More SXSW madness

MrKnobs

• Moderators

So, we've played four of the seven shows we're slated to do during SXSW. Two more today (next one is at 3 PM, I'd better get my ass packed and out the door), one Sunday.

Last night at 9, my singer calls me to say that a club we regularly play at was asking us for help. They're new to this, and it seems they didn't understand what "backline" is. The band that was supposed to play showed up, asked where the backline was, the venue manager said "huh?" and the band walked. Can't play without amps and drums, I guess. :idk:

So the manager has a packed house and no band. He makes some frantic phone calls, one to Julie and she calls me. We're both sick as as dog (really bad cold / bronchitis thing going around, thanks SXSW!) but we gig a lot at this place and they pay well so we figure we have to try to help somehow.

I ask Julie when the skipped band is supposed to go on. She says, "9, and he also needs coverage to 12." I look at my watch and it's 9. On a GOOD night it takes me 45 min to drive to that venue as it's as far from where I live as can be, and still call itself Austin. But this isn't a GOOD night, it's a SXSW weekend night. I35 will be a parking lot. :freak:

Julie, however, lives about 10 min away and doesn't have to drive through downtown.

So we decide that she'll go right now and do a solo set, and we'll call the other bands we play with (the good ones) and see if they can fill in. Sick as I am, I'd have gone, but by the time I got there it would have been 11 at best, so I decided to stay home. :idk:

As I press SUBMIT on this thread, I'm off to south Austin for yet another short show at some place we've never played before. I hope Julie can still sing. :cry:

Gotta love SXSW. Wouldn't be surprised if we get yet another emergency fill in call, that seems to be the route to exposure at SXSW, if there's any value to that. :idk:

Terry D.

P.S. What are you cover band guys doing this insane week? Are you taking the week off, or playing private parties and such? Seems like every 6th St and Red River and Soco venue has joined up with SXSW or one of the other "outlaw" festivals this year. Are you gigging?

• Members

So, we've played four of the seven shows we're slated to do during SXSW. Two more today (next one is at 3 PM, I'd better get my ass packed and out the door), one Sunday.

Last night at 9, my singer calls me to say that a club we regularly play at was asking us for help. They're new to this, and it seems they didn't understand what "backline" is. The band that was supposed to play showed up, asked where the backline was, the venue manager said "huh?" and the band walked. Can't play without amps and drums, I guess.
:idk:

So the manager has a packed house and no band. He makes some frantic phone calls, one to Julie and she calls me. We're both sick as as dog (really bad cold / bronchitis thing going around, thanks SXSW!) but we gig a lot at this place and they pay well so we figure we have to try to help somehow.

I ask Julie when the skipped band is supposed to go on. She says, "9, and he also needs coverage to 12." I look at my watch and it's 9. On a GOOD night it takes me 45 min to drive to that venue as it's as far from where I live as can be, and still call itself Austin. But this isn't a GOOD night, it's a SXSW weekend night. I35 will be a parking lot.
:freak:

Julie, however, lives about 10 min away and doesn't have to drive through downtown.

So we decide that she'll go right now and do a solo set, and we'll call the other bands we play with (the good ones) and see if they can fill in. Sick as I am, I'd have gone, but by the time I got there it would have been 11 at best, so I decided to stay home.

As I press SUBMIT on this thread, I'm off to south Austin for yet another short show at some place we've never played before. I hope Julie can still sing.
:cry:

Gotta love SXSW. Wouldn't be surprised if we get yet another emergency fill in call, that seems to be the route to exposure at SXSW, if there's any value to that.

Terry D.

P.S. What are you cover band guys doing this insane week? Are you taking the week off, or playing private parties and such? Seems like every 6th St and Red River and Soco venue has joined up with SXSW or one of the other "outlaw" festivals this year. Are you gigging?

It took me an hour and a half to get across the bridge from port isabel to the gig on south padre. texas week eeeeeeeeek. Got lucky on the way home ,got done a little early,, hit the seam and it only took 30 mins to get home. traffic was still lined up all the way across the bridge bumper going on the island at 3am. Last night was for sure crazy over there. .. by sunday night the worst of it will be over. spring break 2011 wooooo hoooooo. lol

• Members

We didn't have anything booked. I know a lot of my friends' bands are doing private parties, most of them nowhere near downtown. I know Cedar Street is a SXSW venue, so I'm sure they don't have their regular bands this week.

This year's been so crazy that my buddy who comes down every year from Arkansas is considering not coming back next year. I think SXSW is getting too big for its britches...

But I'm glad people are having fun in my town. Since I rarely have to cross the "downtown barrier" it's not a big deal for me. Like Julie, I live south.

Brian V.

• Moderators

This year's been so crazy that my buddy who comes down every year from Arkansas is considering not coming back next year. I think SXSW is getting too big for its britches...

I heard on the radio (as I was stuck on I35 at the bridge over the river, one of the worst bottlenecks in the entire US) that SXSW includes a fashion show this year. That's definitely too big for its britches, I'd say.

:freak:

But it's not just SXSW, it's also all those other copycat festivals cashing in on all the people here for SXSW and all the bands wanting to play for free in between their official 20 min SXSW slots. :freak:

J & I played our two shows today, and a friend who played earlier at the same venue called Julie to say, "Hey, I'm at xxxx and there's an inside band, a patio band, a parking lot band, and a band playing in a pickup truck presently. I don't see anyone playing on the roof, want me to call dibs for you?" :freak:

But I'm glad people are having fun in my town. Since I rarely have to cross the "downtown barrier" it's not a big deal for me. Like Julie, I live south.

Brian V.

I guess I'm gonna have to start taking the 130 toll road, as expensive as that is. :cry:

I wonder if the people here who aren't from Texas know about SH130. It was built by a foreign corporation and they get to collect all money from it, having paid Texas an upfront fee for the arrangement. They can set the toll to be anything they want, and TxDOT is not allowed to build any free roads nearby. If the foreign owners don't make a certain amount from it, TxDOT has to buy it from them! If that's not bad enough, they're lowering the speed limits on I35 and putting more stop lights on 685 (runs parallel to the toll road) and heavily ticketing both roads to drive more people onto the paid road (which is nearly empty). :mad:

No need to look to Libya or Egypt for corruption, it's rampant in Texas. :facepalm:

Terry D.

• Members

Privatization of infrastructure's just a wonderful thing, isn't it? That's what we're going to keep on getting if we keep letting the good old rich boy network (aka the GOP's take on a "free market") do it to us... :cop:

I will say 130/45 is a super nice road, though...it should be considering how much it cost to build.

I'm just happy they're finishing the other flyovers on the 35/Ben White interchange. They were always biased against those of us who live south of there, making it a lot harder to get to the 290/71 freeway and clogging up the frontage roads.

Brian V.

Archived