We did our new Modern Pop Medley last night

jeff42

• Members

Beacuse our the lack of practices in the last month we were unable to play our newest medley in front of a crowd until last night. Some of us (myself included) thought some of the tunes were a little risky but I figured nothing ventured nothing gained. This was the brainchild of our singer who has been pushing the band to do a medley like this since the summer. Sometimes it still is tough suggesting things that are so radically out-side-the-box with some of the older guys in the band.

But it paid off last night.

anyway here is the medley we did and I graded the crowd reaction:

Billionaire-Travie McCoy- Not as huge of a reaction as I thought. But decent. C+

My Head- Jason Derulo- This one I was worried about cuz someone here said it flopped for them. The reaction seemed warmer than billionaire, (shock to me!) It was almost like the crowd was getting used to this new medley. B

California Gurls- Katy Perry- Yep, we did it and the crowd loved it. I was worried about this one cuz it is so cheezy and it is 5 guys singing a katy perry song. But we sold it tounge in cheek and they bought it. Especially the ladies. A

I Like It- Enrique Iglesias- The place seemed to explode when we did this. I do have to look into cutting the intro back a bit and get right to the verses cuz the crowd seemed a little confused until we hit the verse and then you saw a huge collective smile on everyones face as the recognized it. A+

All Night Long- Lionel Ritchie- We place part of that song right after I like it because I like it samples it. We play a little bit including the "Tam bo li de say de moi ya, Hey Jambo Jumbo" part. I thought this would lose the crowd but it didn't! I think beacuse it's short... just enough. B

Take It Off- Ke$ha- Again huge win with the crowd. We heavy it up a bit and start with the 1st verse of Don't stand by the Police as a build up into it. the crowd absolutley loved it A+

So there ya go. The only thing we played last night that went over even bigger was Dynamite by Taio Cruz. The crowd reaction just keeps getting bigger with that one. We had our best night in a very long time last night but I didn't want to just post that so I figured I would share the reaction to some of these pop tunes.

• Members

I just arranged one that we're going to roll out next week..

Like a G 6 > Dynamite > Single Ladies > Wanna Be Sedated

Yeah, Sedated is the curveball, but it works ;) (I think, we'll see)

Love yours, I keep toying with Billionaire. I personally don't love the song as well, but I figure it's be a fun twist in a medley.

• Members

Love yours, I keep toying with Billionaire. I personally don't love the song as well, but I figure it's be a fun twist in a medley.

I think the rap section rocks, but the Bruno Mars parts are too slow and, well, gay.

Right now it's on my list as verse, chorus, rap (with no chorus in the middle), then straight on to the next song.

• Members

Great to hear man and thank you much for the tips above.....because of this post, Im going to add Dynamite this week, for sure...........

Dynamite is a big win! It has been working better and better since we added it at the end of the summer. it seems like as soon as the song is OVERPLAYED on the radio our crowd starts to really love it!

• Members

Thanks for that report. Any other newish songs (over the last year) that are worth considering? Any pop tunes that are more like 1-3 years old that are still killing for you?

Things that I have on the possible add list include:

- Bad Romance

- I Know You Want Me (Pitbull)

- F You - Cee Lo

- Whad'ya Want From Me - Adam Lambert

FWIW, we're a guitar/bass/drums/male vox.

js

• Members

Dynamite-Taio Cruz A+ Huge crowd reaction when we play

Bad Romance: B+ have it tagged on the end of a long 23 min medley. So I can't tell whether the crowd is into it or they're just glad it's over. :D

Animals-Neon Trees- B-... we play it way early in the set... merge right into 1901-Phoenix. It's a decent opener for a smaller club.

(these songs are in this video: Halloween Show

California Girls- Katy Perry... B nice filler. Hot n Cold is still a bigger song 2 years later.

"Getting Over You"-David Guetta, Chris Willis BEP- C... poor execution on our part. We dropped the song after one month.

Bulletproof- La Roux- D again poor execution on our part. We dropped the key so our singer could hit the range and it just sounded awkward. Some songs were never designed to be covered by a band.

• Members

Animals
-Neon Trees-
B-.
.. we play it way early in the set... merge right into 1901-Phoenix. It's a decent opener for a smaller club.

We were just talking about doing this one as something current to open with. We all agreed it was a good song to do earlier in the night.

We are thinking of adding Flo Rida Club Can't Handle Me. I think it will go over great. What do you guys think?

• Members

We added Animals right when it came out... It's OK, We stopped playing it for a while but I think we'll bring it back this Friday to see how it does. Never "killed" but always went over OK.

I really like the Flo Rida tune. It should go over well, you could medley it with the new Usher tune DJ Got Us Falling In Love Again, which would work well IMO

• Members

To be honest... all of these tunes are nice... but inevitably forgetable. They all get a good reaction now... but will be stale in the months to come....

Yet 20 year old Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Journey and classic songs from other bands we play still kill every single show.

I say this as my band is currently trading emails evaluating the songs that have worked and failed in the past 10-12 shows.

The formula for newer pop material is.... for every 5 new pop songs you add... one may still be there one year from now. ;)

Archived