First mixdown of new song -looking for feedback

• Members

Morning fellas -

Just got a copy of the first mix of a new song one of my bands recorded. Wanted to share and see if anyone has any feedback on the mix, recording or anything else.

I'm not crazy about the vocals, but they are there and will not be re-recorded, so it is what it is. I think the backing vocals (me) are too high in the mix.

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/2-fade.mp3

Thanks

• Members

I'm not crazy about the lead vocals... As far as the backing vox, you basically have the "Alice in chains" mix... So if that's what you're going for it's perfect. I personally like it but I don't know what you're going for. Otherwise, I think the verses and choruses need some sort of color from the lead guitar as the big wall of noise seems a little bland with the lead guitar dialed back.

• Members

It seems kinda dry, which can make it tough to get the "big" sound you're obviously going for. You should do something to the vocals so they play with space in the mix more.

On the background vocals, just one dry vocal line is not cutting it. Double it and/or add fun digital effects to it to make it sound like more people.

• Members

Thanks guys. I agree totally on all your vocal suggestions. I really think the singer should just redo the original lead track and sing more naturally. He tried to be overly 'gruff' in his performance and I think it detracts from the song.

Love the suggestion about the backing vocals too.

Archived