It's REALLY Weird to have no Gig..

sventvkg

• Members

This year has been odd. I moved to LA and preparing to move the family out there but we decided to move to Nashville instead. I had been playing mostly around N. Europe for the past couple of years before that. Anyway, I went back to where my wife was living at the southern tip of NJ in June and did some weekend type solo work for the summer beach crowd. Lots of my own stuff, Americana, springsteen stuff etc..Kinda like what Bluestrat does..That scene dried up a few weeks ago and everything shuts down on the shore for the winter and there's no work. We had been planning on moving to Nashville but we're held up for some child relocation court stuff so I shot down here to S. FL to scout out some work in my old stomping grounds where I gigged full time for many many years..Still have some connections etc..Anyway, i'm down here now moving and shaking and it's just so weird to not have a gig..Feels odd..I kinda like to do stuff on my own terms these days so i'm planting seeds waiting for something to come up. I'm going to be on the road quite a bit and probably will shoot down here once a month anyway so these seeds need planting:) It's just odd to be back here hunting down work:) Life is so cyclical I guess.

• Members

Yep

Gigs dry up after summer in south and dry up in the north all summer.

The Fla economy is still tanked .... likely not good for gigs
:(

Here in the Northwest, summer is the peak gigging time for musicians. We're entering the slow time now. The crowds are better as everyone moves indoors and the days are shorter, but the gigs are much fewer.

• Members

Do you get paid in Nashville? Most of the guys I know who moved there came back after a year or two telling me you have to pretty much play for free, but I wouldn't know.

Not really but I'm not there for the gigs. I will be on the road a lot based out of there doing my thing but it's the songwriting community and the fact that so much talent is there.

• Members

Yep

Gigs dry up after summer in south and dry up in the north all summer.

The Fla economy is still tanked .... likely not good for gigs
:(

Yea Jersey shore is seasonal. This area of FL has literally thousands of gigs. Everywhere you go there are bands playing etc. No problem here just finding the right ones for me really but the real reason i'm here is I'm working on an album. Gigs will just be a bonus!! I'll find some stuff for sure.

• Members

Here in the Northwest, summer is the peak gigging time for musicians. We're entering the slow time now. The crowds are better as everyone moves indoors and the days are shorter, but the gigs are much fewer.

Spring and fall are the dead times down here. summer runs on the valley people ,, winter is winter texan season. we are starting to move into winter texan season. The RV parks are starting to fill up and we are starting to see the winter crowd trickle in.

• Members

That's wild Pat because Winter is always the social time in Alaska and I would think it would be similar to where you are. In summer everyone is out fishing, hiking, camping, boating etc and the bars are less busy and since it's daylight most of the time it's tough to gig. But in Winter people come out because I think really, they have to!!

• Members

That's wild Pat because Winter is always the social time in Alaska and I would think it would be similar to where you are. In summer everyone is out fishing, hiking, camping, boating etc and the bars are less busy and since it's daylight most of the time it's tough to gig. But in Winter people come out because I think really, they have to!!

In the summer around here, they fish/hike/boat/swim during the day, then hit the bars and patios at night. I'd imagine doing these things in Alaska is an all day event, simply because of the travel time involved.

• Members

Well, true, but here, there are tons of outdoor festivals and concerts in every town, weekly concert series locally in all the surrounding towns, patio gigs, dock gigs, summer event gigs (car shows, boat shows, motorcycle rallies, etc) and private parties, art walks, etc besides bar gigs. Of course, I'm in a tourist town, too.

Now, we're just doing bar gigs. :cry:

Archived