Presale Tickets?

trmckenz

• Members

whats your attitude on bands selling tickets to shows? is it the band's job or venue's job?

my new original band wants to get on a show, but i feel like we shouldn't have to sell presale tickets to play. we can absolutely promote our asses off, but i dont know how cool i am with being forced to sell 50+ tickets before the show.

thoughts?

• Members

If you're talking originals in clubs, it's more the band's job to generate enough interest in themselves to sell tickets (although less so if you are an opening act).

If you're talking covers and the bar scene, I think it's somewhat less on the band (but not entirely off; same principal applies basically that people should want to come see YOUR BAND and be willing to buy tickets for it).

In NEITHER case should a band be required to take tickets and sell them on their own, especially if it's one of those "You MUST sell 'x' number of tickets before the gig or you owe the venue the difference" deals.

• Moderators

I refuse to participate in any shows involving the band preselling tickets.

It's not that I'm so proud- I've played for some pretty pathetic cuts of the door countless times, but the idea of having to turn into a an unpaid ticket vendor for the venue is just beyone what I can handle.

• Members

I've never done it and never will. I've done house parties, played for a cut of the door, played charities as a donation. I've gotten together with other bands, rented a venue and put on our own show. There are plenty of ways to play a show. Think outside the box.

Screw pay to play.

• Members

I've never done it and never will. I've done house parties, played for a cut of the door, played charities as a donation. I've gotten together with other bands, rented a venue and put on our own show. There are plenty of ways to play a show. Think outside the box.

Screw pay to play.

If you want to open for some of your heros, you often don't have a choice. This is why we've done it in the past and probably will in the future. There's something about playing with your influences that just feels great, especially if they actually listen to your set and compliment you.

• Moderators

If you want to open for some of your heros, you often don't have a choice. This is why we've done it in the past and probably will in the future. There's something about playing with your influences that just feels great, especially if they actually listen to your set and compliment you.

It is fortunate that none of the decent venues here who get national acts do this AFAIK.

What business does a place have getting touring national bands if they can't even handle ticket sales? Maybe the opening band should run sound too!

• Members

If a national act can't draw, why is it up to the local opener to sell tix?

• Members

you sure? I have a good friend who has opened for anyone from Wycliff to Wu Tang (this saturday) and he's never had to sell one ticket and was always paid for his performance. When we opened for a national band we didn't have to sell tickets and we were also paid.

***Having said that - we have done the ticket sales thing twice when playing in LA but it was the only we could have played the gig and made enough money to justify the trip. In other words, it's possible we could have gotten a show and made $200 or so but we made a lot more than that being the venue's bitch. Since we were a completely unproven band from Texas it was just something they made us do (we don't have to sell tickets any more).

• Members

It's more like: there are tons of bands that want to get on the shows, so the venues make you jump through hoops to get a spot. Rather than listening to demos and picking the best sounding local bands, they just take whoever will pay to play (aka sell tickets). There's always some other band willing to do it, so the venues have no incentive to change.

Though it is true that many of the national acts which my band would play with have almost no draw here. We pre-sold more tickets than ticketmaster when we played with Primal Fear. It might be a different story if we played in a different genre.

• Members

you sure? I have a good friend who has opened for anyone from Wycliff to Wu Tang (this saturday) and he's never had to sell one ticket and was always paid for his performance. When we opened for a national band we didn't have to sell tickets and we were also paid.

My band is not really established yet, just put together a year ago and playing out for ~8 months) and even the international acts with whom we would play are lucky to draw a few hundred people in this area, most of the shows are to

• Moderators

My band is not really established yet, just put together a year ago and playing out for ~8 months) and even the international acts with whom we would play are lucky to draw a few hundred people in this area, most of the shows are to

What city are you in? :confused:

• Members

:confused:

Are you kidding?

In the grand scheme of things, no band I've ever been in has been anybody, yet I've opened for plenty of national/global touring acts at smaller capacity (150-200) clubs to House of Blues sized venues +, and never been asked to sell tickets a single time.

• Members

Wow, that's insane. They should fire their booking agancy and skip the cities that have no draw in.

:freak:

As far as I can tell it's not a city-by-city problem. It appears that DragonForce is the only melodic metal band started in the past 25 years with any draw in North America whatsoever (thanks to Guitar Hero). Crowds here come out for death metal, metalcore, and a few huge old school bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden.

I'm located in Detroit FWIW, but the shows I've been to in Cleveland and Chicago were similar though I didn't play at those so I don't know the booking details.

• Members

Yep. With the gigs we do, any band that isn't worth getting paid isn't going to be opening for a national act. They're hiring us because of our similarity to the headliner, they like us, and we draw.

• Members

Never have, never would, never will. I'll promote the Hell out of my band appearance, the show s a whole, and the club. Selling tickets is like your boss making you buy his daughter's Girl Scout cookies, if your boss is Satan.

I understand the argument that other bands that want the exposure will do it if you don't, but the clubs do (or should) have a motive to do otherwise. Suck bands ruin business.

• Members

Well as far as I know, national acts charge the venues a pretty penny just to get them to play the venue. (IIRC, a promoter out here had to come up with $5,000 just for Suffocation on their own to play out here. Nevermind the other 3 top national acts that were on the bill as well)

I've also heard a rumor that it's about a mandatory 6k to get a band like Arch Enemy or the like to play a venue as well.

So for big shows like that, they will have the local bands foot the bill by selling tickets. I agree that it's kinda {censored}ty, but damn if it doesn't look good on your press kit that you got to be on the bill with some top name bands. I guess it's an exposure thing. I'm pretty sure that a lot of these acts bring a great crowd, so it would make me feel damn good to play and see 100-200 people moshing and going crazy while I play.

Archived