"Starlight" by Muse?

• Members

So... I realized that the chord progression of Starlight for the verses and choruses is exactly the same as "Firework" by Katy Perry so instead of the planned U2 mashup I want to go with that one instead. My question is have any of you played it live? Muse isn't exactly obscure but they are a little hip-ish and I'm concerned that people won't know starlight as it's the "base" of the mashup

[video=youtube;Pgum6OT_VH8]

• Members

IMO the cool chicks will know it from those Twilight movies. And if the cool chicks know it, everyone else will pretend they do.

I've really started to dig that song and will probably make it one of my demos.

FWIW. I'll let those with actual experience say whether it works or not.

• Members

DO IT... even for a verse or two. I think it's popular enough and honestly it's the only Muse song we ever considered doing. I think you guys would kill it! U2 and Muse blend together perfectly and Katy Perry is like a left hook out of nowhere. Brilliant choice.

• Members

Do you have a female singer?

One of the guys in our band has been wanting to play this song forever, but don't know if he can get away with singing Katy Perry. That is a terrific idea though!

If he can hit the notes, I say go for it. California Girls maybe not, but Firework is not a particularly feminine song IMO.

• Members

If he can hit the notes, I say go for it. California Girls maybe not, but Firework is not a particularly feminine song IMO.

Yeah that's true. Not like he's singing Teenage Dream! :lol:

He doesn't have the highest range though so we'll have to see, or maybe change the key...

• Members

Hahah... I'm moving the whole thing to C so it will be C, Dm, Am, F for the entire song. I can do both songs in that key. It's a half-step up for muse and like 2 full steps down for KP

• Members

Every girl my age, 20, has seen twilight. No word of a lie haha. I saw muse in Toronto and they were THE best live band ive seen in the last five years or so. I love Starlight I think it'd kill with a younger crowd, especially mashed with a KT Perry song. BUT, only if you do it right. I know your band is sweet but all Im sayin is a Muse song played by a {censored}ty cover band is painful. Seen it done a few times. So yeah, just own it and youll be golden

• Members

Every girl my age, 20, has seen twilight. No word of a lie haha.

Oh no doubt. I know they've all SEEN it. Just seems to me the girls most into the whole Twilight thing are the little lonely wannabe Bellas who lie in bed with their Twilight books waiting for their own handsome immortal Edward to come save them from the drab existances.

But back OT---yeah. I do like the idea of mashing the song up with Fireworks. High vocal for a guy on that one though. Even IF taken down a couple of steps.

• Members

Oh no doubt. I know they've all SEEN it. Just seems to me the girls most into the whole Twilight thing are the little lonely wannabe Bellas who lie in bed with their Twilight books waiting for their own handsome immortal Edward to come save them from the drab existances.

But back OT---yeah. I do like the idea of mashing the song up with Fireworks. High vocal for a guy on that one though. Even IF taken down a couple of steps.

[video=youtube;K4uuGvmAxTI]

• Members

heheheh we cover California Gurls. We r dropping it soon but when it was new it was a big hit with our crowd. Now it is still OK but not a huge hit. As far as muse goes, I like the tune so I would say go for it!

• Members

Love that song, would love to do that one - it's just screaming for strobes :) Uprising goes over HUGE.

On the Twilight thing... we did Super Massive Black Hole and it was a turd (first Twilight movie during the baseball scene). We even linked it with the fact that my name is Edward Cullen (for real) and it was still a turd.

• Members

heheheh we cover California Gurls. We r dropping it soon but when it was new it was a big hit with our crowd. Now it is still OK but not a huge hit.

Of course we do it with a female lead, but that song still works really well for us. I think part of that is the type of gigs we do give a lot of songs longer legs than they might have in clubs and part of that is probably because we play so many gigs in California (and have real life California Gurls in the crowd! Yippie!)

I also thing that song will "bump up" again in the summer as it's such a summer-time tune.

• Members

Of course we do it with a female lead, but that song still works really well for us. I think part of that is the type of gigs we do give a lot of songs longer legs than they might have in clubs and part of that is probably because we play so many gigs in California (and have real life California Gurls in the crowd! Yippie!)

I also thing that song will "bump up" again in the summer as it's such a summer-time tune.

it still works but no where near as well as it did. In the summer when we started doing the song it went over HUGE with the crowd. Maybe it will bump back up when the warm weather arrives to stay here in PA.

• Members

Love that song, would love to do that one - it's just screaming for strobes
:)
Uprising goes over HUGE.

On the Twilight thing... we did Super Massive Black Hole and it was a turd (first Twilight movie during the baseball scene). We even linked it with the fact that my name is Edward Cullen (for real) and it was still a turd.

But let's be honest with ourselves, Ned - our version sort of sucked. :)

Brian V.

Archived