Halloween gigs: what's your costume?

StratGuy22

• Members

I dont think much has changed ,, i remember my parents getting dressed up when i was a kid going to some major halloween parties ,,,, The thing that has changed for kids is that it used to be safe for kids to go out dressed up grubbin for candy without their parents. Today , you dont see that. thats really sad that our society is so screwed up that kids cant have the kind of fun we had nowdays and be safe.

I dunno. Depends where you live, I guess. There are kids all over the place in the small towns around here. I really don't think it's any less safe for kids as much as parents are just more paranoid. Don't know if you know this, but there's never been a single actual reported case of a razor blade in an apple or candy laced with LSD or Angel Dust even though those urban legends were around even when I was a kid.

But the parties are bigger then they used to be, businesses are more dressed up for Halloween, you see more yard decorations for Halloween than you see for Christmas it seems and bars are into Halloween big time. None of that was nearly as big 20-30-40 years ago.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
But the parties are bigger then they used to be, businesses are more dressed up for Halloween, you see more yard decorations for Halloween than you see for Christmas it seems and bars are into Halloween big time. None of that was nearly as big 20-30-40 years ago.

Yea that's what it's like in my area. In fact over the past few years Halloween parties have been rivaling New Years in scale.

I love em. :love:

• Members

I dunno. Depends where you live, I guess. There are kids all over the place in the small towns around here. I really don't think it's any less safe for kids as much as parents are just more paranoid. Don't know if you know this, but there's never been a single actual reported case of a razor blade in an apple or candy laced with LSD or Angel Dust even though those urban legends were around even when I was a kid.

Let me put it this way ,,, there was three shootings in battle creek michigan and that was just on sunday of last week. I have been to where you live ,, i would guess its pretty safe up that way and kids can be kids. In places like kalamazoo , battle creek , jackson and flint michigan ,, its really not safe on the streets in alot of places. Kids get picked up by pervs and they find the bodies. where you live its pretty isolated from the kind fo {censored} that goes down where I used to live. I honestly think its safer down here in south texas right on the border than it is in many parts of michigan. For sure they have their violence here ,, but it tends to happen to people who are in the drug trade or crazy ass family issues.

• Members

Halloween was not a holiday in the US until the 19th century, but the modern trick or treating going door to door for candy didn't come into play until the 1930's.

I dont think much has changed ,, i remember my parents getting dressed up when i was a kid going to some major halloween parties ,,,, .

The fact is that in the past 20 years, Halloween as a holiday has grown exponentially from where it was 25, 30, 40 or more years ago: since roughly 1990, the scale of just about every aspect associated with it (decorations, celebrations, advertising, etc.) grew until it peaked in about 2005. It is the second most popular/revenue generating holiday after Christmas.

• Members

Let me put it this way ,,, there was three shootings in battle creek michigan and that was just on sunday of last week. I have been to where you live ,, i would guess its pretty safe up that way and kids can be kids. In places like kalamazoo , battle creek , jackson and flint michigan ,, its really not safe on the streets in alot of places. Kids get picked up by pervs and they find the bodies. where you live its pretty isolated from the kind fo {censored} that goes down where I used to live. I honestly think its safer down here in south texas right on the border than it is in many parts of michigan. For sure they have their violence here ,, but it tends to happen to people who are in the drug trade or crazy ass family issues.

Well, of course some places are more dangerous than others and that's always been the case. But the truth is that violent crime rates in Michigan are the lowest now than since the mid 1960s.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm

Of course, there's more PEOPLE, so there's a higher NUMBER of crimes overall to report. But the rate is lower. (ie the odds of it happening to you or your kid is lower.) And, like you said, take out drug-trade and crazy-ass-family crimes and it's probably WAY low.

But the paranoia is way up too. Having kids trick-or-treat in the malls or 'safe areas' is probably a good idea (the biggest danger for kids on Halloween is getting hit by cars) but when I see parents even in this small town freaking out about it not being safe for Junior to be out on the street at dusk I DO have to roll my eyes a bit. It's as safe now as when we were kids. The parents are just way overboard with all the safety nonsense.

• Members

I absolutely HATE getting dressed up for halloween. The few times I've gotten talked into it - I end up spending the evening futzing with a costume that's some combination of hot, itchy, ill fitting and/or constricting. If it's a costume that requires makeup - it's even worse - because it now has an element of greasy to it. I haven't spent an evening in costume that didn't leave me miserably uncomfortable.

When I
must
dress up - about as far as I'll go is to add a hat and
maybe
some goofy glasses. The other approach is to simply were a tux ...

I'd almost rather pass on a gig than have to get dressed up.

Dracula/Vampire is easy, cape, black pants white frilly shirt, medal with red ribbon slick back hair and I'm done.

Fangs come out when I hit the stage, but I get to bite alot of girls necks on breaks.

• Members

I'll celebrate groundhog day with equal vigor if chicks will dress like whores for groundhog day.

Not so sure about Groundhog Day, but since St. Patrick's Day is already pretty much National Alcohol Celebration Day there's gotta be some way to do more with it than just having people get drunk and wear Lepruchan hats. Costume parties should become part of the event, IMO.

• Members

Well, of course some places are more dangerous than others and that's always been the case. But the truth is that violent crime rates in Michigan are the lowest now than since the mid 1960s.

Of course, there's more PEOPLE, so there's a higher NUMBER of crimes overall to report. But the rate is lower. (ie the odds of it happening to you or your kid is lower.) And, like you said, take out drug-trade and crazy-ass-family crimes and it's probably WAY low.

But the paranoia is way up too. Having kids trick-or-treat in the malls or 'safe areas' is probably a good idea (the biggest danger for kids on Halloween is getting hit by cars) but when I see parents even in
this
small town freaking out about it not being safe for Junior to be out on the street at dusk I DO have to roll my eyes a bit. It's as safe now as when we were kids. The parents are just way overboard with all the safety nonsense.

With all due respect ,, you dont know {censored} about what its really like to live in michigan, nor do you understand how stupid these thugs are. They will kill you over a cigarette. They just dont value human life.. not yours and not theirs or anyones. There are some very nice places in michigan ,, and there are some real {censored}holes of crime and violence often existing within a few blocks of each other. when the predators go out to go steal ,, they leave their neighborhoods and often times end up in those place you think are safe. i cant expect a guy from lake tahoe to understand a place like battle creek or benton harbor or jackson or flint or even the city of kalamazoo. People wind up dead there all the time. Some they never find. I wish I could have taken you on a flight to a place like detroit city airport.. and let you just go walking around outside the huge chain link fences .....It would not be long before you get your ass back into the airport grounds. There are places in kalamazoo that I would not go without being armed. There are places where if i dropped you off you might not make out without being robbed beaten. if anything things are getting more un predictable not less. Take those crime stats with a grain of salt. the place has always been a state where violent crime is no stranger. stats may look better due to growth ,, and the fact that you have all the building going on easy side of town so to speak. the bad parts just get worse.

• Members

With all due respect ,, you dont know {censored} about what its really like to live in michigan, nor do you understand how stupid these thugs are. They will kill you over a cigarette. They just dont value human life.. not yours and not theirs or anyones. There are some very nice places in michigan ,, and there are some real {censored}holes of crime and violence often existing within a few blocks of each other. when the predators go out to go steal ,, they leave their neighborhoods and often times end up in those place you think are safe. i cant expect a guy from lake tahoe to understand a place like battle creek or benton harbor or jackson or flint or even the city of kalamazoo. People wind up dead there all the time. Some they never find. I wish I could have taken you on a flight to a place like detroit city airport.. and let you just go walking around outside the huge chain link fences .....It would not be long before you get your ass back into the airport grounds. There are places in kalamazoo that I would not go without being armed. There are places where if i dropped you off you might not make out without being robbed beaten. if anything things are getting more un predictable not less. Take those crime stats with a grain of salt. the place has always been a state where violent crime is no stranger. stats may look better due to growth ,, and the fact that you have all the building going on easy side of town so to speak. the bad parts just get worse.

Tahoe isn't the only place I've lived or travelled or experienced in my life. Far from it. I've lived in a lot of big cities over the years. I live here now for a lot of reasons; fear of crime isn't one of them. The facts are the facts, and the fact is the crime rates in Michigan are lower NOW than they were 40 years ago. Like I said, yeah there are places and neighborhoods you shouldn't spend much time in. That's always been the case. But if you live in a relatively safe suburban neighborhood and believe that you can't let your kid trick or treat because there's just so much more crime than there was when you were a kid, you're probably being paranoid.

• Members

Tahoe isn't the only place I've lived or travelled or experienced in my life. Far from it. I've lived in a lot of big cities over the years. I live here now for a lot of reasons; fear of crime isn't one of them. The facts are the facts, and the fact is the crime rates in Michigan are lower NOW than they were 40 years ago. Like I said, yeah there are places and neighborhoods you shouldn't spend much time in. That's always been the case. But if you live in a relatively safe suburban neighborhood and believe that you can't let your kid trick or treat because there's just so much more crime than there was when you were a kid, you're probably being paranoid.

Yea we have shall issue concealed weapons now in michigan ,, that has helped lower our crime rate in recient years. Michigan has a pretty high crime rate and always has had one.

My kid is 32 years old and has traveled the whole world on her own and has done so since she was in her early 20s. she has always had a job that required her to travel international. I will be 59 this weekend ,,, my kid trick or treating is not an issue. I pretty much go where I want to go,,, but when i go to some places I carry a gun. {censored} dude ,, i have to go to mexico here in a couple weeks ,,,,, trust me i am not paranoid ,, but i do understand there are risks. These border towns have people real jumpy. Mind you i am not bass fishing on falcon lake ,, but i know guys who do. As for the kid thing ,,, guy how old is your child .. 3 or so? you need to put on a few more miles before you start advising parents on whats safe and whats not. Its a whole lot different when its your kid thats out there on the streets in this society .. trust me on this one.

• Members

With all due respect, you only know what you choose to see and portray about living in MI, and frankly, given your seemingly close-minded view on a number of topics on this site, that's not very surprising to me.

I've lived in Kalamazoo and Lansing, and before that, spent a good chunk of my college and high school years gigging around the southern and southeastern portions of MI as well.

MI is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, even in some of the 'lesser' places.

Either you're ultra-sensitive and perhaps over-reactive to what I and many others see as 'business as usual' in that kind of locale or you're under the assumption that most of America is still like it was in the 1950's.

Are their {censored}ty high-crime areas that none of us would want to be caught in across the state of MI? Of course.

But that's no different than many other states in the US, especially those that had a history of strong industrial infrastructure. Still, there are decent/better areas of all those MI cities & towns, along with the worse parts.

MI isn't half as 'bad' as you make it out to be, in my experience.

• Members

With all due respect, you only know what you
choose
to see and portray about living in MI, and frankly, given your seemingly close-minded view on a number of topics on this site, that's not very surprising to me.

I've lived in Kalamazoo and Lansing, and before that, spent a good chunk of my college and high school years gigging around the southern and southeastern portions of MI as well.

MI is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be, even in some of the 'lesser' places.

Either you're ultra-sensitive and perhaps over-reactive to what I and many others see as 'business as usual' in that kind of locale or you're under the assumption that most of America is still like it was in the 1950's.

Are their {censored}ty high-crime areas that none of us would want to be caught in across the state of MI? Of course.

But that's no different than many other states in the US, especially those that had a history of strong industrial infrastructure. Still, there are decent/better areas of all those MI cities & towns, along with the worse parts.

MI isn't half as 'bad' as you make it out to be, in my experience.

I l livedin portage the last 20 ,its not bad but getting worse,,, as for kzoo . I doubt that is is the same town that you left. I can only assume you went to western. around campus things are still cool... the student ghetto is quite a bit different and the north side ,, hmmm well its still the north side. Battle creek is crazy. I guess i am sensitive because I knew an old couple that got murderd in their home on sugarloaf lake... and have a friends whos brother who had a gun stuck in his face and the guy pulled the trigger right by where the old boogie records used to be. how long have you been gone from michigan?

• Members

Yea we have shall issue concealed weapons now in michigan ,, that has helped lower our crime rate in recient years. Michigan has a pretty high crime rate and always has had one.

Hard to see how the CCW laws had that much effect. If you look at the statistics here:

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/micrime.htm

you see that the crime rate in Michigan peaked in the 1980s and then started falling dramatically. The CCW laws went into effect in 2001 and while the crime rate has continued to fall since then, it is roughly the same rate of decline as the nation overall.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

But I like I've said before, if it makes you FEEL safer to carry a gun, then go for it.

As for the kid thing ,,, guy how old is your child .. 3 or so? you need to put on a few more miles before you start advising parents on whats safe and whats not. Its a whole lot different when its your kid thats out there on the streets in this society .. trust me on this one.

Every parent has to make their own decisions for what they want to do with their kid based on their own situations and world view. I'm not a paranoid person by nature. I lived for years in Sacramento, which has a slightly higher crime rate than Detroit, and while there are certainly neighborhoods in that city where I would not choose to live--let alone allow my kid to trick-or-treat---the neighborhoods I lived in I felt perfectly safe in. I'm sure cities in Michigan are not that much different.

My only point is that while we've seen an huge increase in parents being paranoid about the dangers present to their kids over the last 4 or 5 decades--and of course a big increase in the amount of media attention this danger gets--, the REAL truth about the danger present to them is vastly different.

• Members

Hard to see how the CCW laws had that much effect. If you look at the statistics here:

you see that the crime rate in Michigan peaked in the 1980s and then started falling dramatically. The CCW laws went into effect in 2001 and while the crime rate has continued to fall since then, it is roughly the same rate of decline as the nation overall.

But I like I've said before, if it makes you FEEL safer to carry a gun, then go for it.

Every parent has to make their own decisions for what they want to do with their kid based on their own situations and world view. I'm not a paranoid person by nature. I lived for years in Sacramento, which has a slightly higher crime rate than Detroit, and while there are certainly neighborhoods in that city where I would not choose to live--let alone allow my kid to trick-or-treat---the neighborhoods I lived in I felt perfectly safe in. I'm sure cities in Michigan are not that much different.

My only point is that while we've seen an huge increase in parents being paranoid about the dangers present to their kids over the last 4 or 5 decades--and of course a big increase in the amount of media attention this danger gets--, the REAL truth about the danger present to them is vastly different.

Whatever ,, my kid never owned a helmet to ride her bike ,,,she was a lake kid and was around the water from the time she first fell off the dock and had to get fished out. I was never an over protective parent. I am concerned about how society has changed. stats dont mean {censored} when your kid comes up missing. Like i say ,, you got a toddler and have yet to really deal with any of this {censored}. Get back to me when you have to go through your kid driving cars , going off to a strange city or country to school. but then ,,we will both be 70 by the time you get there in raising kids.

• Members
I am concerned about how society has changed. stats dont mean {censored} when your kid comes up missing.

But that's the point. Your kid isn't any more likely to come up missing now than they were 40 years ago. You might THINK that's true, but it isn't. Society hasn't changed NEARLY as much as your perception of it has. THAT'S what the stats are useful for pointing out.

40 years ago if a kid went missing, the news might not even have gotten beyond the immediate neighborhood. Now they issue Amber Alerts on giant signs on the freeway and 24-hour cable networks report every missing child like it's the Lindbergh kidnapping. So is it really any wonder that people are so much more paranoid? THAT'S the part of society that has changed the MOST. Not the crime rates!

Like i say ,, you got a toddler and have yet to really deal with any of this {censored}. Get back to me when you have to go through your kid driving cars , going off to a strange city or country to school. but then ,,we will both be 70 by the time you get there in raising kids.

Well, my goal is to be completely senile by the time she starts going through all that {censored} so I won't have to deal with being freaked out. As long as she changes my diaper as regularly then as I change hers now, all will be cool. :lol:

• Members
But that's the point. Your kid isn't any more likely to come up missing now than they were 40 years ago. You might THINK that's true, but it isn't. Society hasn't changed NEARLY as much as your perception of it has. THAT'S what the stats are useful for pointing out.

40 years ago if a kid went missing, the news might not even have gotten beyond the immediate neighborhood. Now they issue Amber Alerts on giant signs on the freeway and 24-hour cable networks report every missing child like it's the Lindbergh kidnapping. So is it really any wonder that people are so much more paranoid? THAT'S the part of society that has changed the MOST. Not the crime rates!

Well, my goal is to be completely senile by the time she starts going through all that {censored} so I won't have to deal with being freaked out. As long as she changes my diaper as regularly then as I change hers now, all will be cool.
:lol:

If society keeps moving in the direction its moving she will be able to take you to the doc like you take a pet to the vet and just have you put down. Before you say thats cool ,, her and mom might decide to to it about the time she gets in jr high school lol. :thu:

• Members

Well, our plans apart, so I guess I'll put this out there for someone else to use...

We were going to dress up as the Son's of Anarchy. For those of you not in the US, it is a show about a group of outlaw bikers.

But we were a little hesitant because a) we're not bikers and b) should real bikers not like it, we're not really all that tough.

So I threw in a little cross dressing, wit, and religous humor.... and came up with
5105516512_c71be1d5e0.jpg

Black dresses, big Catholic nun head gear, and a denim vest with this painted on the back of it.

Oh, and unshaven faces, cigars, and tatoos.

• Members
Well, our plans apart, so I guess I'll put this out there for someone else to use...

We were going to dress up as the Son's of Anarchy. For those of you not in the US, it is a show about a group of outlaw bikers.

But we were a little hesitant because a) we're not bikers and b) should real bikers not like it, we're not really all that tough.

So I threw in a little cross dressing, wit, and religous humor.... and came up with

5105516512_c71be1d5e0.jpg

Black dresses, big Catholic nun head gear, and a denim vest with this painted on the back of it.

Oh, and unshaven faces, cigars, and tatoos.

You should be cool.... the bottom rocker is what gets guys in trouble. Its a claim of territory. Your bottom rocker doesnt do that on your costume. MC clubs can be a little wierd. Most of the time they just wanna have a good time like everyone else. Hopfully having a good time isnt kicking {censored} out of the band lol. ride safe

Archived