Anyone play Muse's Supermassive Blackhole in bars?

JoshXR

• Members

My KJ has been wanting to me play some Muse but I can't make myself do it yet - I've looked at the scores for a dozen or so Muse songs and all of the guitar parts are (to me) extraordinarily simplistic and/or boring. I like things to be more technically challenging which to me = more fun. Not that driving a 3-chord AC/DC rhythm isn't simplistic but it's fun in that it's more energetic than Muse (again, IMO).

That said, Supermassive Black Hole is one I might consider - part of the rhythm is similar to Stand by REM and I love playing that song.

• Members

yeah, we did it when the movie was hot and we rocked it out a bit on the solo.....it was best with heavy fog and a good light show. Went well, we actually had a small sample of the movie that we played as intro...

Now that the movie is past its prime, the song goes like a turd. We have officially dropped it as of two months ago.

• Members

My KJ has been wanting to me play some Muse but I can't make myself do it yet - I've looked at the scores for a dozen or so Muse songs and all of the guitar parts are (to me) extraordinarily simplistic and/or boring.

The songs are a lot more suitable for more traditional band settings than your gig as the vocal is usually the main solo instrument. That being said Bellamy is a stellar guitarist. I watched that guy play both necks of a double neck guitar with a fretless top and a fretted bottom and he was killing it. The only song guiitar-ish enough for your set is Knights Of Cydonia but unless the rest of it is perfect it will flop.

• Members

Muse were incredible at ACL Fest last night...completely blew me away.

We've done "Supermassive Black Hole" a few times, and it's gotten a decent reaction exactly once, but I think that's because we butcher the crap out of it. It's very hard for me to sing a challenging falsetto with some spirit and play the bass part correctly.

"Starlight" is one of my favorite songs by them...the set list at ACL Fest was pretty much all the songs I would have picked, except I would have loved to have seen them do "Unnatural Selection" and maybe "Sunburn".

Even though I love the tune, I think learning "Supermassive Black Hole" is kind of a waste of time these days.

Brian V.

• Moderators

My KJ has been wanting to me play some Muse but I can't make myself do it yet - I've looked at the scores for a dozen or so Muse songs and all of the guitar parts are (to me) extraordinarily simplistic and/or boring. I like things to be more technically challenging which to me = more fun. Not that driving a 3-chord AC/DC rhythm isn't simplistic but it's fun in that it's more energetic than Muse (again, IMO).

That said, Supermassive Black Hole is one I might consider - part of the rhythm is similar to Stand by REM and I love playing that song.

:eek::eek::eek: That's funny.

• Members

"Time is running Out" went over well for us a month ago. College-age/mid twenties was the crowd so consider that.

I agree with Austin, Knights of Cydonia has to have everything firing on all cylinders if its to sound good. KoC without the Falsetto, Arpeggiator and Driving bass line is like a sea without salt.

Also, check the Origin of Symmetry album for good live tunes if you havent already. Maybe not as well known but definitely worth a try depending on your crowd

• Members

This song makes me want a Guitar with a built-in Fuzz Factory soooo bad.
:love:

Oh, me, too.

You should have seen them play this at ACL...he was running all over the place, putting the guitar behind his neck, all while not missing a single note on that signature riff at the beginning. It was crazy.

Brian V.

• Members

I'm certainly not arguing with you, their stuff may go over really well. However, I'm not particularly fond of their music and I think there's tons of other stuff we could learn that would be easier to work up and would go over better and I would have more fun playing. Additionally, I don't see them as being particularly popular, but that just could be my bias in that I change the station if they come on (which these days is rather rare though there was a while where that song that sounds like "Call Me" was on a lot)

Again that's just my opinion.

• Members

I sound like a broken record here, but you should have seen people dancing and singing along to the more upbeat Muse stuff at ACL Fest...they were doing it even when they had no room to do it.

It really surprised me, to be honest...and I'm a fan.

Brian V.

You shoulda made the trip to Wembley. Best concert, best crowd, best show ever.

• Members

I've seen other bands play Uprising and it always goes over really well.

That is actually a pretty good choice to cover, probably easier to pull off than SMBH. Plus it has the fist waving aspect, and sometimes ya just gotta get that fist pumping in the air. :D

Add me to the list of satisfied Muse concert goers; saw them in Chicago and was utterly blown away. Only one complaint: concert was too short. :cry:

• Members

I'll admit... I freakin love this band. Out of any current popular bands (not indie's) that I discovered in the last decade Muse is my favorite. I know alot of people that don't connect with them... but for me they are like mashing ELO, Queen, NIN and Radiohead into a bowl.

I haven't heard much of the new album (I've had my fill of Uprising) and we considered "Starlight' at one point. I don't think it would fly though. We played Phoenix "1901" a few times and it just doesn't fit the mood of our setlist. Too serious when your trying to 'light' up the room. That being said... I know that playing one or two songs will certainly earn you some cred, maybe earn some new fans that like the band and the fact that you are covering. But in terms of overall reaction, I wouldn't expect too much.

• Members

I'll admit... I freakin love this band. Out of any current popular bands (not indie's) that I discovered in the last decade Muse is my favorite. I know alot of people that don't connect with them... but for me they are like mashing ELO, Queen, NIN and Radiohead into a bowl.

I haven't heard much of the new album (I've had my fill of Uprising) and we considered "Starlight' at one point. I don't think it would fly though. We played Phoenix "1901" a few times and it just doesn't fit the mood of our setlist. Too serious when your trying to 'light' up the room. That being said... I know that playing one or two songs will certainly earn you some cred, maybe earn some new fans that like the band and the fact that you are covering. But in terms of overall reaction, I wouldn't expect too much.

I agree with everything you say 100%.

Very few bands in recent memory have jumped out at me like Muse.

• Members

I also saw them in Las Vegas this spring, best concert I've ever been too.

I should also say that my band is not a cover band, we're an original band playing covers for events, or a half and half band, if you will. We also have female vocals, so I don't know how that will mesh, but it's worth a shot!

Archived