Someone has put up my music to download....

• Members

My band has just released a new cd on Friday and to my amazement, it has already been put up on a blog to download. :rolleyes:

We're only a small, DIY kind of band so have limited the release initially to just 100, numbered copies as we were not sure how much it would sell.

I cant say I'm very happy about it being made available for free after JUST ONE DAY!!! I don't really know how to handle the situation. Should I ask the guy to take it down? Or do I need to get with the times and accept this is the way things are done now? He also has our previous album available to download too, which I'm not bothered about as it's currently out of print.

To be fair to him he has given a link to where you can buy the new cd and writes : "They are a small band so support them by buying the album, if you like them".

Hmmmm....any advice?

• Members

I think this is how it's done by a lot of people these days--I don't think the dude was trying to screw you, I'll bet he thinks he's helping you out. Send him a friendly message, and see if you can work out with him streaming the album, or having 2-3 songs to download, or something like that.

• Members

I politely asked him to take it down and he did so right away. He was very apologetic about it.

I told him I had no problem with one or two songs up plus I gave him links to a couple of youtube videos. So there's now four songs from the album that are available for people to check out, which is plenty imo.

• Members

I politely asked him to take it down and he did so right away. He was very apologetic about it.

I told him I had no problem with one or two songs up plus I gave him links to a couple of youtube videos. So there's now four songs from the album that are available for people to check out, which is plenty imo.

That's good to hear. I only know a couple bloggers but they seem to be very reasonable about these things. Usually posting only one song, and if you ask them to take it down, they will.

I was a bit amused to come across your post because my band just recorded an EP. We've mixed two songs and will mix the remaining two (plus an extra non-EP track) this week. And hopefully will have everything mastered fairly soon.

We all agreed not to send the mixed unmastered mp3s to anyone with one exception (guy doing our cover art), though we can play them for friends/family. While I backed the idea completely, it also felt a little paranoid to me. I figured "why would anyone want to leak mp3s from an EP by a band few have heard of?" But after reading your post, maybe they were on to something.

Archived