First self produced demo

snoggin

• Members

Hey there, I'm hoping to get some feedback on my first attempt at recording and mixing with my latest cover band.. We did this all live in my rehearsal space using direct outs off my mixwiz into an apogee Ensemble, and drums and bass thru a Motu 8 pre and then MacBook Pro and Logic.

No overdubs vocals and everything done live but I did add some effects. The direct outs are completely dry on the mixwiz.

I think it came out ok but interested in things that could be improved. Its my first real try at recording a project.

Learn to Fly

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10696285

Man in the Box

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10696334

We'd only played Man in the Box once or twice before but it was fun.. I didnt have enough buffer on while recording I guess and lost the las 20 seconds of the song to a white noise burst..

We recorded seven songs in one night on Wed and I mixed them and we fine tuned em by committee yesterday.. There is a Big car show we might be able to get the gig but they need a demo by Tuesday.

Interested what you guys think

Thanks for any help

• Members

I thought learn to fly sounded solid-really very good. I think that quality of demo will get you gigs. The second tune I didn't like as much- I noticed a little noise the beginning of the second tune-I'd trim that out. The guitar also seemed a little rough at the beginning, but as I'm about three minutes into the tune, it sounds good. Lead singer sounds good in upper register. Back ground vocals are a little muddy on both tunes, but good enough for a demo I think. Guitar solo tone is a little muted for my taste-maybe a bit more highs and a little more effect. Make sure to fade that tune before it cuts out;)

Overall pretty solid, again more than good enough to get gigs, and for a live recording, no overdubs, very good.

• Members

The recording quality is quite good; good levels and great sounds. The band sounds real good although a little more work on the songs wouldn't hurt, for example there's a couple licks missing on the Fly song (and I know it's tough to pull of with only one guitar!) like the ending of the main riff where there is a B to Ab note. PM me if you'd like a copy of the magazine tabs for that one.

• Members

Personally I dont like tab as a lot of it I have seen is wrong lol. But I'll listen some more to the tune. I find you can find a lot on yu tube and actually atch smeone playing sometimes, but I digress.I have been learning a bunch of new material and dont have all the nuances yet. But we dont trip on exact to much any way.

I wasn't real happy with the guitar tone on any of it really but I just to work on mic placement my tone settings for recording. And learn how to work the wah lol!! I hardly ever use it and it shows.

Thanks for the feedback. So any feedback on spacial stuff?

The recording quality is quite good; good levels and great sounds. The band sounds real good although a little more work on the songs wouldn't hurt, for example there's a couple licks missing on the Fly song (and I know it's tough to pull of with only one guitar!) like the ending of the main riff where there is a B to Ab note. PM me if you'd like a copy of the magazine tabs for that one.

• Members

I agree, it's plenty good enough quality for a rush job demo to get gigs with. Mostly they just want to hear an example of the type of music you play, & that your band doesn't suck, and clearly you're pretty good. You could tweak both of them pretty quickly by splitting & muting/deleting the guitar tracks just before the guitar actually plays. that wouldn't solve the open air/static type sound through the track but it would make the intro cleaner.

• Members

Personally I dont like tab as a lot of it I have seen is wrong lol.

Stop getting it on the internet, and maybe tab will help you. It definitely wouldn't hurt, since based on what I've heard your ear isn't really up to the task (cases in point: intro guitar and bridge vocals of "Learn to Fly")

Sorry that was pretty harsh, but I find it foolish when people just categorically poop on tabs. If you get them from people on the net with crappy ears, then yes, tabs suck. But if you get them from people who are mostly pretty good, like professional transcribers, they're actually incredibly helpful and can make up for a lack of ear (or a lack of time) on your part. I know they've done that for me.

Recordings otherwise sound good, though. Work on your phrasing, both on the guitar and on vocals - that's the biggest flaw.

Again, sorry for the harshness. Trying to be constructive without just kissing your ass. Sometimes that comes off a little more raw than I intend. :)

Brian V.

• Members

Dont worry I get what you are saying and not offended at all. I have a kind of hybrid philosophy on the cover accuracy question.. I agree you need to hit the signature parts of songs that people expect but for good or bad I'm interested in developing as a player with my own sensibilities and style. I think if the performance is GOOD and the band is tight the audience will appreciate it regardless if it perfectly mimics the original recording or not.

That said I will ALWAYS listen to constructive criticism and I am going to check out the parts that you mentioned and give em a closer listen.. I admit I just turned on You tube and played along with the song a few times to learn it. The Bridge vocals I just did what felt right at the time lol.. I think we are going to add a lot of harmonies to the song that arent there in the original anyway.

Stop getting it on the internet, and maybe tab will help you. It definitely wouldn't hurt, since based on what I've heard your ear isn't really up to the task (cases in point: intro guitar and bridge vocals of "Learn to Fly")

Sorry that was pretty harsh, but I find it foolish when people just categorically poop on tabs. If you get them from people on the net with crappy ears, then yes, tabs suck. But if you get them from people who are mostly pretty good, like professional transcribers, they're actually incredibly helpful and can make up for a lack of ear (or a lack of time) on your part. I know they've done that for me.

Recordings otherwise sound good, though. Work on your phrasing, both on the guitar and on vocals - that's the biggest flaw.

Again, sorry for the harshness. Trying to be constructive without just kissing your ass. Sometimes that comes off a little more raw than I intend.
:)
Brian V.

• Members

I didnt worry to much about accurate trimming as I am going to cut the seven tunes into snippets with fades for the demo and pick out the best minute to minute and a half of each song. I didnt think the bleed was that noticeable throughout the song.. I am sure its there though ( has to be). I did cut the vocal tracks up and guitars etc to only the portions they were actually playing.. You notice the bleed then if you dont fade each region in, say when all the vocals come back in after a solo or something.. The Bleed creates an audible pop type sound unless you fade it back in and out.

I'm learning though :)

I agree, it's plenty good enough quality for a rush job demo to get gigs with. Mostly they just want to hear an example of the type of music you play, & that your band doesn't suck, and clearly you're pretty good. You could tweak both of them pretty quickly by splitting & muting/deleting the guitar tracks just before the guitar actually plays. that wouldn't solve the open air/static type sound through the track but it would make the intro cleaner.

• Members

I think we are going to add a lot of harmonies to the song that arent there in the original anyway.

Pet peeve #2 of mine... :facepalm:

In my experience, it is RARE that adding vocal harmonies will improve a song that didn't need them in the first place. But get down with yo' bad self. :)

Brian V.

• Members

Pet peeve #2 of mine...
:facepalm:

In my experience, it is RARE that adding vocal harmonies will improve a song that didn't need them in the first place. But get down with yo' bad self.
:)
Brian V.

Lol, who was it that sang "you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself". ??? I don't know , I bet if I looked into it there are LOTS of songs with various renditions and levels of harmony.

• Members

personally I love harmonies

Me three, we actually can do some nice three part. I'll put up some Beatles and eagles and original when we get em recorded. I love to work on that stuff, super fun and exciting when you get it dialed in and it starts to bloom.

• Members

I feel like you guys are missing my point completely. I LOVE harmonies.

The reason ADDING them is a pet peeve for me is that a song that didn't have harmonies in the first place often gets a heaping helping of sucky ones (because most people cannot create interesting harmonies) by people who think that simply adding a harmony always improves the song. What I'm saying is that it generally doesn't help. It {censored}s {censored} up.

There are many reasons why people don't sing harmonies on everything, one of them being that sometimes a melody is best on its own.

"Learn To Fly" is a song that does not benefit from additional vocal harmony parts. There are open strings clanging out suspended chords all over the place, Rush-style, and unless you're creative at adding harmony and have a true understanding of how it all fits together and how to make things sound good in that sort of harmonic stew, it's going to sound stupid and wrong. I know this because I played with a drummer who LOVED to add harmony to everything, including this song...she was a good singer, but just didn't understand that what she was doing was NOT helping matters - just making a nice pile of CHUNGE in the vocals. It sounded so bad I actually asked her to stop.

There are times when adding harmonies helps - but they are far outnumbered by the times when they don't. That's all I'm saying. :)

Make it sound good if you do it, that's all I ask, for the benefit of the world... ;)

Brian V.

Archived