Lower price--multi gigs

• Members

How do you guys feel about taking less money per gig but being booked for multiple gigs?

I just got a call from a tavern owner who wants to book our band for most of the summer but at a reduced rate. We're not kidding anybody, we don't make "real" money doing this but there comes a point when you wonder "How cheap do we go". Cool thing about this tavern/area is that it attracts a ton of SF Bay Area tourists in the summer. Could be some side benefits to that, hard to tell.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We usually get about 400-450 night. He's offering $300 with at least half a dozen gigs. This is a big tourist area called Lake Almanor in N.CA. LOTS of activities in the summer. We don't have a real problem getting gigs but we've never really tried booking that many gigs in a short period of time. We considered saying yes but at a two-night minimium. ($600 weekend)

• Members

If you have cd's to sell, it could pay off. If not, it probably won't. How many in your group? And how far away from your house is the gig? I'd take 300.00 for three guys to do a gig in a packed place full of tourists near my house cause I know we'd sell a ton of cd's.

• Members

No, we don't have CD's,. We're an old-fart classic rock band but we got some chops. I told the wife about it, she suggested we pull our 5th wheel over (really nice huge lake) and just camp for the summer and play on the weekend. It's about one hour from my home.

• Members

Is this a gig you already play and he's offering more gigs for less $$, or a new place? Either way, an hour commute for 300 bucks isn't too good unless you are a 3 piece. Then consider the gas costs and renting a place for your camper, and what about the rest of the band and lodging if you did take a deal where you got 2 nights in a row? It sounds like you'll lose money. Even if you don't play to make money, it shouldn't cost you to play.

• Members

We usually get about 400-450 night. He's offering $300 with at least half a dozen gigs. This is a big tourist area called Lake Almanor in N.CA. LOTS of activities in the summer. We don't have a real problem getting gigs but we've never really tried booking that many gigs in a short period of time. We considered saying yes but at a two-night minimium. ($600 weekend)

Please tell me that is per person.

• Members

I think if there's THAT many tourists in the area that will be at the pub he can afford to pay your usual rate. But thats just me personally.

I dont really see much of an upside to doing it other than the fact that it could well be a bunch of packed gigs. But's a long way from your house, its low pay in a tourist season where rates are usually at their highest and crowds are usually in.

Maybe if he threw in dinner and drinks for the band plus family members or something....maybe.

• Members

I would pass on an offer like that, but I might consider it if it were for a month straight or something and 2 nights in a row like you suggested each time. That would be every weekend for 4 weeks, 8 nights total. That equals $2400. Not a whole lot really when you think about, but if you could keep the PA gear at the same place for that same period of time, that would make it somewhat more attractive. Even then, I'd probably regret agreeing to it.

How many people are in your band? Four?

Still, I get irritated when I think about how low bars pay around here. I was in a 4-piece band making $300/night for bar gigs back in 1989. Now I'm making $350-400/night in 2011. :rolleyes: Used to make $1000/night for a prom and often played two a weekend for a few weeks. Now the DJ's rule that market.

No just another band on the race to the bottom.

:lol:

• Members

Yeah, we were thinking along those lines too. They usually throw in dinner too. They've got a pretty good grill.

You might wanna shoot for holiday weekends where you can slam down 3 or 4 gigs without a load out. That might make the numbers work better for you. Alot depends just on how many gigs you guys play a month at your normal rate. Its just a numbers game vs how much you wanna play

• Members

I wouldn't just because for each lower priced gig you do for him, that's one less you can do somewhere else at your regular rate.

And that is a viable point because we also have a potential summer-long gig at another place on this same lake that is offering $900 weekend. free room and 1/2 price food. However it is not a "lock". We will be doing a "try-out" gig on May 21 If they like us, we will be one of a few bands for the summer at that resort. I discussed this with the band last night. I believe we're going to counter -offer (as suggested) with $350 (and that is not each as someone asked) free food, 2-nights back to back. We will add however that we won't commit to booking more than 30 days in advance so we leave open the opportunity of better paying gigs. We'll see what they counter with. We could decide To Hell with the whole thing.

• Members

Really?--that's your input for this? A whole list of well meaning,helpful opinions and then this.

If you usually get $450.00 and your willing to drop your price by a third then you deserve what you get. You should have some leverage since the bar owner needs to have entertainment for the tourists.

• Members

I wouldn't just because for each lower priced gig you do for him, that's one less you can do somewhere else at your regular rate.

But is one in the hand better than 2 in the bush?

Would you rather have 6 shows on the books for less money, or an open schedule IN CASE you can secure bookings... Only you can decide what's best knowing your market and the other venues you play.

Archived