journey Tribute, but "opened" for themselves as REO Speedwagon, then STYX. What was funny was that the lead singer sounded just like Steve Perry, so it was like Steve Perry was singing for REO and STYX too haha.

I mean, I love The Cars a lot. But I'm not sure if there is enough demand out there to put a tribute together. Even if I could find a lefty lead guitarist and a tall, lanky Ric Ocasek lookalike (I'd probably either be "Benjamin Orr" or "Greg Hawkes" in the group), I doubt we'd get much in the way of work. Even The New Cars, which included the legendary Todd Rundgren, only lasted three years. Thankfully, the original members are now in the process of recording and may put out another album soon. If they do, this might incite some interest in a tribute to the original band because I'm pretty sure they won't tour (Ric doesn't like touring anymore).

Van Halen definitely has a very recognizable look, as does KISS. A Flock Of Seagulls just have the lead singer's hairdo and most people think of them as a joke (I don't, but most people do), so I would never do a tribute to them alone. Maybe as part of an 'era tribute' but not a stand-alone tribute group. Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath also had very specific looks, as well as The Who and The Beatles. There aren't too many bands that come to mind that have as strong of an image as these bands, especially in the past twenty years. I mean, can you name all the guys in Puddle of Mudd, Staind and Seether by name? Or see what they all look like in your mind, instantly?

Archived