Awesome gig this weekend!!! Played until 4:30am!!!

• Members

There's something in the area called Spring Breakup. In the bush, there are roads they can use in the winter, because it's frozen solid, but in the summer you can't drive on them. The summer roads are all dirt, and they are too soft to drive heavy machinery over in the spring, so there's about a 6 week layoff for a lot of people, while this all dries up.

This one oilfield company has a Spring breakup party every year for it's employees, pig roast, smoked turkey, band etc etc. Free booze. Basically 3 kiddie pools filled with ice, water, beer and coolers. Takes place at a local rodeo grounds that they rent. Ideal setup, most of the people camp, and there's free cabs all night for the rest. We were invited to the meal, and it was free booze all night as well.

Great stage, enough power, ran a propane heater at the side of the stage. The only strange thing is that te dancefloor is to the side and there's big picnic tables right in front of the stage.

We started playing at 9pm, there weren't a lot of people at first, until about the last 4 songs. Since people started arriving and dancing we ended up playing until 10:30 - 10:45ish. Took a break, back on at 11ish, now the place was hopping pretty good and played until about 12:15, long sets, fun songs, did everything from country to rock.

At the end of the second set, we were approached by some guys who used to play for the gig, basically kind of a unorganized jam before, so we let them use our instruments, and they did a few songs.

Then we got up again around 1ish and gaver until 2am, until we all had to break to take a piss break. Lol we would ask for more beer while playing and people would come by and drop some off at the stage. Did't get hammered but had a beer going most of the night. Last set, Called some hotties on stage to help out with Mustang Sally, one was one of the organizers and we gave her a tamborine. We decided she needed a song with a tambourine solo so on the spot, we figured out Walk like an Egyptian, haha the place went nuts.

We were pulling songs out of our asses by the end of the night, Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Time Warp, you name it. Everyone danced on the picnic tables, it was fun to watch, no one fell off thank god.

3am hits, and theres about 15 people left, we say "ok that's it" they keep chanting "more, more, more" the manager for a different oil company was talking to the keyboard players husband he said "tell them to keep playing" the husband says "Money Talks man" the manager said "we'll cut them a check to keep going" the husband said "nah man, it's all about the cash" some everyone chipped in and gave us another $250. So we continued on until 4, then finally at 4:30 we had to throw in the towel, just exhausted, drunk, tired.

They were like "more, more, more" I was like "ok man, we are done haha that's it" they were like "more, more, more" I was like "Jesus, it's getting light out" we were just too tired to continue.

It was one of the best gigs I've ever done, we are booked for next year, and we decided to up our price from $1000/night to $1500/night. These big companies don't even blink at a grand, we put on a good show, great sound, it's a lot of work, and they've been at $1000 for a couple years, so ya, new price!!

God damn it was a great night!!! Probably my new favorite venue. We are going to try to convince other people to use the area as well. Some outdoor gigs have huge tents, or this big stage on a trailer. This place is ideal!!

:love:

• Members

Wow, man, congrats! That sounds like an epic success og a gig! Very nice to hear, and congrats to you and your band!

And especially your drummer - that's a long time to keep playing!!!

• Members

Yeah, we were all pretty much ready to drop by the end, he's a pretty aggressive drummer (his nickname is Bam Bam) I was tired, but a really good tired, it was a great night. Some of the songs weren't bang on, as were were just pulling them out of the air at the end, but we ended with a few that we always really nail, for the big finish!!

:love:

• Members

I live in town where it's common practice with a few bars that have a 5am liquor license so you better have a long set list if you don't wanna share the bill with another band, and not many bands around that can cover the whole night alone from 9pm to 4am. Usually they hire 2 bands a night but there's a few bands like the one I use to be in could cover the whole gig without repeating songs. Unfortunately our drummer left because he got a job working weekends on second shift.

Still never have recouped from his departure.

Archived