Last night I was asked "How can you live with yourself?"

jeff42

• Members

"How can you live with yourself" is elitist and a defense mechanism. There is art and then there is commerce. The two can meet in varying percentages, but a project is either one or the other.

The thing that most musicians forget about is that before a peice of music was "commercial" and "popular" and "sold well", no one gave a {censored} about it. It wasn't commercial....yet

"I mean if you really cared about your audience, you wouldn't play that original {censored} anyway, right Stig?"

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

there are two types of people:

those who are in their 30s and get dressed for Halloween and go out downtown looking silly and have a great time and those who think they are too old for it. Neither is correct or incorrect but the first group has more fun. I like fun.

For some people its halloween 365 days a year.

• Members

there are two types of people:

those who are in their 30s and get dressed for Halloween and go out downtown looking silly and have a great time and those who think they are too old for it. Neither is correct or incorrect but the first group has more fun. I like fun.

Depends on your definition of fun. Drinking 30 year old scotch, listening to amazing, world class musicians deliver art with depth, passion and craft, then after enjoying an amazing meal with great conversation with good friends, then going home and {censored}ing the {censored} out of my still beautiful (to me) mother of my 3 shildren and wife of 20 years whom I love more each year is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way way, more fun than getting dressed up silly for holloween and getting loaded.

Maybe there ARE more than 2 kinds of people, Virginia.

• Members

But at least you are smart enough/aware enough to understand WHY there are two different approaches. Jeff's buddy (at least seems to) fall short of that with his "how do you live yourself?" comment. As if the ONLY approach is the "for the art" approach. Which brings up another issue: If Jeff's buddy is the type of musician who is out doing coffee houses and small clubs trying to forward his original material, I'd understand his position. But if he's just some guy (like the type of which I've known hundreds over the years) who is putting down Jeff's band for playing Lady Gaga in a wig while he's playing Iron Maiden covers in long stringy hair and a Megadeth T shirt, I'm not so sure I'd agree there's really much of a "for the art" component to his position.

Good point.

• Members

{censored}ing the {censored} out of my still beautiful (to me) mother of my 3 shildren and wife of 20 years whom I love more each year is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way way, more fun than getting dressed up silly for holloween and getting loaded.

I hope you change the sheets when you are done.

:freak:

• Members

I was in a club once where a band was playing different stuff and their whole show was schtick. They'd do "Splish Splash" and the whole band would wrap themselves in towels and wear shower caps. The singer had a mic mounted to a bath brush. Then they'd do some 60s tune and toss on hippie wigs rainbow vests and peace signs. It went on like that all night. I wanted to shoot myself, but the crowd loved them and they got paid a lot of money.

Was it the Bop-a-Dips? They put on a good show for the crowd and are very very well paid.

• Members

The thing that most musicians forget about is that before a peice of music was "commercial" and "popular" and "sold well", no one gave a {censored} about it. It wasn't commercial....yet

Except the producer getting paid to make the flavor of the month 16 year look like he has some semblance of talent.

• Members

Wigs and hats. There's no sense of danger or statement. It's just lamp-shade-as-hat humor. Not rock and roll. I hate the prevailing hats and wigs direction. Have some attitude, some self respect... offer something of yourself beside something to laugh
at.
And yeah, that's not laugh with.

Fart humor too maybe?

I like image. I like strange. I like punk, androgyny, cock rock 'tude, glam whatever. Or straight up style. But bottom rung vaudeville? Cheeze wiz.

there is room for everyone... and its not like we do huge costumes and stuff all the time or every song and concentrate on THAT more than the music. We do these things for just a few to make them more "fun." I kinda want the band to be more than 5 guys playing instruments... That's not for everyone and that's cool.

we cant just be a shoe gaze band and be uber serious rock guys... that's not us and when we were more like that it didn't help us either.

• Members

Drinking 30 year old scotch, listening to amazing, world class musicians deliver art with depth, passion and craft, then after enjoying an amazing meal with great conversation with good friends, then going home and {censored}ing the {censored} out of my still beautiful (to me) mother of my 3 shildren and wife of 20 years whom I love more each year is way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way way, more fun than getting dressed up silly for holloween and getting loaded.

Im-very-important-I-have-many-leather-bo

:lol:

• Members

For me if I don't like the band I won't be at their gig. Unless they wanna pay me to come out and buy me and my friends drinks all night long and drink for free. I would make sure I could get up on the mic and brag their the best band in the world. :thu:

Your buddy reminds me of those people that brag how good they are. Then when you go see them their mediocre at best. From what learned the really great players don't say a word because it's everybody else bragging for them. :cool:

• Members

This kinda reminds me of the whole "covers vs. originals" argument. Some guys steadfastly refuse to play covers, period....other guys have no problem at all with it. Same thing here. It's not a matter of right and wrong....it's just whether or not one enjoys it.

I've always found it ironic how many musicians seem to think they're "above" playing in a cheezy schtick band....as if you're a sell-out or something. The irony lies in the fact that these guys typically make a living by doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with music. Meanwhile, the guys playing in the cheez-o bands are at least out there playing, and are considered professional musicians in some capacity.

I've also said before, "There are two types of musicians: working and starving. Which do you want to be?"

Anybody can sit there jamming all nite long to the music they love, or that they wrote. Hell, we do that for free.

It takes a different type of player to take music that they may not care for personally and sell it convincingly. To me, that's where the term "professional" comes in. A professional really doesn't put much thought into whether he likes the stuff....he doesn't have to. He just goes out there and does it.

• Members

I've always found it ironic how many musicians seem to think they're "above" playing in a cheezy schtick band....as if you're a sell-out or something. The irony lies in the fact that these guys typically make a living by doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with music. Meanwhile, the guys playing in the cheez-o bands are at least out there playing, and are considered professional musicians in some capacity.

So, for you, playing any kind of music under any circumstance in any manner beats a day job? That's cool. On the other hand, I'm trying to imagine Jeff Beck or Miles Davis or Joni Mitchell wearing funny hats and wigs at a gig.

Just keep in mind that a lot of us would rather never play in public again if that's what it took to get a gig. Like Jeff said, there's room for all of it, and I thank God there is. There's no right of wrong to it, and frankly, what you consider to be ironic I consider to be perfectly logical.

A professional really doesn't put much thought into whether he likes the stuff....he doesn't have to. He just goes out there and does it

.I beg to differ. Maybe some professionals don't put much thought into whether they like a song or not, but some do. Lots of pros won't touch songs they don't believe in and that don't have any meaning for them. When I do my solo act and even in my own band, I don't play a single song I don't want to. I do play stuff I don't care for when I do the cover bands.

• Members

On the other hand, I'm trying to imagine Jeff Beck or Miles Davis or Joni Mitchell wearing funny hats and wigs at a gig.

Mostly because it's impossible to imagine those artists separate from their original material. Question is: what would they have done had they not had success with their originals? Would they have dropped out of music (or seriously sidelined it) and gone on to careers as stockbrokers or seaside shopkeepers or whatever? Or would they have continued to play music professionally and gone down whatever-path that may have led as long as they continued to work?

• Members

Mostly because it's impossible to imagine those artists separate from their original material. Question is: what would they have done had they not had success with their originals? Would they have dropped out of music (or seriously sidelined it) and gone on to careers as stockbrokers or seaside shopkeepers or whatever? Or would they have continued to play music professionally and gone down whatever-path that may have led as long as they continued to work?

Jeff Beck I bet he would have been a car salesman since he's all into cars.

I know he owns lot of nice one that's for sure.

• Members

None of them started with original material. But okay, pick someone else.... Ella Fitzgerald. The Allman Brothers. The list is endless. The point is, schtick isn't for everyone, or even most people. I don't get the whole "you're just so above it all" mentality here for those of us turned off by it.

• Members

Jeff Beck I bet he would have been a car salesman since he's all into cars.

I know he owns lot of nice one that's for sure.

Yeah, you never know. Stephen Stills auditioned to be one of The Monkees. So there's at least one guy who apparently wasn't above wearing a funny hat if that's what it took for him to make some money in the 'biz. Obviously many others would rather go sell cars than don a funny hat.

Archived