Bassist Wants to Play Freebird

JR13

• Members

What's wrong with Freebird???

I always yell Freebird when I see a band play :facepalm:

Maybe make a compromise. Try it in a different style. And if it doesn't fly (forgive the pun) then drop it. My old acoustic group did Stairway to Heaven in an upbeat jazzy style and it got great response everywhere we played it.

• Members

I would happily play freebird, if we had a keys player that nails it. Otherwise, I don't like it.

If I was in a band that had the instrumentation to pull it off, I also wouldn't really have a problem playing it, although I can't see it really flying with our normal crowd.

Not sure why people don't wanna play Freebird, drunk-guy-in-the-bar-shouting-it aside...

• Members

Do it to the beat of Poker Face.

:lol:

when someone yells FREEBIRD! we tell 'em for a modest tip we will play freebird but you may not like our rendition. if they push and ask how much of a tip we usually say about $1000, in cash right now... hurry up cuz you are holding up the show. We still have some more Lady gaga to get through before we can rock the epic that is known as FREEBIRD!

that shuts 'em up.

i guess it all depends on who your band is. we don't get many requests for freebird anymore. when someone does yell it, it is usually in jest.

BTW anyone know where the hell that originated? Why don't smart asses yell smoke on the water? or Iron Man? or getting back to another LS song like 3 steps or that smell or something?

• Members

BTW anyone know where the hell that originated? Why don't smart asses yell smoke on the water? or Iron Man? or getting back to another LS song like 3 steps or that smell or something?

My guess it that it is:

- the name is short and easily understandable over the noise of a bar crowd

- when people did that for real to LS, it must have been super-annoying because they actually have a bunch of kick-ass songs but all anyone ever REALLY wanted to hear was "Freebird"

- the song itself captures the spirit of a redneck beer-soaked loser that most people channel when they go see live music

- they actually want to hear Freebird more than any other song

• Members

I recall a thread on this last year. I could never figure why bands who play Southern Rock avoid Freebird, since Freebird is the "Confederate National Anthem".

We play it, but hadn't for a long time. I do the keyboard parts, and whenever we play it, people go out of their way to thank us for doing it.

People say it's overplayed, but I rarely hear anyone play it. WTF?

By other bands not playing it, it just makes us look that much better. I mean, if we can do I Know a Little, That Smell, plus the regular Skynyrd songs, why not Freebird?

I hear many of the other Skynyrd songs played a heck of a lot more than Freebird, that's for sure.

• Members

I'm 25 and have never heard it played except when I saw "Lynyrd Skynyrd" (I forget who was in the band at the time) with .38 Special opening. Maybe it was overplayed when you guys were my age, but it isn't now. Hell, a lot of people my age don't even know the song...

• Members

I'm proud that my band closes about every other show with FB. Our (one and only) guitar player plays the Hell out of it. When I first joined the band I dreaded playing that song but now I look forward to it- it's the perfect way to end a night of jamming on Southern rock and outlaw country.

My "Freebird Stance": After years of being overplayed and turning into a joke, followed by years of not being covered by live bands, FB is cool again- if played by a kick-ass band such as mine or _____(your band here):)

• Members

:lol:

when someone yells FREEBIRD! we tell 'em for a modest tip we will play freebird but you may not like our rendition. if they push and ask how much of a tip we usually say about $1000, in cash right now... hurry up cuz you are holding up the show. We still have some more Lady gaga to get through before we can rock the epic that is known as FREEBIRD!

that shuts 'em up.

i guess it all depends on who your band is. we don't get many requests for freebird anymore. when someone does yell it, it is usually in jest.

My theory is that when it first came out it quickly became not just a song, but a genuine "Party Anthem". I mean the kind that when you heard it start you felt like you had to stand up and put your hand over your heart kind of "Party Anthem". Much like "Stairway To Heaven". Don't know why it so caught the imagination the way it did. One of those inexplicable things. I just know that it became an instant "Classic". I for one love hearing it played live if it's done halfway well. We closed out a back yard barbeque with it last summer and the crowd of about twenty to thirty hardcore hangers went nuts over it.

• Members

...BTW anyone know where the hell that originated? Why don't smart asses yell smoke on the water? or Iron Man? or getting back to another LS song like 3 steps or that smell or something?

I think that the baton got passed to "Freebird" from "Whipping Post". Remember the Zappa thing with the dude yelling "Whipping Post", and the ensuing "Montana"/"Whipping Post" deal? Zappa even recorded a couple of version of "Whipping Post" (one live, one studio, I think).

jamieb

+++++

Archived