First time this has ever happened to me in 30+ years of gigging

• Members

I got through the entire night with my oldies/classic rock band without playing "Brown-Eyed Girl", "Mustang Sally", "Proud Mary", or "Old Time Rock and Roll".:eek:

Not sure why; it just never ocurred to me to call them out to the rest of the guys.

We did play "Sweet Home Alabama", though.

Twice.:facepalm:

When we were ready to start the night, the jukebox was playing Kid Rock's "All Summer Long", and as soon as the song ended, we went right into SHA (For those not in the know, it's the same song with different words).

Then at the very end of the night, one of the bar patrons made a polite request ("PLAY SOME F-ING SKYNYRD!!!!"), so we did it again.

• Members

We have only played Brown Eyed Girl once by request. And believe it or not it has only been requested once.

We play Sally usually only at private parties

We have never played proud mary

We play our Sweet Home/all summer/werewolves medley every few shows. It still gets a good response but we are tired of playing it so we don't do it often.

• Members

PM and OTRnR are not on our songlist. SWA comes out for special request only--maybe once every 6 or 7 shows. MS only comes out when we're playing for a VERY old crowd. We haven't played that one in well over a year. BEG has been relegated to the "weddings only" setlist where it is usually our opening tune.

But those have all been replaced by the "new" tired classics---Jessie, Jenny and all of their friends from the 80s.

• Members

But those have all been replaced by the "new" tired classics---Jessie, Jenny and all of their friends from the 80s.

hahah! I hear that! But we are playing Jesse and Your Love less and less at our club gigs. They seem to be fading in response, or maybe its just our crowd getting younger? :idk:

We still play Jenny every gig though because of the crowd participation we do with it.

If we were more of a classic/ oldies band though I am sure we would be playing BEG, MS, PM and OTR&R a lot more!

• Members

hahah! I hear that! But we are playing Jesse and Your Love less and less at our club gigs. They seem to be fading in response, or maybe its just our crowd getting younger?
:idk:
We still play Jenny every gig though because of the crowd participation we do with it.

Right now, we have a fairly long medley that starts with Your Love into Jesse's Girl that goes over extremely well for us. I can't see that leaving anytime soon. Interestingly, I find those songs go over best with the college crowd.

• Members

hahah! I hear that! But we are playing Jesse and Your Love less and less at our club gigs. They seem to be fading in response, or maybe its just our crowd getting younger?
:idk:

If we were more of a classic/ oldies band though I am sure we would be playing BEG, MS, PM and OTR&R a lot more!

Actually, I'm noticing a decreased response in Jessie and Jenny as well. The "new" pop classics seem to be the 90s dance tunes we do: Gonna Make You Sweat, Good Vibrations, Express Yourself--that sort of stuff is what has been packing the dance floor the most lately.

The 80s pop songs are fading, but the 80s rock is still strong: Livin on a Prayer, Pour Some Sugar, etc.

• Members

The 80s pop songs are fading, but the 80s rock is still strong: Livin on a Prayer, Pour Some Sugar, etc.

Off topic, but with Santana's version of Photograph (which I think stinks, but whatever) all over the radio now, I'm thinking it's time to dust that bad boy off...

• Members

Off topic, but with Santana's version of Photograph (which I think stinks, but whatever) all over the radio now, I'm thinking it's time to dust that bad boy off...

I haven't heard that yet--I'll have to check it out.

I've been looking for an excuse to play Photograph for years now. Love the song, but always felt it was a little too down-beat for what we do and not enough chick-appeal. But nothing like a new cover version to make an old song hip again.

• Members

We were talking about the same thing over the weekend. I didn't know it was a santana cover until I heard Santana put his "santana solo" in the middle of the tune. :lol:

Dave, You're right about 80s rock though, at least with us- Sugar still gets a big response.

• Members

We have never played proud mary

QUOTE]

Back in the 1970's, the musicians' union in Lancaster, PA, used to put out a monthly newsletter (maybe they still do for all I know). One of the front covers had a picture of a band playing at some union function. On the front of the bass drum, the drummer had printed in big letters "WE DON'T PLAY PROUD MARY!"

• Members

We actually just recently added Proud Mary....

But we do the Tina Turner version and our singer kills it, it works.

+1 A definite staple in our show. We do it as a medley with "Shout". Nothing like turning a club into a wedding reception :D Now if we could just pull off "Hot Hot Hot"

• Members

+1 A definite staple in our show. We do it as a medley with "Shout". Nothing like turning a club into a wedding reception
:D
Now if we could just pull off "Hot Hot Hot"

All you need is to do is play a bit of "Pour Some Sugar" during the garter toss, and you're good to go!

• Members

we just picked up Photograph because of the Daughtry Santana revival of it, but we're doing more of the original version. We have Proud Mary and Mustang Sally on our list but they are mostly 1st set stuff at a venue we do that has an older early crowd. Brown Eyed Girl, not on the list, probably won't be. I've played it enough already... same with Sweet Home. I have no desire to ever play that again.

Archived