Talking between songs

trmckenz

• Members

I do the solo acoustic thing. I try and keep it simple like this. Lots of music, not a lot of chatter. I've always felt that less is more with chatter, and more is better with the tunes back to back.

Maybe, "Welcome to (insert venue), thanks for coming out. My name is. . .I'm happy to take requests." Then a few songs later, maybe a plug of my website and some plugs about other events at the venue.

Sometimes I will interact with the crowd a lot more - particularly if there are a few key party-goers in the crowd that are making a lot of requests, etc. Most of the time, this is not the case, as I'm playing to an early/dinner crowd. Plus, it can be a really tough sell to the get the crowd all riled up as a solo act.

All that being said, I'm finding some venues that really
EXPECT
you to interact heavily with the crowd and get them involved. I've actually had a venue not book me again because I was not being "interactive" enough!!
Damn, I'm not a karaoke DJ, I'm a musician

I've seen both types - the guys who just play and don't interact, and then the guys who talk so much that they might only play 8 songs in an hour. I try and be somewhere in the middle.

Actually you are an entertainer there is a difference.

• Moderators

I've always felt that unless you're one of those few people whose personality is truly entertaining, the kind that could talk for five minutes about their recent fishing trip and hold people's attention, then stage banter should really be kept at a minimum. That said, I think a little bit of it is usually to a band's benefit, unless you're going for a deliberatley aloof/distant image, which is tough to pull off without just seeming like jerks.

Speaking for myself, I like to do the set in 3-4 song uninterrupted chunks. In between I'll do stuff like thank the other bands or the venue, mention we have stuff for sale, and so on. I will make spontaneous comments, but only when a)they're short and b)I'm pretty sure I'm not acting like a fool

• Members

Actually you are an entertainer there is a difference.

No doubt, but I entertain by playing music.

Unfortunately, I am NOT one of those people who can tell a story for 5 minutes about a fishing trip and hold a roomful of people's attention. Fortunately, I realize that, and I don't try to force it too much.

That particular venue was just a poor match for my style, and I can accept that. There are plenty of other places where I do very well.

• Members

No doubt, but I entertain by playing music.

Unfortunately, I am NOT one of those people who can tell a story for 5 minutes about a fishing trip and hold a roomful of people's attention. Fortunately, I realize that, and I don't try to force it too much.

That particular venue was just a poor match for my style, and I can accept that. There are plenty of other places where I do very well.

thats cool ,, I play with a front man that can tell that 5 minute story about a fishing trip and have the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole time. Its magic to watch him do it. He is the top entertainer down here... because if that ability to connect with people and he ls also a great singer songwriter and musicans. I agree ,, you you cant do it ,, its best to just shut up and play

• Members

thats cool ,, I play with a front man that can tell that 5 minute story about a fishing trip and have the crowd in the palm of his hand the whole time. Its magic to watch him do it. He is the top entertainer down here... because if that ability to connect with people and he ls also a great singer songwriter and musicans. I agree ,, you you cant do it ,, its best to just shut up and play

A couple of times a month I work with a band that has a frontman who sings and plays acoustic guitar. He's not really very good at either of these, but he's a great frontman. One of his favorite bits is to have the band start vamping a slow 50's ballad (you know C-AM-F-G) while he tells a joke. The audience will be dancing and listening at the same time, and usually they eat it up. Of course, the audience for this band is usually in their late 40's and up, so they can appreciate a joke like this one.

Here's how he tells it....

My mom cam to me recently and said she was concerned that her love life with my Dad was not what it once was.

I told her that that was more information than I realy needed to hear, but that it was probably due to his age, and that there were pills he could take that would re-invigorate him.

My Mom reminded me that Dad hated taking pills and in fact refused to take them.

I suggested she grind the pills up and put them in his morning coffee. Mom said she would try it.

A few days later, I asked Mom how the pills in the coffee worked.

• Members

A couple of times a month I work with a band that has a frontman who sings and plays acoustic guitar. He's not really very good at either of these, but he's a great frontman. One of his favorite bits is to have the band start vamping a slow 50's ballad (you know C-AM-F-G) while he tells a joke. The audience will be dancing and listening at the same time, and usually they eat it up. Of course, the audience for this band is usually in their late 40's and up, so they can appreciate a joke like this one.

Here's how he tells it....

My mom cam to me recently and said she was concerned that her love life with my Dad was not what it once was.

I told her that that was more information than I realy needed to hear, but that it was probably due to his age, and that there were pills he could take that would re-invigorate him.

My Mom reminded me that Dad hated taking pills and in fact refused to take them.

I suggested she grind the pills up and put them in his morning coffee. Mom said she would try it.

A few days later, I asked Mom how the pills in the coffee worked.

• Members

The ability to effectively deliver a monologue is an art in itself. There are few people that can consistently do it well to a group of strangers without have practiced it.

Even folks who are truly funny often go over like a fart in church in front of a large crowd of strangers - because they're delivering the wrong material, they've got {censored}ty timing and/or the delivery is tentative.

Unless their line-up includes somebody who's put in the time and energy learning to deliver a solid monologue - most bands would do themselves a favor by sticking to playing music sprinkled with a few timely placed public service type announcements.

• Moderators

The ability to effectively deliver a monologue is an art in itself.

This is true.

I've supported amazing songwriters who couldn't speak. They shut up and played the music. Nobody cared or knew the difference. Conversely, I've supported guys that were so good and working up a crowd with banter. They're attitude and game were huge draws along with the music. Those were fun gigs, but only cause the front guy was absolutely brilliant at it. A lot of, "Did he just freakin' say that in the mic?!??!" But...

I say, if you don't already have a knack for it that deserves refining... leave it to the pros and play the music.

• Members

This is true.

I've supported amazing songwriters who couldn't speak. They shut up and played the music. Nobody cared or knew the difference.
Conversely, I've supported guys that were so good and working up a crowd with banter. They're attitude and game were huge draws along with the music. Those were fun gigs, but only cause the front guy was absolutely brilliant at it. A lot of, "Did he just freakin' say that in the mic?!??!" But

I say, if you don't already have a knack for it that
deserves
refining... leave it to the pros and play the music.

I am playing keys for a guy like that now .... fun fun gigs

Archived