Opinion Needed

TrickyBoy

• Members

So, I'm not sure about this one... It's us doing "Give It Away" It's one of my favorite songs to play, but I'm just not sure if it works with Meagan singing it... The crowd was into it, but they were also wasted as it was 1:15 AM, so their opinion may have been slightly jaded

Here it is with plenty of warts and yes, I completely {censored}ed the second solo and went shred to cover it...

[YOUTUBE]O1kiUGyaOLI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Not the best 'chick' song ever, but at 1:15 it probably doesn't matter. Then again, what song DOESN'T work at that time?

Certainly doesn't suck by any means. But I wasn't compelled to watch the whole thing either. I've certainly seen you guys do better stuff.

You know the routine: if it goes over fine and you like playing it, why not? But if you've got other material that you KNOW works better, then.....

• Members

She just sounds, for lack of a better term, weak.

I just saw this vid for the first time a couple of hours ago and this is kinda what I was thinking. My thought behind it initially was that having a chick sing it would be cool just because it's so not a chick song... I mean certainly it wasn't a train wreck, but....

IDK, I don't think it's a "throw it away and never bring it back" tune, but it's certainly not an 'A' lister.

• Members

I just saw this vid for the first time a couple of hours ago and this is kinda what I was thinking. My thought behind it initially was that having a chick sing it would be cool just because it's so not a chick song... I mean certainly it wasn't a train wreck, but....

IDK, I don't think it's a "throw it away and never bring it back" tune, but it's certainly not an 'A' lister.

I think this might be it: In the original Kiedis is way way high in the mix until the chorus. I think she is at her normal level and her rapping voice is quieter in general than her singing voice and that condition combined with it being a music mix and not a rap mix might be the issue. Try having the soundguy boost her vocal for that song only and see if it feels better and videos better

• Members

I always loved that song and thought you did a respectful job on it. It seems a little fast, which can take a groove away a bit sometimes. It also made it sound like she had to rush to get the words out, which also tends to make you not able to put as much style/personality behind it. Actually, I found the other female member's dancing much more distracting/annoying! :cool: Man, you guys have a lot of mouths to feed. How many are in your band??

• Members

I think this might be it: In the original Kiedis is way way high in the mix until the chorus. I think she is at her normal level and her rapping voice is quieter in general than her singing voice and that condition combined with it being a music mix and not a rap mix might be the issue. Try having the soundguy boost her vocal for that song only and see if it feels better and videos better

I'm thinking it's more her presence on stage while delivering the song. She sound good, but she seems a bit attached to that mic stand while singing it. This song is such a masculine, from the gut type of performance. I've seen a girl sing this song and sell it but she was bit more animated. She was also decked out in bondage gear. :D Megan may be just a little too 'cute' and pure for a song like this. ;)

That being said I thought it sounded good and people at 1:15 didn't really care. I'm sure if I were there at 1:15 and a few beers I wouldn't care much either!:thu:

• Members

For constructive criticism, I don't think she has the "tune" right. I know that there's not a melody as such, but the "way" its "sung" isn't coming out right.

Something about the way she's "singing" each phrase instead of "rapping" it. It turns it into a somewhat monotonous repetition of a melodic phrase with two or three notes, instead the machine-gun delivery of words that it should be.

Listen to "water" near the begining. Same with "in you" just before that. Listen to the original. It's way different. It's this difference that's making it not work IMHO.

Well, I know what I mean, sorry if I'm not explaining well :)

GaJ

• Members

The band is great. Meagan has a great voice but it really isn't right for that song. I say keep it in the list but always do it at the end of the evening. Could one of the guys possibly sing the tune and Meagan do the tambourine? I like the tambourine in the song but right now the vocals are the weak spot.

• Members

There's only 4 of us. Tambourine chick just jumped on stage...

Im glad you took my advice to ditch the keyboard/2nd guitarist and added a full time tambourine player. :poke:

Also, that was a chick?

Here's what I've noticed. The better bands can get a little more selfish later in the night IE you can play songs that may not be your strongest, or the most mainstream during the last set towards the end of the night, because the people left are usually so drunk they'll dance to polka if you played it.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, HOWEVER always play to your strengths. Get greedy once in a while :)

• Members

musically I liked it. Like it was said before if megan worked on her delivery of it a little (rap it more) I think she would be able to do it well. Tamborine player... :lol: I get a kick out her! It happens to us alot!

About anything works at 1:15.... hmmm. You're mostly right... mostly

Pull out Achy Breaky Heart. See how that flies with the drunks at 1:15am. :facepalm:

• Members

in my opinion it was great. No-one in that crowd was gonna criticise you guys. Also she's a good "front man"

Not keen on the tambourine thing tho'. Not many bands get away with that - I remember the Happy Mondays had a full time tambo player who just spent all night on stage out of his nut!

• Members

ok so... without the video it isn't as bad. The micstand needs to go for this song. I think if she took out the mic and interacted with the crowd a little this performance would be a LOT better.

also, whoever said the phrasing was musical and not rap was spot on. I think all of the problems with this song are very fixable amd it might be pretty strong next time you play it.

• Members

I'm thinking it's more her presence on stage while delivering the song. She sound good, but she seems a bit attached to that mic stand while singing it.

+1

1) This is the kind of song that needs to be SOLD by the vocalist. She's simply...singing the song. But she may as well be singing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" with the energy she's putting out.

Not saying it's bad. The performance is fine.

But just fine...because she's standing there, not putting any 'oomph' into her delivery.

IMO, it has nothing to do with the fact that she's a she. And I don't think she needs to be totally aggro in her delivery, either. It just needs to be kicked up in terms of delivery energy.

If that's not in her capabilities, you need to let someone else in the band sing this one.

2) Mic stand. Yeah. Obvious. What's worse than a singer standing at the mic stand stock still? A singer standing at the mic stand stock still while holding the mic...the one that's already bing held by the mic stand.

At the very least, she needs to get those arms moving, but on a song like this (and hell, any others), get her to take the mic and move around some.

• Members

IMO, it has nothing to do with the fact that she's a she. And I don't think she needs to be totally aggro in her delivery, either. It just needs to be kicked up in terms of delivery energy.

Not to stray too far off topic (and maybe I should take this to another thread), but I've worked with a lot of male and female singers over the years and I've never found that the gender of the singer to be an issue 99% of the time. If the singer is good, and sings the song with the appropriate energy and attitude, it doesn't matter if it's a girl singing Journey or Scorpions or RHCP or a dude singing Lady Gaga or Blondie. A good singer/frontperson will sell the song.

• Members

Its fine. The way I see it if she has the crowd on her side she can do some songs that may not be perfect for a female voice. it may be one of those songs that she has to do a few more times before she really owns the material. I would not cut it. keep it late in the show and work out the kinks to make it better.

• Members

I liked it! And we've found that crowds tend to react well when they make the mental note that a chick is singing a dude song. They see her as being agressively sexy. They make a similar note when a guy sings a girl song, but I notice it's usually done for comic effect (i.e. Material Girl.)

Anthony is super-expressive on the original recording. He spits the words out (over-enunciating) and uses his funny voices, etc. If she really studied that and channeled that spirit, it would really leap off the stage. Have her watch the video and understand all the jump-around energy.

...and yeah, unlock from the mic stand. That wireless mic is going to waste!

Archived