OT: outdoor adventures in the Smokies/ paddle faster, I hear banjos!

• Members

Anybody here into rafting, kayaking, hiking etc. in the Asheville/Gatlinburg area and further South? I am taking a trip to Wayneville, NC for a couple days next week and wonder what there is to get into. A couple years ago me and a buddy floated the Nantahala River Gorge and it was nice, although the water level was low and could have been a little more exciting.

I want a strenuous, demanding excursion (turning 50 soon and feel like I have something to prove). The closest thing to that I have done prior was a 12-mile solo canoe rip on the Spring River in ARK a few years back.

More specifically, has anyone floated the Chatooga (setting for "Deliverance")? On the last trip my friend and I stopped on our way back to look at the river- pretty awesome. Probably can't get on it this go-round, but it's in my future.

I don't really do that much outdoor-sy stuff but looking to change that. Anybody else?

• Members

I used to whitewater kayak the lower Southeastern US a lot 10-15 yrs ago.

Got out of the habit now, I'm old and stiff:)

Ive heard the French Broad is nice, how exciting depends on water level, but Ive never ran it.

I've seen it from the car & shore tho, and its very scenic.

Ive kayaked and canoed the Nana & Ocoee many times. Did two Kayak runs on Sec 3 of the Chatooga, and a guided raft trip on Sec 4.

The Ocoee is fun and much more exciting than the Nantahala but gets really crowded, same as the Nana.

If you survive an unguided raft trip on the Ocoee, then go for section 3 on the Chatooga.

Sec 4 of the Chatooga is a blast. Do a guided raft trip on section 4. Sec 4 can be very dangerous without a guide unless you really know what your doing.

• Members

OP, are you a novice, fair, or expert whitewater canoeist or kayaker, or a guided raft trip kinda person?

Be honest about your skill level, its easy to get hurt or drown without some experience.

That goes double if you don't know the river.

IF your gonna paddle your own boat, not a guided raft, then:

Nantahala II-III-novice to intermediate

Ocoee III+ intermediate to expert

Chattooga sec 3 III-IV-intermediate plus to expert

Chattooga sec 4 IV-V-expert only

The Hiawassee in SE TN is a nice scenic class I-II, suitable for the whole family, tubing or rank beginners.

One of the most exciting runs I ever did was the Tellico at pretty much full bank. Narrow, steep, and fast w/lotsa blind drops and chutes. (Near Tellico Plains TN(Cherokee Nat Forest) Took us all day to go 7-8 miles cause it was our first time on the river and we had to stop and scout a whole bunch to stay out of trouble.

• Members

Pine Apple, I'm intermediate at most. The Nantahala outfitters let my friend and I do section III (got out right before the closed-off thunderous actual gorge) in a 2-man "Duckie" without a guide, which would have been a waste. My friend wants us to just get in a guided raft on the most dangerous section of the Chatooga, and hold on for dear life. That may not be a good idea because, for all his gung-ho adventurousness, he is 50 lbs or so overweight and is about as athletic as an egg. I want to do as you suggest and work my way up to the more challenging (non-guided) runs- sounds like the Ocee III would be the next "rung" up the ladder. Your input is exactly what I was looking for and I thank you for it! :)

BTW are you in MS? I live in Jackson and drive up through the Delta (Drew, Cleveland etc.) every day for work.

• Members

Pine Apple, I'm intermediate at most. The Nantahala outfitters let my friend and I do section III (got out right before the closed-off thunderous actual gorge) in a 2-man "Duckie" without a guide, which would have been a waste. My friend wants us to just get in a guided raft on the most dangerous section of the Chatooga, and hold on for dear life. That may not be a good idea because, for all his gung-ho adventurousness, he is 50 lbs or so overweight and is about as athletic as an egg. I want to do as you suggest and work my way up to the more challenging (non-guided) runs- sounds like the Ocee III would be the next "rung" up the ladder. Your input is exactly what I was looking for and I thank you for it!
:)

BTW are you in MS? I live in Jackson and drive up through the Delta (Drew, Cleveland etc.) every day for work.

Then I recc a guided trip on the Ocoee next, or poss a duckie trip on the French Broad(talk to the outfitters about water level & challenging sections of the French Broad, and if the rent out duckies. All I know about that river is heresay, but from what I hear its not much tougher than then Nana at normal water levels).

The Ocoee on the weekends is like a ride at an amusement park in that its usually solid rafts bumper to bumper, but its still fun. You could prob handle it in a duckie by yourself w/out your friend, but you will have to bring your own boat. The outfitters do not rent out boats there, only guided trips. I would not try to paddle your dead weight bud down it yourself, because you most likely will go for a swim, and he could get in trouble. On a guided trip, if someone falls out, its not a big deal to scoop him back up, guides are used to that.

I highly recc an NOC guided trip on Chatooga sec IV. Yes its badass, but if you can get a group of 3-5 along w/an NOC guide, you'll be fine. One or two to paddle like hell and follow the guides instrctions is all thats necc to get you safely thru the hairy stuff. The rest can just hang on for dear life.

I live in north Alabama. I learned to paddle on the Locust and Mulberry Forks of the Black Warrior River north of Birmingham. These streams are class II and III. Only runnable in the winter and spring, or just after a huge rain in the summer. Summertime water levels are too low most of the time.

"thank God for Miss" is an old Alabama joke, sorry about that.

Archived