What Stage "Gimicks" Do You Use To Draw In The Crowd?

robertt8

• Members

Other than writing and playing good music, what do you guys do to change stuff up on stage to help draw the crowd in?

Here are a few of the things we've done to some success...

1. Get the crowd singing happy b-day to someone in the crowd.

2. Do a crowd cheers/drink

3. Throw out merch

4. Play some old bad song everyone knows for a singalong.

What have you guys have used or seen done that seems to work?

• Members

I bring Dancebass up on stage for the girls to drool over.

works like a charm man!

To be really honest about the topic. If you're going to utilize some things like this, please please try to be as original about it as possible. I think that's the only rule that I know of.

If you can't be original, just do a {censored}load of pushups and you're good to go!

• Members

works like a charm man!

To be really honest about the topic. If you're going to utilize some things like this, please please try to be as original about it as possible. I think that's the only rule that I know of.

If you can't be original, just do a {censored}load of pushups and you're good to go!

I agree with you to a point about the originality, but at the same time, down here, you throw a "Who Dat" or a "Go Tigers" or a "{censored} Alabama" out and it always gets a reaction.

• Members

Not really gimmicks - just communication. If you see a table full of people clearly there for an event, ask 'em what they're celebrating. And then do a shoutout. You'll have just won over a group.

I'll also chat up people/tables during the break.

Makes a difference.

js

• Members

I like to make sure I have access to audience from the stage if I'm playing guitar. I look for spontaneous moments to jump out there - while still playing - and dance with someone, or just go up to some table and make silly faces, etc. Friend in another band gave away free beer - a reverse on the idea that you by the band drinks if you like them; they just decided, "Screw it! Let's buy people drinks." So any money they were earning went to that, I think. But they earned more of a following that way. Umm...Oh yeah, I just say random {censored} between songs sometimes, like: "Everyone, may I have your attention. I have a very important announcement..." (pause for effect)... "I like beer." Oh yeah, another is getting half the place to compete with the other half over something...like what to play next...or men vs. women issues. BUT I try not to make any of this seem contrived. Like a bad joke.

• Members

For real, for real...

Get one girl on stage, you'll get all her friends towards the front of the stage. If the girl and her friends are cute, lots of dudes will follow. I recommend always having percussion instruments handy - cowbell, tambourine, etc. Gives girls an "excuse" to be on stage.

• Members

We have one certain song a gig when either one or two girls can sit with the drummer. Very popular; unfortunately the lardass contingent likes it too, then you have to decide one or two! I mean a riser has its limits!

As keyboard, I am usually close to an edge of the stage and can interact with girls occasionally.

I know this sounds a little dumb, but when there's a hot chick who wants to be in the limelight I get her to stand next to me and I guide her index finger to play a minute or so worth of bass notes.

• Members

//// THIS

No gimmicks really.... connecting and communicating with the audience. Yep we have girls onstage, yep we have certain rituals during the show... but they are part of the act. We're not just using a gimmick to get a reaction or build a relationship with the audience. We've done that already by communicating with them first... either through music or on the mic.

• Members

I agree with you to a point about the originality, but at the same time, down here, you throw a "Who Dat" or a "Go Tigers" or a "{censored} Alabama" out and it always gets a reaction.

I REALLY miss Baton Rouge sometimes!

Archived