Genre of Break Music

JoeDirt

• Members

So, I would like to hear some thoughts on break music genre.

We are a 5 piece rock band (70's to current) with a chick singer. We play a lot of Heart, Journey, GNR, Bon Jovi, Pink, Pat Benetar, Joan Jett, Gaga, Morissette... The usual suspects for a chick singer with a high range.

We play some clubs that have a mix of 20 somethings and 30 somethings and I am debating on playing Hip Hop during the breaks instead of rock that we don't cover (nickelback, foo fighters, etc).

Thoughts on doing this? Is hip hop too big of a departure from what we bring to the table musically or might that be a good thing because it might keep some of that crowd around more possibly dancing on the breaks?

• Members

I don't know about your target audience but if I was really digging your set list and then you busted out the Hip Hop during break, I would proabably leave during your break. That is too much of a departure for me, but you milage may vary.

Max

• Members

This works for us... not suggesting this for anyone else. We have eight members of the band. 6 guys on stage, one manager, and one DJ. He spins music and introduces the band. As soon as the last note plays, he kicks in with club music and keeps people on the dance floor. Songs are current club music, with no overlap in material. People more frequently stick around during sets now than ever before.

• Members

I am in the same band with Mr Dirt. Here is my input on the matter.

There are a couple bars here where it would be a bad idea. Biker crowd, 35+ and really like the classic rock. Although I would be interested in seeing what would happen if you snuck a hop hop tune in at the end or the middle.

There are two other bars here where I think hip hop during breaks would be a good idea. Younger crowd. I am of the opinion that it should be done.

There is one bar in particular though. This one could be an issue. Definitely a younger crowd. BUT, there is a hip hop club down the block. Literally a 2 minute walk from where we play. What's the problem? I would hate to get the crowd just hungry enough for some hip hop during a break that they leave us for the actual hip hop club down the street. The other thing unique to this bar is, it has consistently been the top seller of alcohol in Idaho for a few years now. I would cry in real life if we lost this crowd to the hip hop bar down the street.

• Members

A couple of questions:

1. It seems like your choice of music would be for an older audience than 20-30 year olds. So, does the crowd of 20 & 30 year olds like the music your band plays, or do they just tolerate it cause you're playing in the bar that they go to?

2. What genre of music, or era of music, do other bands who play in this bar play?

3. What do other bands use for break music?

I would think that if your band is going over well with your audience doing the music that you're doing, switching to something totally different on breaks would be startling to your audience. But I would think that "some" modern music, even a LITTLE hip-hop, tastefully and selectivlly chosen, might be okay.

• Members

Feel your crowd out. Younger? More affluent? Lots of girls? Tendency to dance? DEFINITELY go with club music. ladies dance = dudes dance = beer sales = you get asked back to play again.

Crowds are never homogenous. Sure, they dig what you do, but they want to have some variety. The biggest redneck country bar around here is dedicated to their house country band, yet they play hip hop during every break. People dance for a while, then the band gets back up. It works.

...and you can't worry about that one guy who gets all worked up about it and leaves.

Check out Billboard's club chart...download the biggest hits that appeal to you (with your audience in mind) and add them to a set break playlist on your ipod. Repeat once per month, building a solid hit list.

Since our band is an '80s band, I went a step further to find mash-ups that combine club hits with iconic songs from the 80s, and mixed them in with current club hits. Win.

• Members

Just remember--never put any big hits in your break music. You don't want to shut off "Free Bird" during the guitar outro and then kick off with the band playing something worse (because what's better than "Free Bird"?).

Interesting point. Is this sound advice? I tend to pick big hits for break music.

• Members
Just remember--never put any big hits in your break music. You don't want to shut off "Free Bird" during the guitar outro and then kick off with the band playing something worse (because what's better than "Free Bird"?).

Just my opinion but anything I can do which causes someone to have fun at my show is on the table including playing great break music. I play in a market where bar hopping is much more common than staying in one place so whatever I can do to keep people at my venue I'll do.

• Members

Personally I think the genre of the break music is not as important as the volume level. People need sonic breaks now and then and if the break music is just as loud/powerful as the band than it tends to wear people out. Not only that, you don't want to upstage yourself by spinning music your band is not capable of and having the crowd groan when you turn it off :p

Seriously tho, the breaks are a good time to bring things down a notch but not turn them off entirely. Sort of like leaving it at idle until the band ramps up again.

• Members

Personally I think the genre of the break music is not as important as the volume level. People need sonic breaks now and then and if the break music is just as loud/powerful as the band than it tends to wear people out. Not only that, you don't want to upstage yourself by spinning music your band is not capable of and having the crowd groan when you turn it off
:p

Seriously tho, the breaks are a good time to bring things down a notch but not turn them off entirely. Sort of like leaving it at idle until the band ramps up again.

+1

Archived