Anyone dealt with anything like this?

• Members

So tonight.. we played a club where we've had... "issues" in the past. The manager is a friendly guy, and I like him.. but he has this habit of saying "oh, we're having a rough night, can you work with me" and trying to end the bands early if the crowd is slow. To his credit, he did throw us a bit extra on one gig AFTER that where we did "work with him". We've been a little flexible with him, largely because we were doing some full band Wednesdays, and wanted to keep that work. We'd pretty much made the decision that the next time is the last time, however.

Anyways.. tonight, I got to the gig kinda waiting for the shoe to drop. This is our first time in there with our new bassist (who's picked stuff up great, but is obviously a different guy), and with our new PA (the old bassist's 4000 watt PA to my 2 300 Watt subs and 250 Watt tops). We've done about five shows with the new bassist and PA, and it's been going well, but still.. these are excuses people sometimes use. We set up, sound check, and play the first set, to a slow room, maybe 40-60 people in a room that holds around 500. After the first set, the manager comes over. He wants to order the UFC fight (around maybe 10:30), and doesn't want us to play until it's over (although he still has us play the break music over the PA). We do this.. moaning to ourselves about how the night will end, and watching a lot of the people who'd come to see a band (not necessarily OUR band) play just leave.

Finally, a little after midnight, we go back up and play straight through.. and we pretty much nailed it. Managed to draw in a very timid crowd and get them to dance, party, sing along, request songs... and really have a good time. By the end of the night, there were a ton of people there, and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

At the end of the night, I go to get paid.... and the manager pays me in full, no issues!

All of this is AFTER a great gig on Friday night, where not only did we entertain the bar's patrons, but we actually brought a sizable crowd on our own. And all this after transitioning to a new bassist and a, basically, bare bones PA system! It's just awesome to know that SOMETIMES.. things work out okay after all!

Oh yeah.. my question. Sorry, I ramble. But anyway... have any of you ever had something like that? Where you stopped in the middle of a gig, basically unannounced, for a UFC fight, football game, or something similar? Why even stop us if we still had the break music going? Experiences with stuff like that?

• Members

I've seen it done to a friends band one time. Here in central Ky, a UK basketball game takes precedent over everything. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a terrorist attack and a UK basketball game was still on the air let alone a band play.

• Members

So tonight.. we played a club where we've had... "issues" in the past. The manager is a friendly guy, and I like him.. but he has this habit of saying "oh, we're having a rough night, can you work with me" and trying to end the bands early if the crowd is slow. To his credit, he did throw us a bit extra on one gig AFTER that where we did "work with him". We've been a little flexible with him, largely because we were doing some full band Wednesdays, and wanted to keep that work. We'd pretty much made the decision that the next time is the last time, however.

Anyways.. tonight, I got to the gig kinda waiting for the shoe to drop. This is our first time in there with our new bassist (who's picked stuff up great, but is obviously a different guy), and with our new PA (the old bassist's 4000 watt PA to my 2 300 Watt subs and 250 Watt tops). We've done about five shows with the new bassist and PA, and it's been going well, but still.. these are excuses people sometimes use. We set up, sound check, and play the first set, to a slow room, maybe 40-60 people in a room that holds around 500. After the first set, the manager comes over. He wants to order the UFC fight (around maybe 10:30), and doesn't want us to play until it's over (although he still has us play the break music over the PA). We do this.. moaning to ourselves about how the night will end, and watching a lot of the people who'd come to see a band (not necessarily OUR band) play just leave.

Finally, a little after midnight, we go back up and play straight through.. and we pretty much nailed it. Managed to draw in a very timid crowd and get them to dance, party, sing along, request songs... and really have a good time. By the end of the night, there were a ton of people there, and they seemed to enjoy themselves.

At the end of the night, I go to get paid.... and the manager pays me in full, no issues!

All of this is AFTER a great gig on Friday night, where not only did we entertain the bar's patrons, but we actually brought a sizable crowd on our own. And all this after transitioning to a new bassist and a, basically, bare bones PA system! It's just awesome to know that SOMETIMES.. things work out okay after all!

Oh yeah.. my question. Sorry, I ramble. But anyway... have any of you ever had something like that? Where you stopped in the middle of a gig, basically unannounced, for a UFC fight, football game, or something similar? Why even stop us if we still had the break music going? Experiences with stuff like that?

To answer the question... sure, we've delayed sets even cut set shorts to accommodate a sporting event (like the World Series). Those events are rare however and I think if it were in the case that we didn't bring many people to the room we would accommodate. If we had packed the place then I think we would probably protest a bit unless it was explained prior to that date and it's something we would promote of communicate in band updates. I really wouldn't see it happening unless it was a special event. If the bar was packed and people started leaving in droves after the event was turned on then we might question playing there again. But this place sounds like they were just trying to please some UFC fans without turning away the band crowd.

The guy sounds like he's willing to work with you guys. I would make any deal with a barowner who bonuses on good nights. :thu:

• Members

I've seen it done to a friends band one time. Here in central Ky, a UK basketball game takes precedent over everything. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a terrorist attack and a UK basketball game was still on the air let alone a band play.

QFT. I used to live in Richmond. I've waited out a ball game or two in my time.

• Members

yeah, it happens. I did a happy hour gig last saturday and a group of 25 or so guys showed up to watch the Dallas/Portland basketball game and the manager asked me what I wanted to do and I knew the bar would lose money if I played so I just went home. But they paid me about half of what I would have made so it was fair on all sides.

• Members

He asked you to stop playing and then WAIT AROUND for the UFC fight to air/end before resuming playing, and it surprises you that you got paid in full when all was said and done?

In other words, you met your end of the arrangement, and he changed his, and somewhere along the way, you expected not to get the full amount?

I can maybe understand accepting a cut for a slow night IF you want to keep repeated bookings at a venue, but I can not conceive of why you wouldn't have expected full pay.

• Members

He asked you to stop playing and then WAIT AROUND for the UFC fight to air/end before resuming playing, and it surprises you that you got paid in full when all was said and done?

In other words, you met your end of the arrangement, and he changed his, and somewhere along the way, you expected
not
to get the full amount?

I can maybe understand accepting a cut for a slow night IF you want to keep repeated bookings at a venue, but I can not conceive of why you wouldn't have expected full pay.

I mean, I planned on getting paid for what we agreed on.. but I also know that the guy has a little bit of a rep around town for trying to cut pay and such. He was totally a man of his word though, so I can't complain!

• Members

Anyone dealt with anything like this?

Ya sure...I've been pre-empted and post-empted by sporting events and the like...

But the most memorable time happened in the mid 90s...

The bar band I was in (east coast) was halfway through our first set.

We notice EVERYONE in the bar watching the TV.

So I ask over the PA --- "hey what's going on? Do you want us to stop?"

The bar owner comes over and spills the beans...

It was OJ Simpson making his getaway!

My band was secondary to OJ making his run! I still laugh about it to this day!

• Members

HA.

We've done the UFC thing, a few times... you just hang out and wait and end up playing half of what you would have.

Once in Kansas City the bar stopped us when American Idol announced David Cook (who is from KC) as that year's winner.

Go figure.

• Members

I wouldnt mind at all. As long as you get paid.

One trick is to position the band under the big screen or tv so that when the crowd cheers fore the tv you can pretend they are cheering you. Everyones happy.

• Members

Yeah, we've been asked to put off our start or take an extended break for various reasons, a few sporting events, etc. Hurricanes' games & ACC basketball are the most frequent reasons. One restaurant bar will put us off for 20-30 minutes occasionally when they are slammed with dinner patrons.

If we're booked from 9 to 1 and the manager asks us to not play from 10:30 - 11:30, I tell him "no problem but we're still done at 1." I don't mind getting paid to drink beer but I won't cool my heels for an hour for nothing.

My favorite was at a new place, when we were asked to postpone our start because "the guys at the bar want to watch the Hurricanes game."

"We can play at low volume."

"No, they want to hear the game."

"Well, ok."

Then we stood there for an hour while they watched the game with the sound off and the jukebox playing loudly. :confused: We didn't pursue any more business there.

Context: We're an acoustic duo.

• Members

Around here, whenever tribute bands perform at the local rock club, it's usually on a night when there is hockey going on. And hockey is HUGE in this town. So the band's performance is listed as starting at "whenever the hockey game gets out." My wife and I got to the club at 7:30 one time (doors opened at 7:00). The band didn't start until 10:45! That sucked, but they rocked, so that made up for it.

Ironically enough, it was for a Guns N' Roses tribute band, so I simply pretended it was the real Guns N' Rose with Axl being Axl. :D

One trick is to position the band under the big screen or tv so that when the crowd cheers fore the tv you can pretend they are cheering you. Everyones happy.

:facepalm: This is so wrong on so many levels.

But at the same time, hilarious!

• Members

I played a gig a few months ago where we were told we couldn't start until the NASCAR race was over.

This lasted for about 45 minutes.

I'm pretty sure that I and the other band members didn't endear ourselves to the crowd as we sat at the bar shouting "TURN LEFT! TURN LEFT!" at the TV screen.

• Members

Last year a band in Montreal played the same night as the Canadiens during the playoffs. The managers of the room put a giant screen, so people could finish the game. The game ended, with Canadiens winning, and while people cheered for the hockey team, the band came on stage, triumphantly.

The band was

Them Crooked Vultures

, and for those who were there, it was a pretty kick-ass moment, because the timing was just perfect.

It goes to show that even pros will accomodate the room for a sporting event.

• Members

One year when the Olympics were on, we paused at a gig long enough to watch Phelps win the gold. We then kicked into a rousing rendition of the Star Spangled Banner and continued on with our set.

• Members

I was playing a nice blues venue right before Xmas last year. It was our first time at the club, the money sucked, no comps, and the only people there were the 20 or so we brought. Before our last set a group of very drunk horn players come in to do carols. The owner insists we stop and give them the stage for ONE song. We do. Half an hour later, the club is empty and the drunks are still blowing.

We finally get back on and finish the night playing to the staff...while the trumpet player is sitting in the audience playing along to everything we are doing. We get paid in full. I contact him about a return gig and he instantly starts complaining about how slow it was at the end of the night and how they lost money on us. I immediately remind him of the circumstances and he offers us a date for $50 more than the first one.

***Had the opposite issue after last gig...full house the night before Easter and I am told the next week it was dead and it was our fault for taking too long of set breaks. I instantly call him out as 1.) it was packed 2.) our break music is timed and we are back on in under 30min - and I have a recording of the show to prove it.

He says he might have gotten bad information. I check further into the club and find out this is the norm and their way of getting bands to play for less. I email him back saying we'd still do a booking if the cost was the same. I never here from him again. He was obviously hoping we were desparate enough to take a pay cut.

I confirmed this routine with yet another band and then let our booking agent know about the issue (he didn't book us there, but I felt it was important to spread the word at least a little bit as I didn't want one of his other bands getting in there, getting the same schtick, and then having the agency get pissed at the band for something that isn't their fault).

• Members

We had a show back 1994 on the night of the OJ chase. It was a pretty big gig for us, we were all amped to get onstage, then the chase happened. We watched TV for 2 1/2 hours until it was over, then went on. Turned out to be a really good night in the end.

Archived