House Concert/Gigs

DevilRaysFan

• Members

These are showing up more and more in my area. Its less of a "house party" than just bringing the (BYOB) bar/club to the host's house. Im not sure how the band gets paid. Im also not sure if its a product of economic recession or a fad - I cant figure out what "costs" are being saved by doing this. Theres been two in the past few weeks that had bands. Have any of you done these gigs or is this just a fad in my area?

• Members

Wow BYOB is that still legal? I thought MADD passed laws against those type of clubs.

but then again I don't go out as often like I use to so what do I know.

im not sure if that applies to a person's house...to be honest, im not sure how any of this works, which is why i posted here

• Members

I have done MANY house concerts. Many are acoustic living room gigs for the uber rich. Some have been with signed artists in the Americana genre, some have been with my acoustic duo, some have been jazz gigs....all paid extremely well....but you have to chit chat and hang the WHOLE time. You can't go and hide or prepare or whatever in a dressing room somewhere. You gotta have your shmooze on the whole time. And the rich {censored}ers can be pretty condescending and judgemental about musicians until they get drunk, then they are just drunk assholes like everybody else....

Did a ton in '08 and '09....not too many recently....

• Members

im not sure if that applies to a person's house...to be honest, im not sure how any of this works, which is why i posted here

Well there are dozens of laws that COULD apply-- zoning, disturbing the peace, underage drinking, letting people drive drunk, civil liability etc. etc. plus tax issues if money changes hands-- but that applies to any party. If people are going to worry about being seamlessly legal, there'd never be any house parties.

A band may make some of those issues more likely to occur, of course.

I'm not sure what your underlying concern is. Personally, if some {censored}er asked me to play at his house, I'd find out some details (including compensation obviously) and then either say yes or no. Plenty of younger bands do this sort of gig for free.

• Members

I think there's a difference between a house party with a band, and a "house concert." A house party with a band is well... a house party with a band.

A house concert is usually involves a touring professional musician who is hired to perform a concert at someone's house. People drink, eat, mingle, etc. before the show starts. When it's showtime, everyone sits down and listens to the concert. The guests usually pay a "donation" to cover the cost of the artist.

There's a website somewhere that explains how it all works and you can get yourself on a list of suggested artists for booking.

• Members

I think there's a difference between a house party with a band, and a "house concert." A house party with a band is well... a house party with a band.

A house concert is usually involves a touring professional musician who is hired to perform a concert at someone's house. People drink, eat, mingle, etc. before the show starts. When it's showtime, everyone sits down and listens to the concert. The guests usually pay a "donation" to cover the cost of the artist.

There's a website somewhere that explains how it all works and you can get yourself on a list of suggested artists for booking.

Yes, I go the info...The reason why I posted this is that there are local musicians and bands being hired to do this.

• Members

Basically it's as stated above. Someone with a home big enough to host a bunch of people hire you to play. The attendees pay a cover or donation for the band. You can work out with the host either a flat fee or just take the door. You are expected to hang with the crowd as the whole point is to have an intimate setting with a favorite artist. I think they're a great way to meet/greet your public, make new contacts, new friends, etc. It's also a great way to get a foothold in an area where you may not be that big a draw for a club. It's very much like gigs often were for hardcore punk bands playing smaller towns decades back, but for grownups.

• Members

I hosted a house concert for Vinnie James a few years back. I was a huge fan of his back in the 90s when he was nominated for a Grammy, and jumped at the chance to host a house concert when he was passing through the area on a tour. His compensation was a $300 donation (flat fee), free room and board (he stayed in our guest bedroom the night after the concert, and we provided dinner and breakfast), and $150 from selling CDs which he autographed. I also provided a PA and ran the sound board (vocal mic and guitar mic).

I received $15 per person who attended (just friends and family). We only had 15 people attend ($225 total), so I had to make up the difference. I didn't mind, though, since I would have gladly paid $300 to have him perform. Vinnie hung out with the audience for 1 hour before the concert, performed for 1 1/2 hours, and then spent 1 hour after the concert selling/signing CDs and having his picture taken with everyone who attended. To have that kind of interaction with a touring artist for $15 is the best bargain anyone will ever have.

It was a great experience for me and my family, and very beneficial for Vinnie. In addition to earning some money, he also did not have to pay for a hotel room and meals. These types of concerts are perfect for a touring solo acoustic or duo type of artist. I think we all were a little nervous (my family and Vinnie) before we met, but by the end of the two days it was like we had known each other our whole lives. It was definitely one of my best life experiences.

• Members

The kids still do stuff this way---from what I've seen, there will be several bands on the bill, including usually one from out of town, and a collection is taken up to get the out-of-towners food and gas money to get to the next city. The local bands on the bill will, presumably, get to call on that same mechanism when they're in somebody else's city. Pretty much everyone involved is broke, and nobody is getting rich, but it does allow original bands without a bunch of label or corporate support to tour and build up a regional following.

That may be an entirely different phenomenon from what DevilRaysFan was talking about, but that's what I think of when I hear "house show".

• Members

Went to one about a year ago at a friend of a friends house, the people had way too much money, huge house and lots of rich people hanging about trying to appear more important than each other. Well I guess there was some issue with the catered food because about an hour into it people started getting sick and literally projectile vomiting all over the place (luckily I hadn't eaten, preferring to get my nutrition via a steady supply of liquid nourishment) including the "artiste", an uber pretentious guitarist. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen, and this house was utterly trashed afterwards (I split early once the "festivities" began), my buddy said his friend, the house owner, had even found some couple banging in his bed prior to the pukefest. Crazy scene......

• Members

We've played a couple of private parties in peoples houses. Literally in their (very large) living rooms. We're doing a 40th birthday party for some guy in a couple of weeks. These events are usually catered, there's a ton of booze and a band. The type of thing people would usually rent an event hall for, or have in their backyard in the summer, but since their houses are so damned big, I guess they figure "why not just have it here?"

At least some people are getting SOME use out of those big McMansions. The ones who haven't had them foreclosed upon yet, anyway....

Archived