Question for any members in Atlanta....

Vito Corleone

• Members

or elsewhere for that matter, I suppose....

Any love out there still for The Producers?

I was going through some old LPs and came across their stuff. Forgot how GREAT those guys were! That first album is a masterpiece of early 80s/new wave/pop, IMO. And "She Sheila", off the 2nd album, is one of those Big Hit Singles That Never Was.

How on earth did those guys manage to not score some big hits back then?

From what I understand, they still get together and do the occasional show.

• Members

Yeah, I was a big big fan back in the day. They got a decent amount of support from MTV but just never clicked with radio, it seems. I don't know why. With some bands you can listen back and hear that they were either a little out-of-step with the current trends, or the hits just weren't there, or something. But these guys seemed spot on for 81/82.

I've been going through my old LPs and ripping the most obscure ones to my computer. Apparently their first two albums were released on one CD for a short time back around 2000 but it quickly went out of print and now goes for big bucks on Ebay. I've also got their 3rd and 4th albums which I like, but weren't filled with the snappy pop of the first two.

Why the labels who own the rights to these sorts of recordings don't just release them all on iTunes is beyond me. I would think it would be easy extra money for them. There's no real production cost involved.

• Members

Ha!! Funny question. My wife worked with one of those guys at a music distributor when we first moved to ATL.

I'm pretty sure that place is LONG out of business at this point. He was a really cool guy, I can't remember his name though.

I saw them open for Flock of Seaguls about 7 years ago. They killed it!! The vocals were great. Really good band.

Archived