I have officially gone over to the dark side...

mstreck

• Members

I mentioned in another thread that a local venue is canceling bands that repeatedly don't have a draw. What are they doing instead on those nights? Yep - DJ.

Here's the "dark side" part - I am now DJ'ing for the venue. Thanks to the suggestions that I got from many of you regarding "club hits" to play for break music, and the resulting packed dance floor, they now want me to do a full night on Friday night. Now, I really don't know crap about DJing, but hell... I didn't know squat about the guitar a few years ago and I was gigging every month, so why not?

So between the full band, our acoustic act, and DJing, I'm gonna be working there three nights a month. Guess which night I'll be going home with the most money? :facepalm:

• Members

These days, a paying gig is a paying gig...best of luck in that, man.....just dont forget that youre also a player
;)

Thanks. I have a feeling it will be a short-lived venture. It's not something that I ever wanted to do.

On the upside, I'm going to use it as a source of shameless self-promotion for the band. I'm even dragging Amy into it. It's being promoted as "Guest DJ's Amy & Mike from Petting Hendrix" :thu:

• Members

Thanks. I have a feeling it will be a short-lived venture. It's not something that I ever wanted to do.

On the upside, I'm going to use it as a source of shameless self-promotion for the band. I'm even dragging Amy into it. It's being promoted as "Guest DJ's Amy & Mike from Petting Hendrix"
:thu:

Good idea. Also, when the clubs go back into live music you'll have an inside track.

If I may ask, you've got a very busy schedule, do you work during the days or is the band/duo/DJing your primary source of income?

• Members

Right now in this economy go for the dough bro.

I worked the dark side as a wedding and party DJ for most of the 15 year hiatus I took off from playing in bands. It was fun, usually included prime rib, and I got to dance with bridesmaids every weekend.

• Members

You're dead to me!

(just kidding!) A guy has to do what he has to do, and if he's going to hire a DJ no matter what, it might as well be you.

• Members

Good idea. Also, when the clubs go back into live music you'll have an inside track.

If I may ask, you've got a very busy schedule, do you work during the days or is the band/duo/DJing your primary source of income?

Both Amy and I have a day jobs, but they don't pay well and I am heavily in debt following a divorce. Anything I can do for income helps, especially if it's music or IT related because I enjoy those things. :thu:

• Members

I am considering getting a DJ rig, but not to do stand-alone DJ gigs.

We (the duo) get a lot of requests to play wedding receptions. The reason we don't DO a lot of those gigs is that there is always the point that people will want to dance to their favorite funk/disco/house etc at the end of the night. Not feasable for the duo, but if we could shift gears to DJing for the last hour then the couple gets exactly what they want: Live music for the dinner & middle part of the evening and "Play that Funky Music" for the last hour.

We did this in tandem with a DJ friend a couple of years ago for friends who were getting married & they loved it.

Anyway, good luck with your new business.

• Members

We (the duo) get a lot of requests to play wedding receptions. The reason we don't DO a lot of those gigs is that there is always the point that people will want to dance to their favorite funk/disco/house etc at the end of the night. Not feasable for the duo, but if we could shift gears to DJing for the last hour then the couple gets exactly what they want: Live music for the dinner & middle part of the evening and "Play that Funky Music" for the last hour.

We did this in tandem with a DJ friend a couple of years ago for friends who were getting married & they loved it.

I think this is such a good idea. If, instead of a simple background break music, if bands started doing their own DJing---this would be a good way to keep DJs from taking a lot of gigs. And your idea of using a DJ to provide the more dancier material at a wedding is good too.

• Members

Anyway, good luck with your new business.

I played a private party a few months ago where my duo took turns with a DJ. It was pretty cool, other than the fact that the DJ got the people all wound up to dance and an acoustic duo doesn't exactly play "dancable" tunes. It still worked out nicely.

I like your idea.

• Members

I'm seriously considering finding a local DJ and partnering up with him for certain gigs. Maybe have him run lights for us and then DJ during the breaks. Would definately be a selling point for some corporate parties and weddings. Becomes a cost/benefit issue though that I have to sort out first. If I can use it to get the band an extra $500 and give the DJ $400 then it's a no-brainer. If I can't get any more money but still have to pay the DJ, then it becomes an issue of how many more gigs am I getting than I would other wise.

It's been standard practice for decades now for top corporate/wedding bands to offer "bigger packages" for more money--usually in the form of added horn sections, background singers or dancers. I don't really know of any (around here anyway--although there might be) offering a DJ as a bonus. Probably an issue of musicians not wanting to deal with the devil. But I certainly see how this could be the wave of the future.

• Members

.... Probably an issue of musicians not wanting to deal with the devil......

DJ'ing is just the newest and current 'devil.' I remember old orchestra guys complaining about losing gigs to "combos", as they condescendingly called bands back then. Then later I remember horn and keyboard guys upset about synthesizers putting them out of work. And then the smaller more manageable PA systems putting sound guys out of work. DJ'ing won't be the last 'devil', but those who adapt best to changing situations will be able to survive.

• Members

DJ'ing is just the newest and current 'devil.' I remember old orchestra guys complaining about losing gigs to "combos", as they condescendingly called bands back then. Then later I remember horn and keyboard guys upset about synthesizers putting them out of work. And then the smaller more manageable PA systems putting sound guys out of work. DJ'ing won't be the last 'devil', but those who adapt best to changing situations will be able to survive.

A decade from now (or less) we'll all be bitching about the "officially licensed" hollogram shows that feature long retired/dead icons of the music business playing their greatest hits for your next corporate event, private party, and... eventually... music hall. :eek:

• Members

I'm seriously considering finding a local DJ and partnering up with him for certain gigs. Maybe have him run lights for us and then DJ during the breaks. Would definately be a selling point for some corporate parties and weddings. Becomes a cost/benefit issue though that I have to sort out first. If I can use it to get the band an extra $500 and give the DJ $400 then it's a no-brainer. If I can't get any more money but still have to pay the DJ, then it becomes an issue of how many more gigs am I getting than I would other wise.

It's been standard practice for decades now for top corporate/wedding bands to offer "bigger packages" for more money--usually in the form of added horn sections, background singers or dancers. I don't really know of any (around here anyway--although there might be) offering a DJ as a bonus. Probably an issue of musicians not wanting to deal with the devil. But I certainly see how this could be the wave of the future.

Prolly so ,,, but at money gets tigher ,, the pool of high zoot gigs will get more shallow. A band typically doesnt have to worry about those since they only need to catch 52 big fish a year in the wedding biz

• Members

A band typically doesnt have to worry about those since they only need to catch 52 big fish a year in the wedding biz

I'd be happy with 36 a year right now! 3 gigs a month is all I'm shooting for. Any more than that and then it would start to become more work than fun and interfere too much with the rest of my life. I'm hoping we do that this next year---we'll have to see!

• Members

Ya, DJ combo is not such a bad idea. Last wedding we did, we partnered up with a DJ. He did all of the first dance, cut the cake, throw the garter belt bull{censored} and also spun the big band and Frank Sinatra tunes for the oldsters.

It worked out great. We also used one last NYE because of the mixed crowd we had. I would love to start working with one for between breaks and who would also run our sound and do bookings. That would be heaven. That may be tough,...perhaps I will need to train a soundguy to do DJ stuff instead. We would pay as a sixth member of the band.

• Members

Here's what went down last night:

I showed up with a PA and they said it was unnecessary - just use their stuff. Their mains were cheap Chinese speakers - they said that they got the pair for $250 new - but the sub they had really thumped, so that was a big help. It took a little (a lot) of EQ adjustments but I got everything sounding pretty good for what I had to work with.

My big discovery: Just like with bands - people want to hear what they know. This crowd wanted straight up "off-the-radio" versions of songs. It's a shame, because I had some really cool remixes and mashups, but I think I was the only person in the place that appreciated them. Even the "best of 20xx" mixes that I had weren't going over all that well.

About halfway through the night, I got asked back for next weekend. And I made just as much money as I do playing with the band plus 50% off my bar/food tab - with only a laptop to load in/out. Honestly, I did not have a good time - especially compared to playing in a band - but the money and lack of equipment humping made it a little better. I guess it's time to start paying attention to the dance charts and hitting up iTunes for more tracks.

• Members

Hey a paycheck is a paycheck. If they wanted to pay you to dress up like a monkey and throw crap at the audience , well just give the audience what they want. Actually it sounds like that may be pretty much like what you are already doing. Well there may just be a bit more dignity in poo flinging than DJing :)

Archived