Something everyone on this forum needs to read.

Austincowbell

• Members

Ok... I'm not the smartest guy on the forum. I'm certainly not the best musician. And, I'm not the most accomplished by a long shot.

However, I might have the most common sense.

It seems 90% of our arguments on the forum are caused by the same thing: projection. People seem to think that the world of music is always applicable to their particular situation and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Just to be clear, I used to be that guy. I thought I was cooler because I didn't play "Mustang Sally" or "Brown Eyed Girl". I was dead wrong. If you are playing music for money, it's a job. If you're doing a job there is a right way to do it and that right way is whatever your boss tells you it is. Your audience/fans/record buyers are your boss.

If you're a corporate/wedding band, you NEED to play Brick House etc etc because that's what your crowd expects and that's what your job is. You also better have tight high quality vocals and show up on time and sober. If you're a party band, you need to be a party band and excite everyone. This goes on down the line.

So basically, if you are in a wedding band, you will have some advice that works for everyone but mostly it's applicable for wedding bands. If you're in an original metal band the same and so on and so forth. I respect everyone on this forum but so much of the "well.... we do ____________" is simply not applicable to the person to whom it is directed.

ok, rant over... Happy weekend everyone.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I think you are dead on right about the problem of projection.

"A band" means a lot of different things to different people. Different motivations, different goals, different past experiences. When we remember that we save ourselves a lot of misunderstanding and conflict.

• Members

So true... and yet - this changes nothing.

You don't know that. Ideally next time a death metal guy reads about a wedding band having a tough time getting the crowd going he won't write "Well, I cut the head off of a cat and {censored} the dead cat. The crowd loves that". Hopefully, we won't write anything and wait for a guy in a wedding band to write "Invite the bridal party out to dance and follow that with another big crowd favorite where you invite everyone".

• Members

It's a great point, but it's also interesting to see how all the different opinions mesh together.

Agreed. And I like to think that most people can take what they need from advice that might not directly apply to them. In fact, some of it might even inspire them to think outside their usual boxes.

At the same time, I'm usually one of the very first to get annoyed when somebody throws out some completely clueless, unrelated, dead cat story-type advice as well.

And for all I know, I'm the guy this thread is directed at and I'm too clueless to see it. Wouldn't be the first time THAT happened....:lol:

• Members

Agreed. And I like to think that most people can take what they need from advice that might not directly apply to them. In fact, some of it might even inspire them to think outside their usual boxes.

At the same time, I'm usually one of the very first to get annoyed when somebody throws out some completely clueless, unrelated, dead cat story-type advice as well.

And for all I know, I'm the guy this thread is directed at and I'm too clueless to see it. Wouldn't be the first time THAT happened....
:lol:

this thread wasn't directed at any one person.. it was just general frustration. In some cases, like the "stage presence" thread, the divergent viewpoints fused together to make great advice. Its just the specific threads where people need to check their egocentrism and understand that what works for them might not work for people in other situations.

• Members

You don't know that. Ideally next time a death metal guy reads about a wedding band having a tough time getting the crowd going he won't write "Well, I cut the head off of a cat and {censored} the dead cat. The crowd loves that". Hopefully, we won't write anything and wait for a guy in a wedding band to write "Invite the bridal party out to dance and follow that with another big crowd favorite where you invite everyone".

But what if it's a death metal band playing a wedding?:confused:

• Members

there was commercial on tv running here for a while that had this death metal type band all dressed up in their costumes, saying to the effect "wrong band for your wedding? hire a DJ instead". Sorry, if someone hiring a band for their wedding doesn't check them out ahead of time, it's their own fault! I used to cringe when the people who came to see the Deadhead hippy band I play with wanted us to play their weddings. At least then, it was someone who was a regular fan, maybe they met or had fond memories with their spouse to be at our gigs or something. We were always up front that we can't do the traditional wedding stuff, and they'd always say we know, we don't want that. So it mostly worked, but we'd still have to play a lot of swing/shuffle blues things so Aunt Ida could do the jitterbug.

• Members

this thread wasn't directed at any one person.. it was just general frustration. In some cases, like the "stage presence" thread, the divergent viewpoints fused together to make great advice. Its just the specific threads where people need to check their egocentrism and understand that what works for them might not work for people in other situations.

Well, if it's not directed at me, I'll do my best to take the suggestions and apply them to my personal situation. ;)

• Members

I do agree whole wholeheartedly with the OP. People play in bands for different reasons and the issue of money is various for types of bands and their goals. I know the music I play, original metal, won't get me any money but it's what I have fun with and what I do.

Oh, I had a friend who danced with his bride to WASP's "Hold on to My Heart" and latter played Cradle of Filth at his wedding.

• Members

You mean.....you don't think metal guys would do better if they just wore ties and learned a few pop songs?

• Members

"My 37 years of performing experience tells me that you are wrong. Wrong, WRONG, WRONG!!!"

*foams at mouth, howls at moon, gnashes teeth*

:rawk::rawk::rawk:

*picks teeth up from floor, applies Fixodent, chases kids off lawn*

Actually, you are correct. The thing is, many people come to forums for both the advice and the lulz. When you get those with years of experience, they have something to offer even if, occasionally, they go off on a tear about something. Then you have the bathrobe-guys who just can't help but be entertaining, though probably not in the way they'd prefer.

I like both, but I'm a glutton for punishment. Great subject and great original post.

• Members

Thanks OP. That's a great post - even though not everybody needs to read it, and not everyone has to follow it all the time. But every working pro needs to at least be aware of it.

right but "Something most of you should read and apply to the majority of subject matter on this board in common situations" is just a lame thread title.

• Members

As was stated earlier it's also a matter of what you're after. The difference in goals for a full time and part time musician are going to be drastically different. For example: I made a thread yesterday about my concern being in a band whose music I'm not 100% convinced is what I want to do. There was a lot of good advice from different walks of life, but I'm a guy who gets by with a full time job and spends his free time working on music and gathering musicians for his own tunes. In that case my goals for artistic output are going to be from a very different point of view than someone who is playing to make a living and therefore has a much greater need to be flexible with styles to make a buck.

• Members

As was stated earlier it's also a matter of what you're after. The difference in goals for a full time and part time musician are going to be drastically different. For example: I made a thread yesterday about my concern being in a band whose music I'm not 100% convinced is what I want to do. There was a lot of good advice from different walks of life, but I'm a guy who gets by with a full time job and spends his free time working on music and gathering musicians for his own tunes. In that case my goals for artistic output are going to be from a very different point of view than someone who is playing to make a living and therefore has a much greater need to be flexible with styles to make a buck.

True enough, but whether you're a full timer or a hobbyist, I'm hard pressed to see the down side of being a versatile musician That was my only point.

• Members

Versatile? :lol: My "garage" band plays "I've Got A Brand New Pair of Roller Skates":facepalm: and "War Pigs" "Pretty Fly For A White Guy" and "Dream A Little Dream (of me)":

I love reading all the different things that all you guys of varying genre's and styles do in your attempts to achieve your personal version of "success" because it's interesting. I like reflecting on what has changed and what has stayed the same since I was in a steady gigging band years ago.

But as for me, I love all kinds of music and that's what I want to play (all kinds) so I/we do. Sometimes when we get together we play "what about this one" and those are the most fun sessions of all. That's when the stuff like the Melanie tune or the early Beatles "Chains" and "Misery" come out.

My current band doesn't gig (except for the occasional back yard BBQ for friends and family). We just have a blast every Saturday or Sunday playing whatever strikes our fancy at any given time without worrying about whether or not chicks will dance or patrons will buy drinks or the doorman is cheating us or...... Which since I don't care about the money and play pretty much for my own amusement and enjoyment is just perfect for me.

Archived