Led Zeppelin: The THING about them is...

New Trail

• Members

...they were so melodic! Everything was a hook. I just heard Dancing Days and I swear every guitar part was so melodic and memorable that it could have been an entire song for a lesser band. As I rule I'm hot/cold on Led Zeppelin but boy are they hook laden!

• Members

Some of the greatest music I never listen to anymore so for me they didn't stand the test of time. I have most of their collection and just never miss them at all. Could be Plant's voice, could be the tone of Page's guitar, awesome bass and drums though.

• Members

Jimmy was a decent songwriter and I liked his acoustic work. I dont care for his electric work. IMHO, part of his greatness was the fact that he had a slamming tight rhythm section behind him that really propped him up

The Who was just opposite: They had a busy rhythm section (that really didnt play together) that was ready to fly apart at the seams if it wasnt for the guitar player that kept nailing down that "1" on rhythm throughout most songs

Please take neither statement as criticisms: To me, these factors are part of what made each band great :thu:

• Members

Jimmy was a decent songwriter and I liked his acoustic work. I dont care for his electric work. IMHO, part of his greatness was the fact that he had a slamming tight rhythm section behind him that really propped him up

The Who was just opposite: They had a busy rhythm section (that really didnt play together) that was ready to fly apart at the seams if it wasnt for the guitar player that kept nailing down that "1" on rhythm throughout most songs

Please take neither statement as criticisms: To me, these factors are part of what made each band great
:thu:

I agree with this and I love Zep, but I don't know that I would even go so far as to call Jimmy a decent songwriter. The songs they did worked PERFECTLY for THAT band, but one of the reasons you hear so few Zeppelin covers is because those songs don't work very well at all in any other context besides the unique strengths of those 4 musicians. THEY could make ANYTHING sound like a great Zeppelin song much more than those SONGS can make ANYBODY sound good.

And again, much more an observation than a criticism. The songwriting obviously didn't NEED to be any better or any different than it was. The band was great, period.

• Members

I agree with this and I love Zep, but I don't know that I would even go so far as to call Jimmy a decent songwriter. The songs they did worked PERFECTLY for THAT band, but one of the reasons you hear so few Zeppelin covers is because those songs don't work very well at all in any other context besides the unique strengths of those 4 musicians. THEY could make ANYTHING sound like a great Zeppelin song much more than those SONGS can make ANYBODY sound good.

And again, much more an observation than a criticism. The songwriting obviously didn't NEED to be any better or any different than it was. The band was great, period.

Well, I hate to be the guy that throws this out there because I love Zep, but it's going to come up anyways: The first two albums are essentially cover albums. Not that they aren't great, but that's what they are. As you move beyond those two albums, the plagiarism gets more speculative and Page does indeed write most of the material originally, but I think even Page himself at this point cops to much of that initial material as being reworkings (at the very least).

• Members

I still want to cover "
" or "
".

There is a band around her that does a great version of "
".

I've long been looking for the right Zeppelin cover to do with my current band. Tossed around a lot of ideas over the last few years but haven't really taken the 'plunge'. Hard to find the right song that will go over well in our party band format and fit the musical/vocal line up we have. With our current female vocalist the possibilities are much wider now, though.

Back in the 80s I played in a band with a chick singer who thought she was Ann Wilson and we did a fair amount of Zeppelin stuff: Black Dog, Rock n Roll, Livin Lovin Maid, Whole Lotta Love-- fun stuff.

• Members

Back in the 80s I played in a band with a chick singer who thought she was Ann Wilson and we did a fair amount of Zeppelin stuff: Black Dog, Rock n Roll, Livin Lovin Maid, Whole Lotta Love-- fun stuff.

Yeah, but those are like the Mustang Sallys of Led Zepplin.

• Moderators

I for one, think they are gods. As Flogger mentioned, the smarter I get, the better they sound. I used to make fun of Page's electric work. What was I hearing?

I was a judgmental adolescent. Now I hear soul and an unbridled connection with his heart coming right through him into his little Supro. I think if they came out today they would be just as huge. As a bass player and lover of great rhythm sections, I won't even start on about Jones and Bonzo. They were scary.

And Plant? A complete original. The essence of cock rock assuredness; but with deep roots. Love them big time.

• Members

Yeah, but those are like the Mustang Sallys of Led Zepplin.

They are. Now. But back then, not so much. (Back then the only Zep tune that nobody wanted to do because it was so played out was "Stairway") What is probably hard to remember now--and younger people don't even realize--is that prior to about 1990 there WAS no Classic Rock format on radio. The term didn't even exist, really. Everyone wasn't rushing out to re-purchase their old favorite albums on CD and working Top 40 cover bands played very little, if any, music from the 60s and 70s.

I remember that we had ALWAYS done 'Rock n Roll' because Heart had a live version of it that came out around 1980 so learning it at the time made it somewhat current and it just stayed in the set because it worked, usually as an encore tune for us.

I also specifically remember that learning stuff like "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog" (around '84 or '85 probably) was initially a stretch--wondering how well the crowd would respond to those old songs. We knew we could probably get away with those because they were so well known, but to take them deeper in the catalog would be to lose the audience. As the 80s progressed and the 60s and 70s started to become 'cool' again, we toyed around with doing deeper Zep catalog (although, for whatever reason, we never really bothered.) And you started to have Zeppelin tribute bands pop up and things like that.

Now, of course, those big hits are tired and if you're a classic rock band pretty much ANY Zeppelin song is going to work for the crowd. But it was a MUCH different world 25-30 years ago.

• Members

What is probably hard to remember now--and younger people don't even realize--is that prior to about 1990 there WAS no Classic Rock format on radio.

And that's something that really brought a lot of bands back. Before, some bands just couldn't go out on tour cause they weren't the cool band of the time where as now there are a lot of bands out on the road because people aren't ashamed to say they like that band anymore.

• Members

Zeppelin for me is the greatest, period. No one else even comes close. But it's a personal opinion thing, so I get it if others feel differently.

But they do make great cover songs. The key is to pick the right ones and then play it well. THAT is not so easy. Playing it is easy, playing it well is hard. Because the magic is that they were as Page always said 'Tight but loose'. Not easy to pull off in a cover band, but if you do, it's golden.

Better ones to cover (than the standards):

Custard Pie

Wanton Song

Ten Years Gone

Nobody's Fault but Mine

All of these will only work if the band is really really TIGHT. And there's all kinds of idiosyncracies in the rhythm. But that's what makes it fun, and so powerful if you can actually pull it off.

Just imho.

• Members

I don't know about gods :), but the rest I agree with, except I never doubted them-always loved the band. Songwriting? Anyone see the Arms concert? I think it was in the 90's. Beck, Page, Clapton, each doing as set. Beck was the best player, but when Page played stairway, the whole crowd sang the entire song, and the tension created by everyone waiting for the solo..........one of the greatest guitar solos in rock. He destroyed the place. Was he sloppy live sometimes? Yes, but in the studio, he laid it down. Catalog is more important than chops. His solo in whole lotta love is another all time classic.

I for one, think they are gods. As Flogger mentioned, the smarter I get, the better they sound. I used to make fun of Page's electric work. What was I hearing?

I was a judgmental adolescent. Now I hear soul and an unbridled connection with his heart coming right through him into his little Supro. I think if they came out today they would be just as huge. As a bass player and lover of great rhythm sections, I won't even start on about Jones and Bonzo. They were scary.

And Plant? A complete original. The essence of cock rock assuredness; but with deep roots. Love them big time.

• Members

As great as LZ was (and I'm a big fan), the thing they did that changed music was in production, especially drum sounds. Jimmy Page gave the drums on Zeppelin records presence and weight that drums had never really had before. It is entirely appropriate that their calling card---first album, first track---was "Good Times Bad Times", a bit of a drum tour-de-force that I'm sure hit the music world of the time like a two-by-four upside the head.

• Members

As great as LZ was (and I'm a big fan), the thing they did that changed music was in
production
, especially drum sounds. Jimmy Page gave the drums on Zeppelin records presence and weight that drums had never really had before. It is entirely appropriate that their calling card---first album, first track---was "Good Times Bad Times", a bit of a drum tour-de-force that I'm sure hit the music world of the time like a two-by-four upside the head.

Agreed abou the big drum sound, but I HATE the kick sound though.

• Members

As great as LZ was (and I'm a big fan), the thing they did that changed music was in
production
, especially drum sounds. Jimmy Page gave the drums on Zeppelin records presence and weight that drums had never really had before. It is entirely appropriate that their calling card---first album, first track---was "Good Times Bad Times", a bit of a drum tour-de-force that I'm sure hit the music world of the time like a two-by-four upside the head.

Do you know how those drums were mic'd on the first two albums? It surprised me when I found out

Archived