Booking A-List Clubs- What Not To Do...

• Members

It amazes me how often I see a band post directly on a public bulletin board, or Facebook Wall or Myspace comments encouraging a venue to contact THEM for bookings. In addition to appearing as desperate and lazy as possible (a normal person would pick up a phone, or send an email or private communication) to the venue and the general public, it's just poor form to ask or encourage a commitment of communication from another party you are soliciting. Whenever I visit the websites or Facebook pages of the clubs we're booked at invarible I find a multitude of the following posts left by bands:

R.I.P would like to play at XXXXXXXX. Please contact Pamela at XXXXXXX@gmail.com to set up a show date

(the same band)

R.I.P just played XXXX. Check them out on Facebook and please contact Pamela for a show date. Our calendar is filling up. Thanks!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XXXX XXXX is looking to rock XXXX Bar. Contact us for booking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How come you won't call us back... XXXX Band wants to play your venue. Call us at ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who do I contact about having my Band perform a Show at your venue ? Please send me the info as to who and a phone number please. Thank you !!! 3/15

(same band)

Craig, Whats the story buddy, ya gonna give us a gig at your venue ??? Can you PLEASE let me know ??? Thank you

(same band) 3/6

Did Craig receive my Band Press Kit I sent on Mar. 2nd ? Just checking on the status, please let me know if your interested as we are currently starting to book up quite fast now. Thanks, much appreciated !!! Best Regards, 2/28

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briing on the band XXXX... Awesome band! A must have at XXXX..... (left at 7:20am)

Briing on the band XXXX... Awesome band! A must have at XXXX..... (left at 10:30am)

Briing on the band XXXX... Awesome band! A must have at XXXX..... (left at 2:15pm)

Check out XXXXXX on www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com bring them to XXXXXX (the next day)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How about the band "XXXXXX" in your venue? positive points: great local following, powerhouse music, professionally executed with a great stage show and viable references...

whom do I contact personally to open up conversations? We are here on FB, Thanks!

January 14 at 1:09pm

Hey ! If you want to book a GREAT Band , go with these Guys ! XXXXXXXXXXX - WWW.Reverbnation.com/XXXXXXXXXX

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I noticed you dont have anything booked on February 19th, my funk/rock band,XXXXXX is trying to book that night......how would I go about booking with you guys?

These were all pulled off of Facebook walls. It never ceases to amaze me how some bands have no clue how to represent themselves.

Thoughts to ponder:

Putting people on the spot, cornering them or outing them in a public way to get a response....

Telling them your calendar is booking up fast (when you are in pursuit of them, not the other way around)...

Having friends or fanbase harass a venue into booking your band...

all great ways to get ignored.

• Members

Social media is such a great tool when used correctly, but it can also be very detrimental if used incorrectly. People tweet, post, etc WAY too often because it's so damn easy. I get so many invites to events its rediculous. People don't realize that even if your band is as good as you say, by beating a club owner in the head over and over they become numb, or worse resentful and angry. People need to learn how to be judicious in their use of posts, etc.

An example: I'm a member of a Baton Rouge Musicians page on FB and while most people are pretty good, some people a downright abusive. If you have 4 acoustic gigs this week, one post listing all 4 will suffice. 3 posts a day for each one, and I want to strangle you.

Same as what you described above.

In the end, the answer always is "act professionally". Would a professional behave the way you described above? Absolutely not. Therefore it's not appropriate.

Back to the social media thing, it's no different than that dude from the Steelers spouting off after Usama was announced dead. Something jumps into your head, no matter how innane and you can "tweet" or post it to the world before you've really had a chance to think about it. Then there's no turning back.

Sorry for ranting :D

• Members

Why wouldn't you at least send them a private message? Or at least not be so blatantly demanding?

"It was great talking to you the other night, thanks!"

"Thanks for the great show, you guys are the best!"

"Thanks for supporting live music."

I mean, suck up or something...

• Members

I see this too often in my neck of the woods. A former member did it once and I chewed him out for it. You don't want to be the band that has to chase venues, or be the band that is perceived is chasing venues to book. Do it behind the scenes however you want. But you are going to have to do some legwork, the gigs will not just fall in your lap (most times)

I always cringe. It does seem desparate. And I'm not sure how many of the bands that I've seen do it have gotten into any of the venues that they've done it to. I may have to so "research" at lunch.

Now we have had fans of ours post things like, You guys should get the Regulars in venue xxx. And I usually let that slide, because I didn't tell them to do it.

• Members

I see it a lot. One band recently spammed every place in my town that has a FB page. even some bars that don't have bands!

if I do send anything it's a carefully worded private message or email. sometimes I get some contact info sometimes not and then we go for there.

• Members

Plus, how do they expect to get booked with with band names like "XXXX" and "XXXXXX"???????

:D

lol

forget it, if there's more than one band that employs XXXX and XXXXXX I'll get confused and show up to the wrong venue!

• Members

I once told my old band's FB fans to post on the wall of a club until they called me about a booking for a festival gig...in 24hrs there were over 100 messages about the band on their page. They called and we got a gig. The gig turned out to not be very much fun, but it was still cool to have our fans score it for us.

It was a town-wide blues thing where all the clubs, bars, and such had blues bands the same night. It was a cool idea, but really just the regulars were there. Too many music options to stay put for very long.

• Members

Grant, are *any* of the bands you mentioned gigging regularly?

In rooms worth playing? No

It's all B-league... actually for most, more like C-league. But how do you expect to play in the A-league when you still present yourself as C-league?

• Members

Having friends or fanbase harass a venue into booking your band...

all great ways to get ignored.

Disagree with this one. Agree whole heartedly with everything else!!! (Depending on what is meant by "harass" - because having your fans ask a venue about your band can ABSOLUTELY work in your favour).

• Members

Disagree with this one. Agree whole heartedly with everything else!!! (Depending on what is meant by "harass" - because having your fans ask a venue about your band can ABSOLUTELY work in your favour).

I guess it depends on what makes up those 'fans'? Let's say your fans are the type to frequent the club you want to gain entry in. Then it may be worthwhile. However if your attempting to get into a chic dance club that caters to a college crowd and your fans consist mainly of middle aged lesbians who look like a high school football coach on a three day binge at Woodstock and are boasting they spend their weekend's in a pool league... um no. ;)

Archived