Things to Know...

fenderbender9

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, old Roy tended to just stand there most times.

I can see why you'd confuse 'em; Gatton lived with Roy for a time and took lessons from him early on: total protege'.

Met Danny once in a studio . . . seemed like a friendly guy.

Never met Roy, but the singer for a while in our road band that I'm always talking about was Chuck Tilley, who toured and recorded with Roy in the early seventies. Saw them both on a local TV show and they looked like statues.

• Members

I. Look at a guy like Danny Gatton. INCREDIBLE player who got a bit of recognition but he never did anything that was innovative and set him apart from others. He sounded and played like most others. Though he could play faster and cleaner, He was never a household name.

If I defined my musical life by recognition and becoming a household name I would be miserable. As they say in sports, it's the love of the game.

All I can do is sigh when Danny Gatton is used as anything but an example of genius. Just because he wasn't properly packaged and dumbed down enough to be commercially acceptable makes him no less of a legend. I prefer to humbly pay my respects to his memory.

• Members

If I defined my musical life by recognition and becoming a household name I would be miserable. As they say in sports, it's the love of the game.

All I can do is sigh when Danny Gatton is used as anything but an example of genius. Just because he wasn't properly packaged and dumbed down enough to be commercially acceptable makes him no less of a legend. I prefer to humbly pay my respects to his memory.

Ya never know ,, maybe he kinda chose to have a little lower profile. Dont know much about the guy , but not every one wants a full throttle career with all the stress that comes along with it.

• Members
If you are a guitar player strap locks are a really really really good idea. I found this out the hard way at a show.

Strap locks are only as strong as the screw that holds the strap pin on.

I've learned that the hard way too. It's actually worse when you think your guitar is 1000% safe and it suddenly drops to the floor.

Somebody mentioned that bodies absorb sound. True. If you can't raise your amp then raising the volume is fine IF and ONLY IF you have the mental capacity to remember to turn it down should the crowd get smaller. Otherwise you end up in a perpetual volume race for the rest of the night.

Embarrassingly, it took me far to long to realise what tlbonehead said about not envying other bands. You're just making yourself look like and ass if you do.

If you're the lead / main guitarist, have a tuned spare guitar on hand. Even my band mates don't know when I've broken a string because I just unplug and switch in about 4-5 seconds.

It doesn't matter how much you think you're rocking out. It only matters how much you LOOK like you're rocking out. Even if you hate the song, LOOK like you're rocking out.

Smile.

Suppress the urge to uppercut 20 year old girls who stomp on your hands while you pack up your cables at the end of the night because you didn't play Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show when they demanded it. :mad:

• Members

If you want to be involved in the music business, you need to practice, rehearse, perform, and self-promote.

When things aren't working out like you want, it is not because you're unlucky, or someone else's fault. It is because you haven't done enough of one or all of those four things.

Your talent means you're capable of doing the work. It doesn't mean you can take a pass on working.

• Members

As a corollary to what Rupert said, If you want to become popular and earn at least some money, learn the business of music, which has very little to do with the playing of music. Far too many musicians get good at instruments and playing with bands and neglect to learn anything about the business aspect of the music business, which is the biggest contributing reason to 'free' seeming like a viable business model, IMO.

• Members

Strap locks are only as strong as the screw that holds the strap pin on.

Exactly. Which is why a smart guy uses a longer, slightly fatter screw than the one they provide; puts loctite or glue on it, drills the hole out a little deeper and never has to worry about it.

• Members
Exactly. Which is why a smart guy uses a longer, slightly fatter screw than the one they provide; puts loctite or glue on it, drills the hole out a little deeper and never has to worry about it.

:thu:

The 'strap locks' on my Les Paul eventually became just a big screw with a fat washer and a strap more-or-less hard-wired to the guitar. Downside...I've had the same strap on that guitar since the 80's!

(Not a guitar I play very often though)

• Members
:thu:

The 'strap locks' on my Les Paul eventually became just a big screw with a fat washer and a strap more-or-less hard-wired to the guitar. Downside...I've had the same strap on that guitar since the 80's!

(Not a guitar I play very often though)

This is how my main Tele has been since the early 90's. I love it, though the strap is starting to rip, so its about time to replace it.

• Members

If you're a guitar player or keyboard player, learn to play good accompany to the singer. A quality accompanist can go a long way, whereas if all you can do is "solo" and you just concentrate on that, you not a rounded player and less likely to get gigs.

• Members
If you're a guitar player or keyboard player, learn to play good accompany to the singer. A quality accompanist can go a long way, whereas if all you can do is "solo" and you just concentrate on that, you not a rounded player and less likely to get gigs.

better yet, be the singer too.

• Members

A) dont be an Asshole. not to your band mates,not to the waitress staff,not to the bartenders,the soundman,DJ, Patrons in the club.......just dont be an asshole!

B) dont have dead time between songs,dont tell your favorite jokes between songs,and if a patron who is inebriated comes up and wants to start a long ,lengthy discussion about who wrote the song you just played or wants to request a song but cant remember the title and thinks you may magically know be polite and ask him/her to catch you on break and you'll figure it out. DONT have deadtime due to people like this.

C) At least 3 times a set remind the patrons to tip thier waitress and bartenders. Take the time to learn the names of teh bartenders and wait staff and call them out by name onstage.

D) Remember you are Human Jukeboxes and beer salesmen . make them dance and make them drink and the clubowner will love you

E) you WILL get screwed over if you play out long enough, it's just a matter of time

• Members

A) dont be an Asshole. not to your band mates,not to the waitress staff,not to the bartenders,the soundman,DJ, Patrons in the club.......just dont be an asshole!

B) dont have dead time between songs,dont tell your favorite jokes between songs,and if a patron who is inebriated comes up and wants to start a long ,lengthy discussion about who wrote the song you just played or wants to request a song but cant remember the title and thinks you may magically know be polite and ask him/her to catch you on break and you'll figure it out. DONT have deadtime due to people like this.

C) At least 3 times a set remind the patrons to tip thier waitress and bartenders. Take the time to learn the names of teh bartenders and wait staff and call them out by name onstage.

D) Remember you are Human Jukeboxes and beer salesmen . make them dance and make them drink and the clubowner will love you

E) you WILL get screwed over if you play out long enough, it's just a matter of time

B for sure. It is a killer.

Archived