Last night I was asked "How can you live with yourself?"

jeff42

• Members

None of them started with original material.

I know. Just saying it's hard to separate them from their original material careers NOW, so that's a big reason why it's so hard to picture any of those types in funny hats.

Had they not found success with their originals, how long would they have continued to play covers? And what form would that have eventually taken? Who knows?

Virtually all of those guys in funny hats were young dudes with bigger aspirations at one time as well. Didn't work out for them and, at some point, a hat and a wig seemed like a reasonable choice for them.

Personally, I'd be more apt to ask "How can you live with yourself?" of the never-made-it-big musician working at 7-11 on a Saturday night than I am to one on stage playing Lady Gaga in a wig.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The nice thing about us is... we don't have to wear funny hats to get the gig. But sometimes during the gig we may. If the crowd is enjoying it and ready to party. If the room is half empty when we play Bad Romance the wigs don't come out. The crowd must *earn* it. :lol: So its not envery show nor is it every song. If we are playing a pop song who's artist has a strong image, sure we'll do something. But not every song that would hurt our show I think. Although it would be funny to dress all 1999ish "mall-core" when we bust out BODIES HIT THE FLOOR. :lol:

But its all cool.

And I think this drummer was way more pissed because I am a big metal head and it was some kind of slight to the gods of Metal that I play pop. If I was always in top 40 bands he would have just expected it. :idk:

If you don't like what we do don't come. Its OK there are plenty of people who enjoy our quirky little band... and we are quirky. I feel that we don't sink into schlocky parody or anything like that. It's just fun. But again just my opinion. If someone is turned off by an afro wig or something like that... oh well you may be missing some good fun music to dance to.

• Members

None of them started with original material. But okay, pick someone else.... Ella Fitzgerald. The Allman Brothers. The list is endless. The point is, schtick isn't for everyone, or even most people. I don't get the whole "you're just so above it all" mentality here for those of us turned off by it.

I agree it isn't for everyone. We ALL have lines we draw where we personally just "won't go there". For me, I'd rather play in a schtick band for extra cash long before I'd take a night job at 7-11. For others, the opposite is true. There's no right/wrong answer here. For me, the problem here isn't that Jeff's friend thinks "how can you live yourself" as much as WHY he thinks that and WHY he thinks it is necessary for him to vocalize that opinion to Jeff. In my experience, such clowns are projecting their own insecurities. Like I said eariler, it's pretty clear that YOU understand the reasons why and why not some musicians would be schticky and wouldn't be enough of a doob to put a friend down for doing it. I doubt Ella or Joni would either. Those who ARE truely above something (for whatever reason) are rarely the types that need to go around telling everybody they are. I'm guessing Jeff's friend would put on a wig for fun/money long before you would.

I tend to agree with Lee, however, that wigs and hats can be a bit of low-level vaudeville. I'm all for being schticky and entertaining if the gig calls for it, but there are probably better/more creative ways to go about it. All good bands need to be constantly looking to up their game, and settling for low-level stuff---whether it be musical or some other part of the show---is a trap that can be easy to fall into. Especially cover bands.

But, a hat and wig can get you some good work too sometimes. I know THESE guys have made a pretty good career of it around these parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwP35XwLnDM

• Members

I was doing a solo private gig playing flamenco, and the event planner came up to me while I was playing and put a red bolero hat with dingle bells right on my head. I guess she thought it was like arranging a flower vase or something. i thought, screw it, she's paying me 500.00
Then a few seconds later I realized how stupid I must have looked, so I took it off, handed it to her, and said, no.
I get that it's show business. People have played in the nude, in absurd outfits, whatever. But everyone has to decide for themselves where the line is.

• Members

Jeff Beck I bet he would have been a car salesman since he's all into cars.

I know he owns lot of nice one that's for sure.

I believe Jeff Beck restores cars, engines, everything. He'd probably work in a custom shop doing race mods or something like that.

Yup: Wikipedia confirms -

Personal life

Beck describes himself as a vegetarian.[37]

He has an interest in classic Ford hot rods,
performing much of the work on the exteriors and engines of the cars by himself.
Beck is married but has no children. In 2005, Beck married for the second time, to Sandra Cash.The first was with Patricia Brown

• Members

That's some cheezy bull{censored} that I NEVER HAD TO DO in 22 years and never would but if you do and it makes you money, more power to you:) {censored} that drummer friend giving you {censored}. If you want to do it, and you have fun good for you!

I'm sure your buddy wants to be gigging because lets face it, it can be very fun. I'm fairly positive he was trying to work out in his mind if he could go against his core values to do a gig like this and he's clearly conflicted. Hence the comments.

• Members

just so there is no confusion. we don't dress in costume like some of these other bands... (not that there is anything wrong with it. Bands like that are fun to watch)

Wigs and other stuff like that are part of our show just like great dance tunes, sing alongs and all that good crowd participation stuff is. It adds, we make it work without it becoming the whole show, just a small little add on... We are a bunch of goof balls when it comes down to it and some of that is fun.

But sometimes we just.. you know. Play. :thu:

[video=youtube;-kyHix0mUrM]

That's some cheezy bull{censored} that I NEVER HAD TO DO in 22 years and never would but if you do and it makes you money, more power to you:) {censored} that drummer friend giving you {censored}. If you want to do it, and you have fun good for you!

I'm sure your buddy wants to be gigging because lets face it, it can be very fun. I'm fairly positive he was trying to work out in his mind if he could go against his core values to do a gig like this and he's clearly conflicted. Hence the comments.

Yeah the guy hasn't gigged in years. There was some jealousy I'm sure. He's a good drummer too. It would be different if I didn't enjoy playing pop music and watching hot girls dance while the band is playing. But I like it. A lot. I still love me some old school Metal, but I don't see the crowds for it in my area... especially not crowds that are at least 50% women younger than me!

• Members

I can't judge you, but there's a reason I turn down a lot of cover band gigs, even though it can be lucrative. I've often thought about joining a covers group for a few months for the gear money, but then realize I'd rather get a part-time job than do that. I can understand digging what you're doing and your friend was definitely touched by a bit o' the douche, but it's not my scene at all.

• Members

Our band is more of a "fun show" band than a "serious musician" band, and we generally get no respect from the other "serious musicians" in town. The last several guys who joined the band actually had friends try to talk them out of auditioning because our street cred was low among the rockers. Maybe it's because we're too old, too fat, not skilled enough...or maybe it's because we're too successful doing our thing in spite of not fitting their mold.

Haters gonna hate. Believe in what you do. There is no arguing with success, or the fact that you're happy doing what you're doing.

• Members
The wet spot is one thing, Um, I was talking about all the s*** you {censored}ed out of her.

:freak:

:poke:

:D

Uh, that's not an adam's apple in her throat, dude.....

I know I brought it on myself, but it is getting kind of amp forum-y in here......

• Members

Personally, I'd be more apt to ask "How can you live with yourself?" of the never-made-it-big musician working at 7-11 on a Saturday night than I am to one on stage playing Lady Gaga in a wig.

But what if he gave you his cd, and it was the most amazing {censored} you ever set your ears on? Would you still feel that way? Would you ask him why he hasn't put the audience first and worn a funny hat, cuz if he did, he surely would be getting the recognition he deserves?

Not all musicians who choose not to "do schtick" are not sad little elitists as you allude (allude being the key word). Some choose NOT to have popularity for it's own sake....they feel that comercial interests in the creative process stain art in a way contrary to their artistic goals. And I am NOT one of those folks btw, but they have a valid point. What's the old saying? The more the art becomes good product, the less art is in the product.

I have a good friend who is a fingerstyle "drop thumb" player. He has been offered record deals, and he chooses not to take them cuz he feels that if he leaves the farm for the hotel and travel life, that will inform his music in a way he doesn't want. He loves farming, rasing his kids and playing in every spare miniute. He'd rather do square dances and contra dances and nearby bluegrass and americana festivals than travel and be on the road the 200-days-a-year-for-10-years that it takes to make it in that genre. It is an artistic choice. And I respect it cuz it does inform his playing in a way that the hardcore working guys lost long ago. And he is an AMAZING player who puts on a fantastic show. Anyone can PM me and I'll give you his web address if you like that stuff.

• Members
But what if he gave you his cd, and it was the most amazing {censored} you ever set your ears on? Would you still feel that way?

The quality of the music he never-made-it-big with would be irrelevant. It's simply the fact that I personally find a good musician working the Saturday night shift at 7-11 for extra cash to be more distasteful and disrespectful to music than a good musician playing in a "schtick" band for extra cash. Why would the music on his CD change that for me? :idk:

Not all musicians who choose not to "do schtick" are not sad little elitists as you allude (allude being the key word).

It's not those who choose not to "do schtick" who I find to be the sad little elistists. It's those who find the need who put down those who DO "do schtick" in order to somehow justify their own sad little non-careers in their own minds that I find to be sad little elitists. Big difference.

People can choose to do whatever they want to do (or not do) for whatever reasons they want. It's putting down what OTHERS do in order to prop themselves up that I have a problem with.

• Members
Why would the music on his CD change that for me? :idk:

Because the proof is in the pudding. If he makes a peice of art, and he needs to not dress up cuz he has never likes shtick, then that INFORMS the work on the CD you just found out you love. To him, the guitar is not a broom stick to make some money with, it is a means of making art, HIS art, and shtick takes him AWAY from what he might want to acomplish on the CD.

"People can choose to do whatever they want to do (or not do) for whatever reasons they want. It's putting down what OTHERS do in order to prop themselves up that I have a problem with." Isn't that what you are doing when you call people who hate shtick "sad little elitists"? Aren't you being a "shtick elitist'?

• Members

Dave, it's interesting to me that you chose a 7-11 gig as the alternative. Would you feel any differently if his non-musical gig was a doctor, CEO . . . . or piano technician? FWIW, all but one of the guys I used to play with in my last two bands prior to my "retiring" continued to play as a career. I think they can make a better case for doing shtick because it's their primary source of income, whereas most of us don't need the money. . . . or at least that's your claim.

Now if you're claiming to do shtick because you genuinely enjoy doing it, that's fine - I can be a bit of a ham myself - but 3shiftgear is right to point out that if you put the music first - surely you accept that that as a reasonable attitude - then you have to concede that shtick may not compliment your musical aspirations.

• Members

Well, I'm more deadpan and serious in nature. So I'd probably be a big fuddy-duddy about doing schtick like that. :) But from a working musician's standpoint, it could potentially be marketable. If you're a "fun party band" like the Nerds, and it gives you a shot at getting management and steady work, go for it. There's some bands around here like M-80 (80's band) who get paid well due in part to their gimmickry.

• Members
Well, I'm more deadpan and serious in nature. So I'd probably be a big fuddy-duddy about doing schtick like that.
:)

I am sure your band calls for a more straight up rock approach. That's cool. I was in many bands like that.

But from a working musician's standpoint, it could potentially be marketable. If you're a "fun party band" like the Nerds, and it gives you a shot at getting management and steady work, go for it. There's some bands around here like M-80 (80's band) who get paid well due in part to their gimmickry.

Meh, management in NEPA doesn't want us (media 5 and the like) so we are DIY... sometimes that gets VERY annoying trying to get into decent places. We are a fun band though and when given the chance we will entertain the hell out of a crowd.

Matt from M80 does post on this board (bish0p) and yes they are an 80s tribute so they dress the part but they also have crazy chops. Especially him, the bassist and the drummer. I love watching them play.

• Members

I guess I don't get the condescending attitude from some of the guys doing schtick. A bit defensive, no? I haven't heard or seen anyone here who are against doing it condemning anyone who does. I could easily have said " you're just insecure attention whores screaming "please, love us!" as you make up for you lack of talent and inability to move people with your music." But I didn't, and neither did anyone else, because that wouldn't likely be true and I don't believe that. Yet, from what I've gleaned from this thread, we who don't like it are apparently sad little elitists working at 7-11s playing for handfuls of people who don't have a good time when we actually do get a gig.

"Haters gonna hate"? Indeed they are, but I'd look in the mirror if I were you.

• Moderators

My objection is not in the dressing up. It's in mixing "comedy" with music. I'm not at all a serious guy. nor have any of my band's been. I dress up on Halloween and party with the best of them. Though I never liked dressing up onstage in Halloween stuff. Not saying I didn't do it if the gig required.

But this whole trend of what a "party band" is. Comedy? It's not funny. Well, maybe it is to drunk people. But you know, showing your tits is the height of entertainment for drunk people too. So the hats and wigs is sort of becoming a stripper instead of a dancer.

So go ahead, show your tits. Above it? Sheesh, I don't know. My wife's above being a stripper. Yeah, I guess I'm above it.

Archived