Honest and brutal feedback please :D

• Members

The tempo drifts a lot, especially noticeable in the beginning. It starts out faster, then gradually slows down, then goes between the two. Arggh!

Drums are overly compressed to the point that there is no definition at all to them. It's all boom and sizzle, no "thump." In fact, I think the entire mix has way too much compression on it.

Lead vocal goes slightly flat often in the song, but otherwise sounds decent enough.

Guitars lose their power when they should be at their crunchiest for the chorus. This is probably due to overuse of compression as well.

Not a bad song, but definitely needs some work too.

:cool:

• Members

Hey, I'm in this band and everyone is telling me to stay, but I'm not too happy with a few things.. It would mean the world to me if you could tell me exactly what you think of this Demo:

http://thestaples.bandcamp.com/

I figure I can get honest feedback from people hiding behind their computers, right?

Thanks in Advance
:wave:

Ok, I'll start.

Very current. Good start! I don't know how the drums were done, but watch the meter. Sometimes you get ahead of them. I like your vocals. I like the solid driving rhythm, but don't like how the bass seems to drop out at times (partial, y'know).

I'm an older dude, but I regularly gig with much younger, so take this with a grain of salt.

• Members

It didn't ask for an email address for me. Just click the play icon.

Timing on the drums is all over the place. Can't really hear the bass.

Honestly I think it would be okay if the drums were better, but for me they're so far off it's really distracting. Vocals sounded decent for what they were and while the guitars weren't great, I don't think they were a problem.

Fix the drums. They need to be locked in with the guitar in the beginning and it's not even close. Pretty bad in the break down too. Bring up the bass and you'll be okay.

• Members

Hey dude. I could be wrong, but from your post ("Everyone is telling me to stay, but I'm not to happy with a few things") it seems as though you have other issues with the band aside from the actual music itself. Maybe telling us what those are might be more help?

As for the demo itself, as Tim pointed out timing is definitely an issue, and the drums (and most likely the whole song, for that matter) are WAY over-compressed and have way too much sheen/sizzle/high end, to the point where the cymbals sound distorted. Also, I couldn't hear the bass at all (or any low end at all, really, save for the bass drum).

I thought the actual song itself was nice, I could definitely hear that on the radio, and I thought the vocals were great. The only thing I can say negatively was that the chorus lacked any "punch", it almost sounds like something is "missing", I don't know, maybe some backing vox and/or guitar overdubs? Same goes for the intro, and the verses, maybe a few guitar overdubs and minor backing vox (i.e. "oohs and aaahs") might help there as well?

Also, no offense, but you wanted brutal and honest, so here goes...that pic of the guy with the bass on the page looks AWFUL, and I'd be willing to be that it gives the impression to just about ANYONE seeing it (not just me) that the music is going to be a joke cuz the pic looks like a really young teenager that has no clue what he's doing.

• Members

Its ok ,, I sure would not invest any real money in any band cd projects. As for bailing out or staying. Dont think it really matters much. You either wanna keep plugging away home brewing demos of your own music working out ironing out the rough spots that were pointed out, or just go get in another band and see how that works out for you. Its basically a personal decision.

• Members

Gotta agree with most of he others. The only really redeeming thing about this recording is the song and the vocal, which show promise but still need work and polish. The rest of the musicianship is quite amatuerish. Timing is off, audio quality isn't great, well, not even good, merely fair, guitar tones uninspiring, yada, yada, yada. That's why many bands in the 60's actually used pro session musicians to record their albums, because they weren't very good musicians.:idea:

• Members

hahah well thanks for the feedback! I'm only playing guitar on it. As for the timing, the studio we went to was very unprofessional, and we had an hour (it was free, after all). They made me go direct in for most of the recording and it delayed constantly as I was playing with the drummer. He'd be watching me trying to play along, only to be hearing what I was playing delayed a half second or so. Of course that's no excuse. I'm not really liking the music we are making, so I'm taking action. The guitar does sound awful and uninspiring, I agree.

• Members

Also, no offense, but you wanted brutal and honest, so here goes...that pic of the guy with the bass on the page looks AWFUL, and I'd be willing to be that it gives the impression to just about ANYONE seeing it (not just me) that the music is going to be a joke cuz the pic looks like a really young teenager that has no clue what he's doing.

This made me laugh really hard. Thank you, I really needed to laugh. And no, this isn't being sarcastic :D

• Members

Your explanation for the timing issues makes sense, although in that situation, what you should do is have people record to a click. Lay down your part to a click, then have the drummer play his part along with that, or vice versa. I'm glad it was free, but unfortunately, it was worth what you paid for it. Any engineer with any experience and/or brains would have recognized that problem right away and dealt with it.

The problems were production problems, completely understandable with something recorded for free in one hour. I'd say the song shows enough promise that you should pool some money and find a real engineer with a good track record and reputation and get a proper recording of the song. I wouldn't use that one for anything---people are going to judge your band by the recording shortcomings.

• Members

Short end of it is that it's a cool song and a {censored} recording. In my opinion, take the recording down and don't let anyone hear it. I say this because non-musician people will listen to it and do the same thing people do when they hear a good band with a garbage sound guy: they'll blame the band and say that they aren't good.

I would pool some money together and try to re-record the drums to a click in the nicest studio you can afford. You can track bass and guitars in someone's house and probably vocals in a cheaper studio but the drums sound so {censored}ty that it will just burn the track. It's like serving a great meal on a filthy plate.

but again, the core song is really really good.

• Members

Man, get another drummer or teach him to play to a click track. Dreadful.

The music isn't my cup of tea but with a better drummer it won't be completely awful, which it is now. If you ain't got a drummer, you got nuthin. Also when you're recording drums, use the Glyn Johns technique. It's so much cleaner and easier and you won't have any phase issues if you do it right.

I agree with the other posters, use a real studio or learn to do it yourself. Horrible recording.

Archived