My second gig video attempt... getting better at least!

Blackbird 13

• Members

So.. still with my Kodak Playsport and no camera light (light SHOULD be at the gig tonight, we'll see..), I had some video taken of our gig this past Saturday.

Considering the footage I had to work with.. I think it came out pretty solid! Anyways.. your comments, criticisms, and musings are encouraged, be it about the video, band, song selection, or whatever else! :)

• Members

Always dig the what you see is what you get appraoch on covers. Dig the way you did sample clips of the material your covering. Originals OTH go all out, but for covers, well your doing covers? and chances are the covers your doing already got a video to it.

Just my opinion.

Let the flames begin.

• Members

Yeah man, for a video showing off the band in it's setting it's pretty good. Obviously it's not pro-shot, but I think the main thing is that it gives of good vibes. It's great to see the audience dancing and having fun, and the band feeding off of that energy. The light's are there, great. The band sounds good. One thing I would take into consideration for future videos showcasing the band? Maybe take a few less shots of the audience...it seemed in the beginning of the video there were a couple too many, or they were a bit long. Maybe a minor tidbit, but I think it should show off the band some more. However, towards the end, you did just that.

Other than that, maybe subtitle the song titles during the video. Just an idea.

Overall though, I think it was very good. It definitely made me want to go see the band, and showcased you guys in a positive way.

• Members

Always dig the what you see is what you get appraoch on covers. Dig the way you did sample clips of the material your covering. Originals OTH go all out, but for covers, well your doing covers? and chances are the covers your doing already got a video to it.

Just my opinion.

Let the flames begin.

Not trying to re-do a music video for the cover songs! Just want some video that shows what we're doing, as a party oriented cover band!

That's also the reason for the focus on the audience. I want to show people there and having fun.. that's way more important than the band playing. People will come to see a mediocre band if they can have fun, they won't come to see a great band if they'll be bored!

• Members

Not trying to re-do a music video for the cover songs! Just want some video that shows what we're doing, as a party oriented cover band!

That's also the reason for the focus on the audience. I want to show people there and having fun.. that's way more important than the band playing. People will come to see a mediocre band if they can have fun, they won't come to see a great band if they'll be bored!

I feel like you cut it up too much. You really dont give the viewer time to lock in on the song enough before you cut away to another song or shot. I found it really annoying. If you are going to use this for promotions ,, you are dropping the F bomb and that is a big no no in any commercial advertising. I know you guys have a good band , but I would never be able to make that determination from that video.

• Members

I feel like you cut it up too much. You really dont give the viewer time to lock in on the song enough before you cut away to another song or shot. I found it really annoying. If you are going to use this for promotions ,, you are dropping the F bomb and that is a big no no in any commercial advertising. I know you guys have a good band , but I would never be able to make that determination from that video.

I don't mind the cut ups too much, but the F bomb drops are definitely not something you should use for a demo. And the guy holding his drink cup during the 1st part- even if it's not alcohol, it looks like it. That shouldn't be in a demo video either.

• Members

IDK, dude, my impression from the video is that y'all are a typical dive bar band.

A bunch of average-looking dudes in T-shirts, standing in designated spots behind microphones and playing some standard straight-ahead songs to an audience that's a couple of dozen strong.

Not passing judgment, because if that's who you actually ARE, well, there you go.

But I sure wouldn't use this type of video as a way to pursue anything higher-end.

• Members

The same rules apply with ANY promo device: who is the intended audience and what is the intended result? The good thing about this video: it gives it a pretty good impression of who you guys are, what you do, and that people are having fun at your gig. The bad thing about this video: I'm not sure who needs to see that. Are there any gigs you could get with THIS video that you can't get without it?

If the plan is to use this video as a demo to show to clubowners or other potential clients that you are hoping to pay you more than you get now--I'm not sure this video will do that for some of the reasons mentioned already: drinking on stage, "F" bombs, ill-fitting t shirts. If you're hoping it will open more rooms for you at the same pay-scale--it might do that, but simply the fact that you play Club A and Club B will usually be enough to get you into Club C if they are all part of the same circuit/pay scale.

• Members

I think for a quick promo video for bar owners it's really good. It shows you're a band that can entertain a large crowd and has fun...isn't that what they're looking for???

I agree about the f-bomb.

With respect to the cup, that's kind of a pretty common thing that everyone does in that song ("Chicken Fried"), in the part that goes "raise your glasses for a toast" so I don't think it's really out of place. That being said, while you guys play country, you're not a country band, so do you want to lead with that song, or maybe have it further back to show variety?

Anyways, for a bar band video I think it's a good start, especially given the equipment restraints.

• Members

I feel like you cut it up too much. You really dont give the viewer time to lock in on the song enough before you cut away to another song or shot. I found it really annoying.

The edits are fine. 3 minutes is a good length and you want to get as many songs as you can in that period of time. There's no need for the viewer to "lock in on the song". You're not selling the song, you're selling the band.

• Members

With respect to the cup, that's kind of a pretty common thing that everyone does in that song ("Chicken Fried"), in the part that goes "raise your glasses for a toast" so I don't think it's really out of place.

It's not, but what you need to consider with these sorts of things is that not everybody is going to recognize the song. If you have to explain the context of anything in your video to anyone, you've probably failed. I would err on the side of caution in such instances and edit such things out.

All it would take is one clubowner to say "well, we don't allow bands to drink on stage at this establishment", and then suddenly you're busy trying to explain yourself saying "well, it's 'Chicken Fried' and everyone does that, and all he had in his glass was Pepsi, and we won't do that bit if you don't want us too, and...." ...and why go through all that?

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys! A few replies, and further questions..

The songs are short somewhat by design, I kept them to only about 20 seconds (give or take), and made them parts of songs that people would know.

My target audience with this video is simply people who haven't come out to see what we do yet. I want people to watch and go "oh, that looks like fun". I could care less if they go "oh, that band is amazing".. because that's not gonna get your average party-goer (who's dropping $80 bucks) out to the clubs.

guido.. my hope is that those people will start coming to see BBS, and spending the money they'd have spent somewhere else wherever it is that we are playing. We have a few rooms that I know can afford to pay us more, but they pay us fairly now. In order to get them to bump the money up, we need to bump the draw up, and this is one of the more straightfoward ways I can think of to do that!

I debated the F-bomb part.. and I may go back and re-edit it, using a different part of the song. The thing is.. people ALWAYS sing that back to us, and loudly... that's what I want to illustrate.

wardjames.... I have no problem leading with the country tune. We do as much country as we do anything else really. Besides, country bands do tend to work a lot around here. Still.. I don't want to be pegged as just being a country band, but if the song works, the song works, genre be damned. That approach has set us apart a bit.. but really, most all of the party style cover bands have some variation of that thought process. Besides that, as I do the videos, I'll place the country stuff in different places. Chicken Fried seemed to be the best "crowd participation" shot I got all night from our friend, so I wanted to lead with that.

rangefinder... we're really whatever the situation calls for. I assume it's because of the lack of lighting on the crowd, but that club was PACKED that night. Not a record night or anything, but we had a good 150-200 people there. The layout is a bit funky (I HATED seeing the people playing pool off to the side as I'm trying to edit the video)... and it doesn't scream that it's a high end party band bar, but it is. Granted, our stage attire is one of the areas we need to focus on.. but we are working on it. That said.. we'll play dives too, and we'll go in there with The Joker, Can't You See.. we formed this band so we could play to whatever crowd we run into (within the limitations of what we can do of course). I agree though, if I were using this for press kit style promo, we'd have better stage attire, I'd probably have some kind of hat on to cover up my giant forehead at 27, I'd pick a venue with a more impressive stage setup, there'd be no cussing, I'd use clips where we're more animated and running offstage and such (all of which came out too dark to even use), and I'd focus more on the band in the video instead of the crowd.

So.. is the consensus that the 20 second cuts are too short? Less of a "teaser" (like I was hoping for), and more of an annoyance and a turn off?

Also.. noting that my goal is really to go after the new patrons that would be in the bar singing right along to that Ceelo song (and that my goal is NOT to use this as press kit or booking promo), do you think the F-bombs in it are too out of place?

You guys have no idea how helpful this is to me, please keep the comments coming!

• Members

All it would take is one clubowner to say "well, we don't allow bands to drink on stage at this establishment", and then suddenly you're busy trying to explain yourself saying "well, it's 'Chicken Fried' and everyone does that, and all he had in his glass was Pepsi, and we won't do that bit if you don't want us too, and...." ...and why go through all that?

That is VERY true. And it actually was water or Diet Coke or something non alcoholic.. but I would rather not have had it in the video. Like you're mentioning, club owners usually aren't even gonna bother listening to an explanation, many of them are very bull headed about the smallest things, they would be about this as well.

They aren't the target audience for this video though.. I'm not as on the fence about that clip as I am about the F-bomb one...

• Members

Thanks for the comments guys! A few replies, and further questions..

I think 20 second clips are fine. Any longer is TOO long, IMO.

As far the F-bombs go--well, that's what the Ceelo song IS. So if you're going to use that song in the promo, you gotta leave 'em in there. Since you're targeting patrons and not clubowners it's fine. I'd still probably edit out the gratuitous f-bombs in other places though.

I think the lighting is fine for the most part. The main thing is showing the crowd having fun and you have that. More clips of them and less of you guys would probably be the only real suggestion I'd make.

BTW, how do you plan to get the video out to people who haven't seen your band yet?

• Members

I think 20 second clips are fine. Any longer is TOO long, IMO.

As far the F-bombs go--well, that's what the Ceelo song IS. So if you're going to use that song in the promo, you gotta leave 'em in there. Since you're targeting patrons and not clubowners it's fine. I'd still probably edit out the gratuitous f-bombs in other places though.

I think the lighting is fine for the most part. The main thing is showing the crowd having fun and you have that. More clips of them and less of you guys would probably be the only real suggestion I'd make.

BTW, how do you plan to get the video out to people who haven't seen your band yet?

Well, Facebook mostly. Our fans will share the vid, I'm sure.. and hopefully, that will spread. Besides, a lot of the same people go to see the same bands all the time. They've added me.. and they've added BBS, because we're playing out. But that doesn't mean they've SEEN us, and that's what I want to accomplish with it!

• Members

Well, Facebook mostly. Our fans will share the vid, I'm sure.. and hopefully, that will spread. Besides, a lot of the same people go to see the same bands all the time. They've added me.. and they've added BBS, because we're playing out. But that doesn't mean they've SEEN us, and that's what I want to accomplish with it!

Cool. You're certainly on the way to where you want to be with this stuff. Just keep adding and re-editing as you go. Check out Wheresgrant3's "Nut In A Blender" promos as I think there are a lot of good ideas you could use for how to come up with video ideas for a Facebook type "viral" promo plan. Using a lot of stuff that isn't necessarily "on stage" related: funny crowd shots, audience-member testimonials and the like.

• Members

If I were using this for press kit style promo, we'd have better stage attire, I'd probably have some kind of hat on to cover up my giant forehead at 27, I'd pick a venue with a more impressive stage setup, there'd be no cussing, I'd use clips where we're more animated and running offstage and such (all of which came out too dark to even use), and I'd focus more on the band in the video instead of the crowd.

Well... there you go. You already know what you need to do. I think you should go ahead and DO it, instead of releasing this one for general consumption.

That way you can use the footage for BOTH fan-base promotion AND bookers, possibly with different edits.

In any case, I think you are selling yourself short by saying, "Oh it's just for fans, so let's not bother sprucing it up." Because fans can be pretty sophisticated as well. Certainly as a fan, y'all seem solid enough and there's nothing that sucks, but there's nothing much in the video that would have me rushing out to see you either.

Other stuff that's been discussed... I think 20-second or so cuts are fine, but some of them (especially the first one) in the current video were in weird spots, so that might explain some of the feedback you are getting there.

Also re crowd shots, to me it's quality vs. quantity. The slow 12-second pan over dimly-lit patrons doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see four or five quick 1- or 2-second cuts of the audience (e.g., "woo-hoo" shots) spliced together, then get right back to the band. To me, that's the best of both worlds.

• Members

Well... there you go. You already know what you need to do. I think you should go ahead and DO it, instead of releasing this one for general consumption.

That way you can use the footage for BOTH fan-base promotion AND bookers, possibly with different edits.

In any case, I think you are selling yourself short by saying, "Oh it's just for fans, so let's not bother sprucing it up." Because fans can be pretty sophisticated as well. Certainly as a fan, y'all seem solid enough and there's nothing that sucks, but there's nothing much in the video that would have me rushing out to see you either.

Other stuff that's been discussed... I think 20-second or so cuts are fine, but some of them (especially the first one) in the current video were in weird spots, so that might explain some of the feedback you are getting there.

Also re crowd shots, to me it's quality vs. quantity. The slow 12-second pan over dimly-lit patrons doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see four or five quick 1- or 2-second cuts of the audience (e.g., "woo-hoo" shots) spliced together, then get right back to the band. To me, that's the best of both worlds.

Yeah.. but the video I'd make to go after a wedding or corporate gig would be nothing like what I'd want this promo to be. Still, I get where you're comin from!

I opened it with "Chicken Fried" as that's a song that pretty much everyone in this market knows and loves.. and it was a good shot of a singalong. Too early in the vid?

Dimly lit crowd should change.. Grant turned me on to an AWESOME light, I think it'll make a hell of a difference. Still.. you think a few more "quick cuts" of the audience partying is better than panning the crowd? I'm not sure that I agree with that, but I'd a side of it I haven't thought about before for sure.

Like I mentioned above.. people will come to see a mediocre band if they think there's a great party.. but they won't come to a mediocre party to see a great band. I'm not saying we're either.. but if I have to push one aspect over the other...

• Members

Like I mentioned above.. people will come to see a mediocre band if they think there's a great party.. but they won't come to a mediocre party to see a great band.

I don't necessarily agree with either one of these statements.

But in any case, why not show both aspects as favorably as possible? That way you don't have to worry.

The problem with the slow pan is lack of information. You want to show a big crowd having fun? Great, 2 seconds is plenty. You want to show a hot chick saying "woo-hoo"? Takes about a second. A group of dudes shouting "Broke by Sunday rocks!!!" About 2 seconds. Put those three together, NOW we're talking about a party.

• Members

I've certainly patterned where I'd LIKE to be after what Grant does. There's no doubt he's genius at it. And while I don't see me having the equipment that he does for it anytime soon,

Yeah, it's like writing tunes or covering songs or anything else. You don't have to do it just LIKE somebody else (or even just as well)..it's just about taking the IDEAS you like and making them work for you in a manner that better fits your band, your gigs, your equipment, etc.

• Members

IDK, dude, my impression from the video is that y'all are a typical dive bar band.

A bunch of average-looking dudes in T-shirts, standing in designated spots behind microphones and playing some standard straight-ahead songs to an audience that's a couple of dozen strong.

Not passing judgment, because if that's who you actually ARE, well, there you go.

But I sure wouldn't use this type of video as a way to pursue anything higher-end.

The whole point of my post was that I think they are a better band than that video makes them out to be. As I recall the op has posted tracks or I have heard tracks of them off their web page at one time or another on here. I got a better impression of the band from that than I did the video.

• Members

The problem with the slow pan is lack of information. You want to show a big crowd having fun? Great, 2 seconds is plenty. You want to show a hot chick saying "woo-hoo"? Takes about a second. A group of dudes shouting "Broke by Sunday rocks!!!" About 2 seconds. Put those three together, NOW we're talking about a party.

I agree. You'll get much more of an "action" feel from quick edits than from a slow pan.

• Members

Blackbird- If your band is just a weekend coverband looking to gig at local bars, the video is fine- it shows a band entertaining a crowd, and also shows a variety on the setlist as well. It's a good enough video to use to get gigs at other local bars.

What everyone is saying about the t-shirts, etc.. is just applicable if you are shooting for the club and casino market - in those as you can see, the details become far more important.

• Members

The whole point of my post was that I think they are a better band than that video makes them out to be. As I recall the op has posted tracks or I have heard tracks of them off their web page at one time or another on here. I got a better impression of the band from that than I did the video.

It's really hard to relate the proper feel and atmosphere of a good band at a good gig with a video. For one thing, you've got the simple physical limitation of trying to relate a 3-dimensional world onto a 2-dimensional video. 2ndly, there's a hundred things going on at once that contribute to the "feel" of a gig but a video is only going to capture one-or-two of those at a time.

Which is why quick edits are a good thing. Standing in the room you might sense 10 things at once. The closest you can get to relating that in a video is to squeeze 10 quick edits in a few seconds. And the longer the camera lingers on a shot, the more the viewer focuses on things he might never notice at the gig, like a t-shirt that doesn't look quite right or a lyric sheet taped to a monitor or a hundred other minor things that become magnified in a video.

Also, crowds almost always look smaller on a video (unless the place is just JAMMED packed. And even then, camera angle can make all the difference). Like the OP said, there was 100-150 people at this gig, and probably felt pretty crowded to the band and the people there. But the video looks like 20 people milling around. So again, quick edits can compensate for a lot of this.

• Members

I agree. You'll get much more of an "action" feel from quick edits than from a slow pan.

Its a double edged sword ,, Quick cuts leaves the viewer less time to really evaluate the band, and when its time to pull the trigger for the decision to hire ,, the band gets short changed with quick cuts. While i agree that quicker cuts shows action ,, it doesnt show real action live time at the gig ,, it shows lots of action in the edit process. I find it annoying as {censored}. If someone expects me to pull the trigger and decide to purchase,, i wanna really look at and listen to that product ,, not look at video tactics to try to pump up the action. The more the cuts the more amateur the video comes off to me. The best part of that vid was the first shot of the first song. The rest tended to create tension with alot of bad crowd shots and too much jumpin around in scenes

Archived