Holy crap! It's Cinco de Mayo!!!

• Members

And we're playing a show tonight. I have NO IDEA what we should be doing "in honor of" the holiday. We're bringing the usual beads, etc., but half of the other things I can think of would probably just end up offending someone. Or not. I have no idea! :idk:

What do you guys do?

• Members

We're not playing it this year. Last year was a bust. We were at an Irish bar on a Wednesday so that probably didn't help.

sombreros and mustaches et al would be cool. Maybe play some la bamba and gloria estefan on the break music?

• Members

We're not playing it this year. Last year was a bust. We were at an Irish bar on a Wednesday so that probably didn't help.

sombreros and mustaches et al would be cool. Maybe play some la bamba and gloria estefan on the break music?

We played La Bamba... It was a great gig for us last year but we are playing a very well paying gig tomorrow which could lead to other similar gigs so we took tonight off in order to insure a better show tomorrow.

• Members

We played La Bamba... It was a great gig for us last year but we are playing a very well paying gig tomorrow which could lead to other similar gigs so we took tonight off in order to insure a better show tomorrow.

I would suspect it's a bigger holiday in TX than in RI as well.

• Members

• Members

we wore sombreros, panchos, mustaches and hung up a Jonas Brothers pinata last year. It was epic.

No one viewed that as offensive stereotyping?

I probably shouldn't worry... it's at the beach where there isn't a heavy Hispanic population like there is inland.

• Members

I probably shouldn't worry... it's at the beach where there isn't a heavy Hispanic population like there is inland.

Latinos are really easy going and like to have a good time. They just dont have things set on a racial hair trigger. But then I live in a place where 8 out of 10 people are latino.

• Members

nah... it's difficult to describe but my band has a 'personality' which comes across pretty clearly when we do shows and its abundantly clear that we're not doing anything in an offensive manner. There are tons of hispanics in Austin and no one has ever said anything at our Cinco De Mayo shows.

• Members

I authorize all of you to copy what I did once:

I used to work for a friend's original band. They were relatively popular in Chicago for a while, and through a series of unplanned circumstances I ended up being basically their Flavor Flav-meets-The Time's Jerome and appearing on stage with them at every gig, playing gong on a number of songs (Don't ask)...

I was known pretty well from doing that to the point that people expected "The Gong Guy" as part of the show.

Thing to keep in mind is The Gong Guy DID NOT speak a word at all.

Ever...

So anyway, one year they played a big Cinco de Mayo gig. At the last minute, I worked up about a 3-4 minute intro for the show, mentioning the opening bands and pimping my friend's upcoming CD release, etc.

Before the gig started, I came on stage to a single spot and proceeded to lay out this intro entirely in Spanish using my very best Telemundo announcer voice. When I did my Spanglish translations of the band names, I thought everyone was going to keel over from laughter.

You all need to brush up on your Spanish and introduce your shows, band members, songs, etc. using that kind of voice tonight.

ALL.

NIGHT.

LONG.

• Members

I authorize all of you to copy what I did once:

I used to work for a friend's original band. They were relatively popular in Chicago for a while, and through a series of unplanned circumstances I ended up being basically their Flavor Flav-meets-The Time's Jerome and appearing on stage with them at every gig, playing gong on a number of songs (Don't ask)...

I was known pretty well from doing that to the point that people expected "The Gong Guy" as part of the show.

Thing to keep in mind is The Gong Guy DID NOT speak a word at all.

Ever...

So anyway, one year they played a big Cinco de Mayo gig. At the last minute, I worked up about a 3-4 minute intro for the show, mentioning the opening bands and pimping my friend's upcoming CD release, etc.

Before the gig started, I came on stage to a single spot and proceeded to lay out this intro
entirely in Spanish
using my very best Telemundo announcer voice. When I did my Spanglish translations of the band names, I thought everyone was going to keel over from laughter.

You all need to brush up on your Spanish and introduce your shows, band members, songs, etc. using that kind of voice tonight.

ALL.

NIGHT.

LONG.

Crap. I probably could have done that had I planned it out. My Spanish isn't exactly on point (it's been years).

Maybe next year. Or maybe not based on last night's turnout.

• Members

And now it's gripe time...

Our bass player got a phone call from the bar manager yesterday afternoon, asking if we had our feedback problems fixed (bad FOH speaker placement) and that he wasn't sold on us yet, so we were going to have to make sure that everything went off without a hitch. He also wanted us to keep our volume low because we were too loud last time (this was news to us). Now, this was around 1:00 in the afternoon on the day of the gig. I'm not sure why he waited until the last minute to voice his concerns, especially since two of had spoken to him since we last played there. :idk:

Anyhow, we all showed up on time for load-in except for our drummer - who was an hour and a half late again. Everything was set up and we had line levels set up before he came strolling in. Then we had to move everything to accommodate his kit and finally got to do our 8:00 sound check at 9:15 (for a 9:30 start). Guess what - there were sound/feedback problems and now the bar was full of people that had to put up with it. During the first set, we were asked to turn down so the loudest thing in the room was the drums and stayed that way through the night. They were not happy and let me know at the end of the night.

So we probably blew our chance for any more dates at that venue. The good news is that we had a LOT of people wanting business cards and such, so hopefully we gained a few more fans in the region.

We all have day jobs (except our drummer), and we're all dragging at work today - totally not worth it. Funny... taking the gig seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yes, I'm a little bitchy today. :freak:

• Members

Then we had to move everything to accommodate his kit and finally got to do our 8:00 sound check at 9:15 (for a 9:30 start). Guess what - there were sound/feedback problems and now the bar was full of people that had to put up with it.

This has happened to us in the past more than a few times and it used to drive me insane! :mad:

During the first set, we were asked to turn down so the loudest thing in the room was the drums and stayed that way through the night. They were not happy and let me know at the end of the night.

Vdrums man... vdrums. :thu:

BTW start telling the drummer sound check is at 6:30pm so he will be there by 8! :lol:

Sorry to hear it wasn't a good gig.

• Members

Vdrums man... vdrums.
:thu:

BTW start telling the drummer sound check is at 6:30pm so he will be there by 8!
:lol:

1) Re vDrums: ...not necessary. Just play at places that recognize DRUMS MAKE NOISE...I'm not for bashing when it's not warranted, believe me. But...drums make sounds, and if a venue can't handle a drumset being of a certain level (and your drummer can't play without killing the kit...) then it's time to find new venues or a new drummer.

2) Re telling the drummer soundcheck is earlier than it it: ...again, not necessary. Just play with a drummer that is capable of making soundcheck at the prescribed time instead of a total flake. You shouldn't care what the reason he's late, either, if he didn't alert you he would be late, and by so much, in the first place.

You've mentioned this before, so it wasn't a one-time deal, and it's not like you're talking about a "traffic was amazingly {censored}ty" or "I got out of the office a bit later than planned" 15-30 minute difference in when he arrives; 90 minutes late would be a deal breaker for me when it's a regular thing. Either (a) accept he'll always be late (but get him to communicate CLEARLY what time he will arrive and make sure he sticks to that), (b) get him to somehow change his behavior and show up on time with the rest of you or © fire his ass. It may not be something you LIKE deciding, but it's an incredibly SIMPLE situation to deal with when you look at the potential options avalable...Door #1, #2 or #3.

• Members

This has happened to us in the past more than a few times and it used to drive me insane!
:mad:

Vdrums man... vdrums.

BTW start telling the drummer sound check is at 6:30pm so he will be there by 8!
:lol:

Sorry to hear it wasn't a good gig.

We tried the V-drums once. That was a disaster. He brought his own PA system to use side-by-side with our PA so he could control his drum volume. It sounded like crap out front. His snare was way too loud (and piercing) but he wouldn't adjust it because he couldn't hear it. We're not going down that road again - at least not with him.

And a 6:30 sound check would still mean that he would show up an hour before showtime.

• Members

We tried the V-drums once. That was a disaster.
He brought his own PA system to use side-by-side with our PA so he could control his drum volume

How'd that go with him drumming from the audience? You know, because how in the hell could he tell what it sounded like anywhere else but there?

• Members

You've mentioned this before, so it wasn't a one-time deal, and it's not like you're talking about a "traffic was amazingly {censored}ty" or "I got out of the office a bit later than planned" 15-30 minute difference in when he arrives; 90 minutes late would be a deal breaker for me when it's a regular thing. Either (a) accept he'll always be late (but get him to communicate CLEARLY what time he
will
arrive and make sure he sticks to that), (b) get him to somehow change his behavior and show up on time with the rest of you or (c) fire his ass. It may not be something you LIKE deciding, but it's an incredibly SIMPLE situation to deal with when you look at the potential options available...Door #1, #2 or #3.

Yeah, but door #3 puts us in quite a predicament. I have no idea where we'd find a replacement. Drummers are very scarce around here. Good drummers are even more scarce.

He lives about 25 minutes from the venue. It was an hour and a half trip for me and I was early. I don't know what his deal is, but I grew weary of it months ago. When our current drummer quit in January I had two replacements lined up (hey - when you quit, you quit). No one else wanted to learn a new drummer so they talked him into coming back. Now I'm just removing myself from the situation by going with the flow. It's what they wanted, so it's what they get.

There is another local band (friends of ours and a really good band) that now needs a drummer, but have repeatedly stated that they won't take a drummer from a working band (they are cool like that). Someone suggested that our drummer may be trying to get fired so he can hook up with that other band. But that is purely speculation. :idk:

• Members

And now it's gripe time...

Our bass player got a phone call from the bar manager yesterday afternoon, asking if we had our feedback problems fixed (bad FOH speaker placement) and that he wasn't sold on us yet, so we were going to have to make sure that everything went off without a hitch. He also wanted us to keep our volume low because we were too loud last time (this was news to us). Now, this was around 1:00 in the afternoon on the day of the gig. I'm not sure why he waited until the last minute to voice his concerns, especially since two of had spoken to him since we last played there.
:idk:

Anyhow, we all showed up on time for load-in except for our drummer - who was an hour and a half late again. Everything was set up and we had line levels set up before he came strolling in. Then we had to move everything to accommodate his kit and finally got to do our 8:00 sound check at 9:15 (for a 9:30 start). Guess what - there were sound/feedback problems and now the bar was full of people that had to put up with it. During the first set, we were asked to turn down so the loudest thing in the room was the drums and stayed that way through the night. They were not happy and let me know at the end of the night.

So we probably blew our chance for any more dates at that venue. The good news is that we had a LOT of people wanting business cards and such, so hopefully we gained a few more fans in the region.

We all have day jobs (except our drummer), and we're all dragging at work today - totally not worth it. Funny... taking the gig seemed like a good idea at the time.

Yes, I'm a little bitchy today.
:freak:

Weekday gigs really blow, unless the general public has the next day off or it's a venue that is a destination for live entertainment. I personally wouldn't book a weekday Cinco De Mayo gig because the real action happens between 5pm -10pm... more like an extended Happy Hour. But that's just from years of doing these gigs. 7 years ago... yup, we probably would have taken it.

So I'm curious... this is the Ocean City venue? Do they have bands... ever? It doesn't sound like they can support much more than an acoustic act. How large is the capacity? Some rooms are just tough to manage sound in. Last Saturday I went to go see a friends band perform at a small room we used to play in. The backline was decent but the PA volume was blistering. Even 20ft away it was impossible to have a conversation. It was more EQ really then volume. Such hairy high end and mid-range freq that was blistering. Sometimes people percieve harsh frequency for high volume. Hope you can keep the room if it's worth it.

Does your drummer let you know in advance that he is going to be late. As in the moment you take the gig or even the Tuesday before (I have a conflict I can't get out of, but I'll get there as soon as I can)? Or does he leave you hanging until he finally shows and spits out a lame excuse. If that's the case a sit down is in order.

• Members

Vdrums man... vdrums.

Our drummer has both an electric and an acoustic set. We just used the electric kit at a smaller venue for the first time. WOW what a difference. At the bigger places we play, he'll still bring the acoustic, but for smaller clubs, the electric set is fantastic. It's also great for practice.

• Members

Our drummer has both an electric and an acoustic set. We just used the electric kit at a smaller venue for the first time. WOW what a difference. At the bigger places we play, he'll still bring the acoustic, but for smaller clubs, the electric set is fantastic. It's also great for practice.

I haven't used my Ludwig Kit at a gig in 8+ years.

• Members

We tried the V-drums once. That was a disaster. He brought his own PA system to use side-by-side with our PA so he could control his drum volume. It sounded like crap out front. His snare was way too loud (and piercing) but he wouldn't adjust it because he couldn't hear it. We're not going down that road again - at least not with him.

Oops... I Forgot about that. I saw pics and he has a nice set too. I get great sounds from my TD-8 so when I see someone with a better/newer module than me still sounding crappy through the PA I want to scream!

I just don't understand, especially nowadays- there are custom kits you can buy from Vexpressions and so much info online to program your own... :idk:

• Members

I'd love for my drummer to get an electric set. Not because of volume, but for versatility in different sounds. His objection is he already has too much to set up with the PA, and I can understand that. But I keep working on him! We've been talking about going all IEMs and no amps on stage, and the electric drums would fit in perfectly with that setup.

• Members

Has your drummer ever used inner ear monitors with his rolands? Some simple routing in his module and he can have his own mix. He can't get a different mix of the drums, but can have his drums much louder than the incoming mix. Being late..., just take him out back an beat him.

Archived