OT: Anybody else listen to Pandora at work?

Vito Corleone

• Members

My work computer doesn't allow it, so I have the app on my phone for Pandora. The only problem is I can only listen to existing stations, and can't create a new one or add artists to an existing one. I love it, and I think internet radio concepts like Pandora will really shape the way music is delivered in the future.

• Members

My work computer doesn't allow it, so I have the app on my phone for Pandora. The only problem is I can only listen to existing stations, and can't create a new one or add artists to an existing one. I love it, and I think internet radio concepts like Pandora will really shape the way music is delivered in the future.

I agree. I don't know how you get your music added to Pandora, but as I'm liking pretty much everything coming through on my "Talking Heads" station, I would be likely to purchase something new I heard that I really liked.

• Members

I agree. I don't know how you get your music added to Pandora, but as I'm liking pretty much everything coming through on my "Talking Heads" station, I would be likely to purchase something new I heard that I really liked.

That's a good question. What's interesting is that there seems to be some unknown artists on my stations that really seem to fit with the station. Then there will be some artists that pop up even though they are really unlike anything else on the station. For instance, I have a Bob Wills station that plays nothing but western swing, I've "disliked" every artist that doesn't fit that criterea, so generally it only plays western swing songs. However, every now and then new pop-country artist I've never heard of will pop up, which makes no sense unless there's some sort of pay-for-play system.

• Members

That's a good question. What's interesting is that there seems to be some unknown artists on my stations that really seem to fit with the station. Then there will be some artists that pop up even though they are really unlike anything else on the station. For instance, I have a Bob Wills station that plays nothing but western swing, I've "disliked" every artist that doesn't fit that criterea, so generally it only plays western swing songs. However, every now and then new pop-country artist I've never heard of will pop up, which makes no sense unless there's some sort of pay-for-play system.

I think that, in general, the filters they use are better than they used to be a couple of years ago. Used to be there were a ton of "WTF?" moments on every station I listened to. Not so much now, where the music chosen seems a better fit. Almost too good sometimes. Yesterday I had created a "Talking Heads" station and everything it played was older stuff I already knew. I don't think it played a single track newer than 1990. About the most "out there" it got was pulling out "Paint It Black" by the Stones.

• Moderators

However, every now and then new pop-country artist I've never heard of will pop up, which makes no sense unless there's some sort of pay-for-play system.

It's not pay for play. You can submit a sample of your album to Pandora and eventually they'll say thanks or no thanks. They're very, very picky (meaning that so far they've rejected me). ;)

Terry D.

• Moderators

Yes, I like Pandora a lot!

The only problem is I can only listen to existing stations, and can't create a new one or add artists to an existing one.

Really? I'm able to create stations using the app on my Android phone. Try poking around; you might just not be seeing the menu that allows you to do so.

• Members

I use Slacker Radio. Switched over from Pandora. Slacker seems to give me a better mix of what I know and lots of new artists that fit right on with whatever I've searched for. Better "dislike" control as well, you can ban an artist or specific track if you choose.

I agree with this. I like Slacker a lot better than Pandora plus there is no time limit with the free accounts.

Archived