Exiting the stage

sroux

• Members

Question for ya'll....

When do you exit the stage after you're finished playing?

I'm talking a venue where there's no backstage or curtain. So you finish playing, do you immediately start to break down your equipment, or do you slip of stage, and then go up after to tear down (I'm assuming there are no roadies involved)

I wondering about opening slots as well. Same deal. The headliner wants you off the stage as quick as possible, but do you go off the stage for a sec, and then return say...when they bring the house music up?

Just curious how you guys handle it...

• Members

I've never been a steady member of a band (work/school/girls get in the way too often for me...), I sub for a couple bands. I've experienced a few different tear downs and the timing for them.

If you're opening (there's someone playing pretty well immediately after you): what's worked best is discussing real quick what the next band would like moved, taken down, and what can stay when/if time is being cut short. Having gear from both bands on the stage can cause some confusion afterward, so having your stuff marked/tagged as your own is important (as it is even if you're the only band playing. I've tagged my stuff since I was a teen...) This method has cut down on the time taken for us to clear the stage, and also encourages communication between the bands - some people are really too competitive, initializing a bit of dialogue focused on helping them out can often lessen some tension.

When you're the only band playing, it's all up to the owners. I prefer, as do most of the people I've played with, to relax a bit before we load our gear back into the van/cars. We tend to get more "You guys are great! God a CD out?"s. But if the owner wants us out the moment that last note hits, we do our best to talk to any fans while we walk our amps out.

• Moderators

If another band is going on after us, I'll often have cleared a couple pieces of gear from the stage before they even get a chance to put the house music on. It's what's courteous to the venue, the audience, and the other bands on the bill.

If we're last/the only band/etc, and it's not close to closing time when we're done, sure I might go chat for a bit, get another drink, or whatever before tearing down.

• Moderators

I usually leave the stage while the band is playing but the MC drags me back out again while drapping me in a cape. I'm totally exausted and can't go on. But with the concern the MC shows me, and the love of the crowd, I'll race back out and sing another stanza or 12...

No wait... that's James Brown.

Yeah, always seperate your performance from your tear down. Last note, BAM, jump off stage and mingle for 5 then tear down. Unless it's a cattle call. Then I'll just pull it off as I'm leaving the stage.

• Members

As a cover band, we're in a different situation. We play for four hours generally until close. So at the end of the last set, I usually head to the bar, get a beer, say hi to people and then begin to tear down.

However, if you're opening for someone, IMO you need to get your stuff off the stage as quickly as possible. This is respectful both to the next band as well as to the audience. Nothing kills a night like a pregnant break between bands

• Members

As a cover band, we're in a different situation. We play for four hours generally until close. So at the end of the last set, I usually head to the bar, get a beer, say hi to people and then begin to tear down.

However, if you're opening for someone, IMO you need to get your stuff off the stage as quickly as possible. This is respectful both to the next band as well as to the audience. Nothing kills a night like a pregnant break between bands

THIS.

At the end of the night some of the guys like to start tearing down right after the last note is hit. But they understand that I like to walk off stage, grab a beer and chat up the people who are still there for about 5-10 minutes. Especially people who look like they aren't regulars. I'm that kind of guy and since I am stuck behind a drum kit all night I don't get to interact as much.

• Members

THIS.

At the end of the night some of the guys like to start tearing down right after the last note is hit. But they understand that I like to walk off stage, grab a beer and chat up the people who are still there for about 5-10 minutes. Especially people who look like they aren't regulars. I'm that kind of guy and since I am stuck behind a drum kit all night I don't get to interact as much.

Sounds like our drummer. He's started the band, and is the defacto leader, so he'll usually go and "press the flesh" after we're playing. If we are the headliner, we'll usually leave the stage for a bit, mingle, get a beer or two, then start packing up. We try to be packed up and ready to go before the club closes. Club owners HATE when you're dawdling still getting your stuff packed.

• Members

Sounds like our drummer. He's started the band, and is the defacto leader, so he'll usually go and "press the flesh" after we're playing. If we are the headliner, we'll usually leave the stage for a bit, mingle, get a beer or two, then start packing up. We try to be packed up and ready to go before the club closes. Club owners HATE when you're dawdling still getting your stuff packed.

We try not to take too long. Usually packed up and out in about an hour.

I am also the guy elected to talk to the shady bar owners at the end of the night for the cash too.

• Members

We try not to take too long. Usually packed up and out in about an hour.

I am also the guy elected to talk to the shady bar owners at the end of the night for the cash too.

Yeah, Greg our drummer usually collects the cash. His biceps are as thick as my thigh though! :thu:

• Members

No brainer if you are sharing the stage- My originals band did a lot of that, we would actually set everything up in a fashion that made it a 5-7 minute breakdown, we would each even grab specific drums, etc.. we had it all worked out with who grabbed what and we would break everything down off-stage.

The most perfect breakdown was

• Members

we play one place and do a 7 to 10 show where a dJ comes in and does like 10 to 2am. Its a fun gigs ,, but I hate breaking down with DJ music blasting out at really high volume. I cant get out of that place fast enough. They have a booth for the DJ so us loading out isnt a factor for him since he doesnt work on the stage.

• Members

Finish the last number.

Say "Thank you, thank you very much" in best Elvis voice.

Wait to see if any audience members light their Bic lighters and start shouting for an encore.

Figure out that's not going to happen.

Walk off stage toward bar to get paid.

Walk back and pay other band members.

Pack up my stuff and get out of there.

Thirty minutes max.

• Members

Depends on the evening.

If I'm tired as hell and want to get home, I'll start packing up immediately. If there are people milling around wanting to talk, I'll stop and spend a little time with them. If I'm feeling good and the wait staff ain't in a hurry, I'll belly up to the bar and make some small talk with the staff. Acting friendly and approachable with staff has gotten me back in more than one club in the past.

• Members

My wife is more of the front person although we share lead vocal duties about 50/50. Anyway...she generally has a line of fans wanting a slice of time. I sometimes do as well and will try to give a sincere couple of minutes. The truth is...we want to beat feet and get the F&*k out! So, my wife goes to get paid and I crack the whip on the rest of the band to hurry-up and load out. It is a weird transition from commanding the crowd...to toting out a a subwoofer.

• Members

My wife is more of the front person although we share lead vocal duties about 50/50. Anyway...she generally has a line of fans wanting a slice of time. I sometimes do as well and will try to give a sincere couple of minutes. The truth is...we want to beat feet and get the F&*k out! So, my wife goes to get paid and I crack the whip on the rest of the band to hurry-up and load out. It is a weird transition from commanding the crowd...to toting out a a subwoofer.

• Members

Gee...I just CAN'T imagine why....
;)

:)

The weird part is that it is mostly woman. Of course there are the creepy dudes that buy her the rose from the roving flower dude. The chicks are either fans who love seeing a woman who plays and fronts a band OR chicks who totally hit on her. This whole new generation of bi-curious females is bizarre and hot.....and... unfortunately (but probably very fortunately) not appealing to my wife. :p

• Members

:)

The weird part is that it is mostly woman. Of course there are the creepy dudes that buy her the rose from the roving flower dude. The chicks are either fans who love seeing a woman who plays and fronts a band OR chicks who totally hit on her.

Same way with our singer. She gets much more attention from women than men it seems. I can see the guys checking her out while we're playing, but I think it's more that the men are less likely to come up and hit on her unless they're really drunk or something.

This whole new generation of bi-curious females is bizarre and hot.....and... unfortunately (but probably very fortunately) not appealing to my wife.
:p

....hmmmm....much I could say here, but little that would appropriate for THIS forum, so I'll just leave it "no comment"....

• Members

I take a couple of minutes after we're done to hit the rest room (and change clothes if it's a tux job) - then jump right into teardown. I've got a sizeable keyboard rig that I need to break down - and as owner of the PA play a big role in terms of packing up the PA. We're typically done and out in less than an hour - often well before the bar is done with the stuff they have to do.

My teardown efforts tend to establish the "critical path" in terms of our tear down - so any delay in my getting to work translates to a delay in us being done - and leaves others standing around waiting for me to finish closing stuff up. I jump on teardown - hard and fast.

Archived