Does it matter which cable I use?

PorscheDad

• Members

After a bit of a vacation, our band is back practicing. I usually play through my Hot Rod Deluxe, but am thinking about using my Fender Vibro Champ XD, to reduce my load in/out.

I know this amp does not have enough power to keep up with the rest of the band, so I'm going to use the "Line Out" to the PA(800 watt) so I can keep up. Our drummer will use his Roland Kit, through the PA, too.

Any issue with using shielded vs non shielded from the amp to the PA? I have both guitar cords and speaker cords to use. Any harm in using one over the other?:confused:

• Members

After a bit of a vacation, our band is back practicing. I usually play through my Hot Rod Deluxe, but am thinking about using my Fender Vibro Champ XD, to reduce my load in/out.

I know this amp does not have enough power to keep up with the rest of the band, so I'm going to use the "Line Out" to the PA(800 watt) so I can keep up. Our drummer will use his Roland Kit, through the PA, too.

Any issue with using shielded vs non shielded from the amp to the PA? I have both guitar cords and speaker cords to use. Any harm in using one over the other?
:confused:

Fender says to only use a standard 1/4" plug in the "line out" socket. Just use a regular TS plug and you should be fine.

• Members

No harm, but you will probably get a lot of noise if you use an unshielded cable. The line out puts out a pretty low-level signal, relatively. So it will be quite susceptible to interference if not shielded. Unshielded cables work for speaker cables because the level of the signal is so much higher compared to background noise and stray buzz from lights etc.

But a regular guitar cable should be fine.

• Members

I can't stress enough that using a 57 into the PA will produce better results than your "line out". Just saying.

:thu:+ fiftymillion :thu:

Line out sends tend to be tinny and harsh.

Get a Shure SM57 like ACB is talkng about, a mic cable, and a straight mic stand if the amp is going to be elevated, or a short stand if it's going to be on the floor (the music store will know what that short stand is...some call it a bass drum mic stand).

Place the mic where it is just touching the grill cloth then aim the mic at either 4 or 8 o'clock halfway between the center and edge of the speaker cone.

• Members

I can't stress enough that using a 57 into the PA will produce better results than your "line out". Just saying.

Yep. I have the same amp. The line out will give you the amp sound without the speaker. It's a kind of a brittle sound, becase you're not getting any of the speaker warmth and texture.

Get a Shure SM57 like ACB is talkng about, a mic cable, and a straight mic stand if the amp is going to be elevated, or a short stand if it's going to be on the floor (the music store will know what that short stand is...some call it a bass drum mic stand).

Place the mic where it is just touching the grill cloth then aim the mic at either 4 or 8 o'clock halfway between the center and edge of the speaker cone.

I mounted a 3-hole circular plate to the front of my amp with a short threaded nipple on it. At gig time, I just screw the mic clip on it and put the mic in, and point it at the edge of the speaker. No extra stands needed!

• Members

I mounted a 3-hole circular plate to the front of my amp with a short threaded nipple on it. At gig time, I just screw the mic clip on it and put the mic in, and point it at the edge of the speaker. No extra stands needed!

Great idea!

Archived