Help! Backline provided = unfamiliar keyboard!

jamieb

• Members

Hey,

Well, after surviving the HORRIBLE weather last week, we are playing a(nother) bbq festival, this time almost at home (for me) in Huntsville, AL. The WhistleStop Festival. We will play at 6 p.m. Central Time TONIGHT. I have learned that backline will be provided, including a Yamaha Motif for me. (I'm not sure of the series).

I will be bringing the Hammond XK-3C for organ stuff, but I need to know some of the better patches on these boards, as I will only have about 20 minutes total to get set up and familiarize myself with the instrument.

I need a good acoustic piano, (slightly) dirty Wurly, a good (not Dyno-ed) Rhodes, an analog string/ambient patch, and a "wah" Clavinet.

If anybody has any suggestions/preferences, let me know. Please include whether it's MO, ES, or whatever. I'm only at work for the next couple of hours, so the quicker the responses, the easier I can breathe.

Oh, I think they've changed the beneficiary of the program from The Earlyworks Children's Museum to some of the tornado relief programs. And, from what I've seen, it's needed. Rainsville, AL, where I rehearse with Leah's band, was hit pretty hard. That county (DeKalb) had the second-highest death toll in the state. (Watch some of the YouTube videos of Rainsville's storm). Probably 1/2-3/4 mile from our rehearsal space, as the crow (or, in this case, tornado) flies...

Thanks in advance,

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Can you simply bring your board, and exchange it for your show? Shouldn't take more than a moment or two to unplug theirs, stand it up behind you, and pop yours on the stand, change the pedals, the electric plug should be the same, as are the outs.

I have done that numerous times. Only one time did someone complain, I just told him that like harmonica players, I only play my instrument, or in this case, one just like it.

• Members

I agree, if the backlined keys are run through a DI it would be really simole to just pop the line into yours. My suggestion is to be there way ahead of time to check everything out. Then talk to the soundman and ask him if it'd be cool with him if you did that. If you give him plenty of a heads up he probably won't mind. The early heads up is also the proper time to tell him you need another kz line run.

• Members

I agree, if the backlined keys are run through a DI it would be really simole to just pop the line into yours. My suggestion is to be there way ahead of time to check everything out. Then talk to the soundman and ask him if it'd be cool with him if you did that. If you give him plenty of a heads up he probably won't mind. The early heads up is also the proper time to tell him you need another kz line run.

They have an early slot,, so getting what he wants as far as using his own board should be pretty easy. The sound guys and the stage guys are there to make things run smooth and to have a good show. The board on stage is prolly there because some one has it in their contract that that board be on stage, not to force a band to use it if they have keys.

The last festival we played , the back ground was provided including amps. Our lead player used his combo amp instead of the half stack on stage. The bass player went through the backline amp. Myself and the rhythm player went direct to a DI box.

• Members

So how did the gig go? I don't play keys, but I do have a motif es. I love the grand piano sounds, I don't know how the other sounds stack up to the "real thing" but most of the ones I have tried sound pretty good to me.

• Members

I used to own a Motif and think they do a good job on the sounds Jamie mentioned- I used Power Grand, '74 Rhodes (can easily disable tremolo),Wurlitrm or Wurliamp and Clav Wah. I don't remember a specific ambient patch but I was always looking for one that nailed what I call the Angelic Nashville Choir sound (the Angelic Nashville Choir evidently went into retirement at about the same time as the animated dancing pigs on Hee Haw).

It's been a long time since I had backline provided on a gig, but if it happens I'll be ready. I'll just find a place to park my Nord Electro II module and use whatever keyboard provided just as a controller.

RE bad weather in Alabama, it cut short my vacation trip to the Smokies. I drove through Alabama to get back to MS on the 27th and holed up at a truck stop outside Birmingham while the storm tore through Tuscaloosa. Going through Tuscaloosa right before dusk, I didn't see the devastation- but just outside of town there were lots of trees blown down onto I-20 and within a quarter mile were 3 18-wheelers on their side. There were also several tornados in MS and one of them uprooted some big trees in my bandmates yard in Philadelphia, MS- but didn't damage his house with his family inside, thank God.

• Members

The gig ended up going pretty well:

(A little backstory might help to clear things up.)

In the Leah gig, the entire keyboard rig is provided for me. So it stays at the rehearsal space when it's not on the trailer going to and from gigs.

For this gig, the entire backline was provided, except for guitar amps. The guitarists brought their small (like a 1-10 each) amps, so there was no need for the trailer. The van only had some merch, and the XK-3C. Also, we only had like a 20-minute set-change allotment.

I live over an hour away from the practice building, and was about a half-hour/45 minutes further away at work. (As I may have mentioned, it was our first day back since the storms, so I couldn't in good conscience leave early). I searched around on the 'net, and finally found some .pdf files with the patch listings of some of the Motif series instruments. I scribbled down the ranges of each category on post-it notes, and stuck them in my wallet. I work about 10 minutes from the site for WhistleStop, so I went pretty much straight there.

Anyway, Maurey, our sound engineer, has some experience with the Motif, so when we got it set up, he helped me adjust the contrast so I could sort-of see it. (The stage was facing the evening sun!) I got a copy of the setlist for the show, and wrote down the corresponding settings beside each song. Told the drummer that I might need an extra few seconds to get set up, so it was good to go.

Wasn't really used to the action on the Motif. Seemed a little more "shallow" than I'm used to, if that makes sense. (The SV-1 seems to have a deeper keybed.) And I couldn't figure out how to get tremolo on the Wurly patch.

Liked the board, though. If/when I ever (FINALLY) upgrade from that old PC-88MX I use for the 12MN shows, I'd seriously consider a Motif.

Can't remember the name of the sound company (they were local) but it was yet another great-sounding FOH! That's three in a row for us! Stage crew was fantastic! Wish we'd had a later set, because the crowd really picked up by the time the headline acts hit the stage.

@W2D, Tuscaloosa is pretty horrible. But Hackleburg and Phil Campbell in east Limestone County are pretty much GONE!

Thanks for the input, folks!

jamieb

+++++

Archived