OT (Slightly, but not really): Independent Churches, Praise bands, and pay.....

New Trail

• Members

Some friends of mine play contemporary Christian music in some of the non-denomination churchs around here (and there are a LOT of them)! First of all, what's up with independent churches, anyway? And there's still PLENTY of denomination churches, too, and they all seem to be doing well. Also...when my friends play they don't get paid, but, if I'm asked to play/fill in should I feel funny that I think I should be paid? Or should I feel bad that I want to find excuses NOT to play since I'm not getting paid. If I was a member of the church it would be different, but I'm not. Since I'm pretty sure there won't be any pay not matter what, in theory should I be expected to sub for a band, ANY band, even a Christian band, and not get paid?

• Members

Some friends of mine play contemporary Christian music in some of the non-denomination churchs around here (and there are a LOT of them)! First of all, what's up with independent churches, anyway? And there's still PLENTY of denomination churches, too, and they all seem to be doing well. Also...when my friends play they don't get paid, but, if I'm asked to play/fill in should I feel funny that I think I should be paid? Or should I feel bad that I want to find excuses NOT to play since I'm not getting paid. If I was a member of the church it would be different, but I'm not. Since I'm pretty sure there won't be any pay not matter what, in theory should I be expected to sub for a band, ANY band, even a Christian band, and not get paid?

I would just tell them , that you dont turn free gigs and leave it at that. If you cant be honest with your friends you aint much of a friend. Its no big yank. They will find somebody to sit in and do the gig.

• Members

I was fill-in worship leader at a small church for about 5 years. I always got paid without asking. If I remember correctly it was $50 per service, 2 services per Sunday. I would have done it for free because I was a member but I took the money when offered.

Other churches for which I have info all pay fill-ins. The one down the street (also very small) pays $100 per service for fill-ins.

My personal take is a church member might want to volunteer for free but I wouldn't expect a non-member to play for free. No church I have first hand knowledge of would expect that.

Does an electrician work on a church for free?

And by the way, I got paid more for doing some janitorial work for that church than I made for leading the worship service.

• Members

I've played with them three times already, all for free, with mid-week rehearsals and rehearsal the morning of the service. I feel like I've done my part.

I'm not sure there's anything we can tell you.

If you want to do it, then do it. If not, then don't. I don't see any big issue either way.

Archived